Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2019 at 10:43pm
Not much has happened due to inclement weather - we had heaps of rain and hail 

Did work on the clutch - 

Note the white bits on the forged iron 

there were a lot dings and bumps on the plate as a result of the use of hammers while adjusting them over a period of time. 

Mechanic used a file to make the surface smooth 

I am fascinated with numbers - anyone has an idea about what these numbers mean 

That's it for the time being - the last bit of the clean up 
The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 1:09pm
Howdy Folks - Some more work done - Progress has been slow due to errors on our part and the inability to find parts

Preliminary clean with Kerosene oil

As you can see - the seal is well and truly gone. Will share a story later in the post about how much harassment this caused us due to an inexplicable mistake

Note the location of the ring around the bearings 

Since the placement of the ring was wrong - it kept touching against the bolts and destroyed the threads. Someone at some point in time did not care when making this repair 

The rings placed in the right manner so that they won't touch against the bolts - Did this small variation in the flange to accommodate the bolts come from factory or is a bubba / after market job? My father reckons it is factory original 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 1:18pm
Now the story about the seal - after removing it - my mechanic and pandit ji (who i mentioned earlier in the thread) both said - the size of the seal is 19 mm - so we can fit a 19 mm to a 20 mm sea on the inside and 33 mm on the outside  - depending on the type 

Without actually measuring the diameter we began a week long search checking every small and dusty by-lane for this fabled seal but to no avail. One of the most frustrating exercises because parts of the town are many centuries old so cars can't get there. You walk from one place to the other through byzantine lanes hoping to strike gold. 

Anyway - some one made us 20 mm seal and when we tried to fit it - it would not fit. It was too tight !! 

That is where my father asked for the seal and he checked with his Vernier Caliper and realized that the size needed is 23 or 24 mm on the inside and 33 on the outside !! Now this size was available (almost) - we bought 23 and 24 mm seals  (we could not stomach the thought of buying them one by one in case the first one was not the right size LOL

So they right size on the inside but on the outside we found them to be 35 mm. Undeterred - took them on the lathe and made them to a size 33 on the outside - might be off if measured in microns but since it is rubber we are confident it will do the job

Man it was frustrating !! 

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 20 Mar. 2019 at 1:44pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 1:29pm

Plonked on a chair and tied for safety reasons  Wink- draining the oil 

The gears look very nice and clean - no marks really. That explains why they always shifted smoothly

The Cover cleaned nicely 

Prepped up and clean

Found these gaskets locally. We punched the holes ourselves

The drain bolt has some weak threads. We have to figure out what to do with it 

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 1:29pm
Arsene, the snap ring on that bearing is very wide, and someone has eased the width in places to make it work.  The transmissions I have opened have all had a narrower ring which clears the bolt holes, the bearings I have ordered have all come with the wider snap ring...which gets tossed in favor of reusing the older/original...

I envision it's because the newly ordered bearings have many applications, most of which either require or tolerate the wider ring.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 1:34pm

Guys any idea about these numbers - on the gear and on the cast externally ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 1:41pm
I had forgotten to share some of the clutch work that we had done earlier 

Came out nice and clean !! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2019 at 12:56am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Arsene, the snap ring on that bearing is very wide, and someone has eased the width in places to make it work.  The transmissions I have opened have all had a narrower ring which clears the bolt holes, the bearings I have ordered have all come with the wider snap ring...which gets tossed in favor of reusing the older/original...

I envision it's because the newly ordered bearings have many applications, most of which either require or tolerate the wider ring.

Thank you for confirming ! 

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2019 at 2:44am
It looks to me like the bearing retainer snap ring is too thick to fit into the groove in the bearing, hence its being stretched in diameter and the subsequent damage to it and the bolts.  Bubba strikes again!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 3:36am
Gents some more progress made so sharing some photos

Someone went to the effort of painting the bell housing all green like the rest of the Jeep eliminating all traces of the black paint

Handbrake to be fitted later 

Like the engine the T90 shows signs of being exposed to water for a prolonged period of time. There is some rust and the teeth are not 100% but not that bad either. The shim that has been fitted has eliminated all "play" 

Note the weld repair here. We hope this will last - Mechanic was satisfied so who am i to question !! 

Voila - T90 - ready and rearing to go 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 3:43am

Spicer Serial Number - Guys I have looked but not in depth - is there a chart some where on this website which gives the right factory range of the T90 serial number if it were from factory? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 11:27am
Hello all - work moved to the hand brake and we need to ensure it actually works !! 

Sharing some more photos of the progress 

So this was the first challenge. Doc Chauhan who is also on this forum helped me secure the hand brake parts. However we discovered this problem and we had no replacement 

This was problem # 2 - The old castle nut - the threads were gone 

This pin was old , threads were gone and it moved and rattled when inserted 

The Fix

We fabricated a new castle nut with new threads

Gas Welding to fix the broken bits - this was still rough a this moment and the lack of a smooth surface was a risk - though it was not as bad as the photos suggest

The pin was the hardest bit. We realized the hole where it would go was slightly larger than normal with use and wear and tear. So we found an oversized plain bolt , created the right threads , machined it and shaped it , removed the bolt head and shaped it like an original pin at the top and added the castle nut so that it was a snug fit in the over sized bore. 

I think it came out really well - What say guys? 

The gas weld sanded by hand came out nice - My father is confident it won't break. 

The fit - nice and snug 

Moving on

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 12:03pm
You cannot argue with the results Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2019 at 1:21am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

You cannot argue with the results Thumbs Up

Thank You sir. We got everything together again but there was a hitch. We think it is the fuel pump. Let's see what happens

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2019 at 3:30am
Yes, good work there.  NOT Bubba, by any means!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2019 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Yes, good work there.  NOT Bubba, by any means!  Thumbs Up

Not Bubba for sure !! :-) 

So we could not figure out that why the engine was not starting, all of sudden - we initially thought something wrong with the float - Opened the engine but could not figure anything out. Drained oil , put it back again.  

We put it back again - retired for the day , tried again. It started the first time but it sputtered. But it ran better increasingly and we adjusted the carb a bit till it ran nice and smooth. 

Mechanic's guess is that since we had kept the engine in a tilted position , the oil pump ran completely dry. Usually it has some even if the vehicle is stationary and not started for sometime but the angle of the engine drained it completely. This is just a theory and we are not 100 % certain 

So after running the engine and heating the head - we torqued the bolts to the right settings and then final adjustments of the valves before everything is removed and ready for painting 

Attaching some photos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2019 at 1:04pm

This is after we put everything back again and seems to be running nice. 

Ready for paint !! 

flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2019 at 3:26pm
I have really enjoyed this thread!
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>