Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Auction Listings / Classified Ads/ Jeeps for Sale Sightings!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote la072309 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1948 cj2a
    Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 4:32am
Found this looking for flat fenders. what do you think besides price point? Looks to be a good restoration. Just trying to educate myself more. I see its got a solex carb and newer readiator and no rear bumper hitch but what else is off if anything? Did any cj2a come with doors or just the soft top? 
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 4:49am
Yep, about 4X of what it is worth.
john
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 5:27am
Originally posted by uncamoney uncamoney wrote:

Yep, about 4X of what it is worth.

So, that's a $5000 jeep? Just trying to understand your meaning. I'm always interested in what others think this stuff is worth. I personally don't think there is an old jeep out there worth 20 large unless Pattons pistol is still in the glove box. But I don't think like most folks maybe. I'm sure people get that much invested in restoration if having someone else do all the work. 

Edited by wheelie - 01 Apr. 2021 at 5:30am
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 12:40pm
Even with it's "faults" that's more than 5k, but for me personally once you get past 8 details really matter.  Trouble is, they probably have 15-18 in it.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 1:56pm
Yeah and we know you very rarely get back what you put into it... I think the red one you posted would sell in 10-12K range maybe? (I honestly don't know it's just my opinion)

This one has been for sale for quite some time now at 22K:

This one has some nice accessories too... I don't see many of the civilian jeeps selling when priced that high. Military Jeeps can bring in the 20's.

Both Jeeps are really nice! I think the one above would sell in the 12-14K range maybe? 

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 2:29pm
This one just sold very quickly by me in CT, although I do not know for how much:
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 5:34pm
I suppose you start out high so can lower the price, optimists are everywhere. An old neighbor rebuilt antique cars, the last one I worked with him on was a 1906 Buick. No clue what it sold for.
I have a couple of people that want to buy my 3B.
 "Oh, I need to ask my wife. Oh things are a bit tight this month". I already added up it's value and dropped the price to $4.000. I'm fair.
john
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 8:39pm
If you look on EWillys -  Unbelievable what those prices are these days often for "vehicle residue" for $5k.

Picking apart the red 1948:
It actually looks like a pretty nice Jeep - Just minor stuff, all bolt on and available if someone wanted to make a 98% correct 1948 CJ2A - Looks like the hard work has been done.  Need better pictures for more detailed picking apart.  The restored ones like this, will probably still be here in 50 to 100 years -the rust buckets will slip into time.  It is a Jeep so you get to have it your way - picking is really only for educational purposes.  No body gets a 100% score on a 1948 except for maybe Art and one or two others that are survivors.

Radiator, Radiator stay(missing), grill horse hair missing 
Carb
Beachwood style seat cushions -not very correct - seams on the bottom cushions are in the wrong place - might not have springs and hair.
Beachwood soft top - no metal window frames
Rear seat is early 2A - But could be original to that 1948 as dealers had stashes of options they put on and took off of Jeeps depending on customer wants.
Not sure where the horn is?  Not on the fender like expected on a 1948
Long adjustable arm on the drivers side mirror - 1948 had either a short or Long single piece arm.
Windshield pivot bolts are early 2A.  1948 would have had bolt looking not wingnut style.
MB style windshield wiper tied together - need a vacuum wiper on the drivers side.
Gas Cap is newer style
Looks to be 12 volts not 6 volts
Hose clamps are wrong (radiator), missing (oil fill tube)  and correct on the oil bath air cleaner
Radiator cap is wrong style - Just round no grip pints
Missing Rain gutter
CCNDT not NDT
Battery hold down - missing - fender wing nut battery stay missing

Edited by Stev - 01 Apr. 2021 at 8:40pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 10:22pm
At least it wasn't a generals jeep during the Korean war LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 5:35pm
   WELL:

I reached out in December 2017, and bought me a '46 cj2a so i would have one before they become out of reach like the early Ford Bronco's.   
What i was looking for was a Willys with mostly stock drivetrain and L134.   The ad said "will run."   LoL

Like an old care salesman reminded me:   "there is an ass for every seat" !

So i bought the first junker i looked at, and didn't even have to go back with a trailer.  It has a Tow Bar !

Why is it that when people sell parts, they don't tell us the "actual" Selling Price ?

I paid $1800 for my '46 2a in Dec. 2017, and am glad i have one of my own.    hahaha
I reminded my wife that it is Yard Art, until i complete several other irons in the Fire !
We'll see how that all works out.    _ _ by the way _ _ _ it hasn't moved since parked.
( i've been busy building a transmission for it ).

Gordon's little Cow-Trailer willys is nice and straight, and what a jewel. 
I like running balloon tires in my area, which is mostly lava flows, tall skinny tires don't wrap around irregularities like a  32" bias ply aired down to 10-psi or less.  :)
Skinny tires with a Locking diff is a diff-erent story all together.

wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Even with it's "faults" that's more than 5k, but for me personally once you get past 8 details really matter.  Trouble is, they probably have 15-18 in it.

I concur with this. 

And there a few things that a 5k jeep must still have to get my interest. 

Good replies here folks. Thank you for your responses. 
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 8:15pm
This 5K jeep just popped-up today.... Although it's a salad, in my opinion there is alot to like here for the money. This looks like a solid jeep to have some fun with. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. First you must understand what you are buying....

la072309 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote la072309 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 8:34pm
thanks for the lead. Im looking for something original that I can restore. I dont want to rush into anything. I would love to find a vec with the indents that I can work on. Ill keep looking and please if you guys find something dont hesitate to share. Ultimately I would love a vec but i can go for a any cj2a to start with and get to a vec one day. I just want to make one as original as possible.
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 12:06pm
I think it's a pretty nice Jeep and in the right market and for the right person, he may get very close to his asking price. Someone will recognize the work put into and fall in love with it and have to have it. Me personally, I can't afford the asking price, so I end up buying rust buckets and go on the payment plan. Yeh you know a grand here and a grand there, until I end up with a nice Jeep after four or five years of hard work and thousands invested. Big smile
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
 Post Reply Post Reply