Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 5:40am
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

About the early posts with the ACM number on the tailgate. I don't know if it would have being a '48. I know the 45 and 46 models did, but I was thinking Willys brought body production in house by then.

If i can recall correctly - i read somewhere in the forum that some 48's should have it. I should have referenced the link in that post. But i am not 100% certain anymore. 

But as suggested in the next post - tailgate ACM is possible. 

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 07 Jan. 2019 at 5:42am
The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 5:46am
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

How about elongating the valve spring on a rock?! Confused Now that's impressive! I enjoy your build thread too, thanks for sharing.

We have to make do with what we have in all honesty. We don't even have a work bench - something i offered but my mechanic has weak knees so being on the ground is his way to go. Most of the restoration is being done in my home and we don't have many tools - in fact no power tools. Thank you for your encouragement 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 2:05am

This flap in the exhaust manifold was welded shut. I am not sure what the repercussions of this action were - but we have fixed it and it now moves 

can anyone explain what is the purpose of this flap - i have not been able to learn from the mechanic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 3:01am

Manifold after Repair

When the previous head was fitted , one of the studs had been welded and sanded and then the bolt that went on it was also welded. 

When trying to fit it back the stud broke. We had to have the stud removed and a new one fitted .. luckily the threads on the head were also not damaged 

Cleaning the head with kerosene - a very common method 

After the stud repair 

The Gasket came from RFJP

We discovered a new problem. We had purchased a replacement crank pulley. Now the issue is that the key cotter is loose (i am not sure of the right term here) 

To Describe - the square bit where there is a small square gap between the shaft and the crank for the cotter key - the square bit on the pulley is wider than normal. My father says they will try and shape it into the right size using a shaping machine. 

Lets see how we go. 

alaskanrocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 6:55pm
Great Post Arsene, This is what I consider to be the epitome of true skill. Making things work with what you have. Growing up in Alaska that is exactly what we have needed to do at times. With a bit of smarts and all the right parts and tools almost anyone can build an engine, but making it work with the incorrect parts is what impresses me. Impresses me almost as much as how your mechanic manages to stay so clean, If I even so much as look the direction of my Jeep I get filthy dirty.
Again, Great Story, Thanks for sharing, keep up the good work!!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 8:11pm
The "flap" in the exhaust manifold is basically a carburetor preheat...when cold, exhaust the flap directs hot exhaust gas to the base of the intake manifold below the carb and preheating the fuel charge.  As the engine warms the bimetal spring moves the flap and the exhaust gases are diverted.  Welding it "shut" (diverting exhaust out the tailpipe) would be accepting less than optimum cold weather starts and warm up, but be in the correct position most of the time...

Edited by mbullism - 10 Jan. 2019 at 8:24pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 3:18am
Originally posted by Arsene Wenger Arsene Wenger wrote:

Now the issue is that the key cotter is loose (i am not sure of the right term here) 

Is it a half-circle shaped item?  That's called a "woodruff" key. 

There's some excellent work going on there!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by alaskanrocket alaskanrocket wrote:

Great Post Arsene, This is what I consider to be the epitome of true skill. Making things work with what you have. Growing up in Alaska that is exactly what we have needed to do at times. With a bit of smarts and all the right parts and tools almost anyone can build an engine, but making it work with the incorrect parts is what impresses me. Impresses me almost as much as how your mechanic manages to stay so clean, If I even so much as look the direction of my Jeep I get filthy dirty.
Again, Great Story, Thanks for sharing, keep up the good work!!

Thank You Smile

Words like these are great motivation. Appreciate it . 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

The "flap" in the exhaust manifold is basically a carburetor preheat...when cold, exhaust the flap directs hot exhaust gas to the base of the intake manifold below the carb and preheating the fuel charge.  As the engine warms the bimetal spring moves the flap and the exhaust gases are diverted.  Welding it "shut" (diverting exhaust out the tailpipe) would be accepting less than optimum cold weather starts and warm up, but be in the correct position most of the time...

Cheers. Makes sense. If some of these numbered parts are missing (will double check) - are these hard to find ? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Now the issue is that the key cotter is loose (i am not sure of the right term here) 

Is it a half-circle shaped item?  That's called a "woodruff" key. 

There's some excellent work going on there!  Thumbs Up

Spot on - That's the word i could not remember when posting this. Thank You 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 1:28pm
Bracket had a Crack - Welding it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 1:46pm
So we hit a small road block - When we started torquing the bolts - we realized one stud could not take the right amount of torque - it would start moving along with the bolt after a certain pressure. 

So the choice was to remove the head or go ahead..  well it was not really a choice was it 

so on removing the head - we discovered that one of the studs was also welded in the past , and the threads were completely gone - not usable at all. 

A quick back story before i carry on with how the problem was fixed. The gentleman on the right is called Pandit Ji. He had a triple heart surgery a year or so ago - after coming out of hospital, he sold all his lathe machines. Those lathe machines ran on old school belts. To describe how they were powered - when the main power was switched on in his shop, these huge belts strung along the side walls and the roof would start moving across rollers and power his lathe machines. 

Now with the machines gone - he would just open his shop and talk to his mates in the market but not really work. 

To fix the predicament of creating a new stud  - we had to buy a piece of hardened metal and we needed someone to fabricate it back for a L134. 

So we went searching for Pandit Ji - luckily found him sitting outside his shop basking in the winter sun. We went to another fellows shop who is young and has no interest in these things (or the skills)  Pandit Ji shaped the stud - then we needed to create the threads to match the other studs. My father says it is not a very easy skill to have. It is quite complex something he struggled with in his engineering school 

Pandit Ji used what is called a Norton Lathe machine and created the threads. He was always well known for his precise machining skills. 

The result is in the image below. I am not sure if the story above is interesting for the readers but i thought i should share 

We will now torque it and see how we go ! 

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 11 Jan. 2019 at 1:50pm

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 3:15pm
Let me know if you need any of the heat control parts.... I would be happy to donate a couple small parts to your build Wink
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 5:19am

I am not sure if the story above is interesting for the readers but i thought i should share

This reader finds the story very interesting.  Thanks for sharing it! 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 3:39pm
   Arsene:

Well, I skipped thru pages 2-6, and jumped from pg 1 to this page 7.

Your skills remind me of my father who grew up in rural America when lots of farming was "dry-farming", and the farmers Had to be able to make their own repairs because he grew up in the '30's Depression. Back then men had to make their own-repairs frequently with what materials they had on-hand right !

I was wanting to ask you about your welding:
   Do you do most of your welding using Oxy / Acetylene ?   "torch-welding" ?

I noticed the repair on the Carburator base. Do you know if that was a torch weld or Arch-weld with maybe nickel rod ?

What to do right !   _ _ _ _ grit your teeth and grin-and-bear-it. hahaha

One of these evenings, I will have to go back and look thru pgs 2 thru 6.

My exhaust heat control valve swings freely, so thanks to the attached photos and info, from the member's, I now have an understanding of what I will need to do to refurbish mine.

A good and interesting thread. You see, with the fabrication of the stud for the head, us American's, we just get on the internet, and order-up new studs to be shipped overnight.
   Dag-nabbit, I am "old-school" and order most of my parts from the local Napa Auto Parts shop, if I can.

Hey, I like your note at the bottom of your page where it says the castle is as good as the foundation:    castle's have a defensible-space, and I am seeing with the frequency of Wildfires here in California, that some rural communities may need to consider a "defensible-space" to have a fighting chance against the new Raging-Inferno's. (thinking in terms of Survival).

Len

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2019 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

Arsene:

Well, I skipped thru pages 2-6, and jumped from pg 1 to this page 7.

Your skills remind me of my father who grew up in rural America when lots of farming was "dry-farming", and the farmers Had to be able to make their own repairs because he grew up in the '30's Depression. Back then men had to make their own-repairs frequently with what materials they had on-hand right !

I was wanting to ask you about your welding:
   Do you do most of your welding using Oxy / Acetylene ?   "torch-welding" ?

I noticed the repair on the Carburator base. Do you know if that was a torch weld or Arch-weld with maybe nickel rod ?

What to do right !   _ _ _ _ grit your teeth and grin-and-bear-it. hahaha

One of these evenings, I will have to go back and look thru pgs 2 thru 6.

My exhaust heat control valve swings freely, so thanks to the attached photos and info, from the member's, I now have an understanding of what I will need to do to refurbish mine.

A good and interesting thread. You see, with the fabrication of the stud for the head, us American's, we just get on the internet, and order-up new studs to be shipped overnight.
   Dag-nabbit, I am "old-school" and order most of my parts from the local Napa Auto Parts shop, if I can.

Hey, I like your note at the bottom of your page where it says the castle is as good as the foundation:    castle's have a defensible-space, and I am seeing with the frequency of Wildfires here in California, that some rural communities may need to consider a "defensible-space" to have a fighting chance against the new Raging-Inferno's. (thinking in terms of Survival).

Len

Hello Len - Thank You for your feedback. To answer your question - yes al welding till date has been Oxy Acetylene welding. 

I hear you about the the wildfires. They are getting worse as seasons go by. We struggle with them every year as well. We probably don't have the quantum of people and development exposed to the wildfires like you do in California. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2019 at 1:01am
Oil pump ready 

Woodruff key worked like a charm - gears fitted and pulley complete 

Oil filter fitted. The bracket repair went well 

Oil Pan cleaned repaired - dings fixed  

Mix of CJ2A , DJ3A and some bolts i could not identify 

Oil Pan painted 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2019 at 1:11am
RFJP Water pump fitted. I did not have an original water pump and it was not worth restoring it. I was lucky enough to land one ready made piece from the US instead of scrounging shops and junk yards 

Strategic Balance - Oh if i had an engine stand :-) 

Forgot to add these earlier 

We would not have been able to find this filter here so we cleaned the gunk and will be using the same  

Sharing photo of the patent and the cover 

Prepping to start the engine 

It is ready !! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>