Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 Willys Rescue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesejeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1948 Willys Rescue
    Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:28am
Here she is before loading for the "ride" home.

Ready for unloading at her new home.
Now the work begins.  I'm going to attempt to get it driveable yet this summer.  I'm so for a ready drive.

After that the plan is to stay with the look of the original CJ2A as much as I can.  This is despite everyone I talk to who all say make it military Jeep.  

Some systems will receive some upgrading for ease of use so on those days when it's time to tool around I can just go.  
cheesejeeper
1948 CJ2A #214780
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 4:04am
Don’t want to bag on guys that make military clones, cuz they take a lot of work and they look great, but it’s been done. That Jeep right there is the only one in the world like it. If you make it shiney and perfect, be it fake military dressed or even exactly like it was when it rolled off the line in Ohio, it will be just like dozens of other jeeps out there. 
I am very biased in this view, but I think that Jeep earned the look it has right now over the last 70 years and painting it any color would be a shame.

All that having been said, I also am a firm believer in the idea that it’s your rig and you should do what YOU want, not what I or any other keyboard warrior wants you to do.

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 4:46am
Here here. Yes if you have something that is practically original, I agree do your best to keep it so. But once it's been "lived in," you should make it yours. I'm going through the same with mine. Currently olive-drab military look alike. Fun to drive but needs a paint job and not going with the traditional.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 5:55am
That replacement tub gives me horrible flashbacks to 1978.  I wasted a whole lot of money then putting one that looked just like that on my M-38 frame.  The body started to rust away in a year.  Maybe they're better than they were then, but I wouldn't use one.  That's just my bitter experience.  Your mileage may vary.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 10:51am
All right another Michigander. How far from Grand Rapids? If Bryan B didn't buy the top, I'd be interested. Learned a lot about my 48 (208783) from the fine people of this form. Just ask, Thanks Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 7:03pm
Hey Cheesejeeper

The finish on that Willys looks great from this end of things....I bet the hardtop helped preserve some of the insides on this Jeep....good luck with it whichever way you end up going...I like the crusty look myself...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 8:24pm
Congrats and welcome aboard.  Nice to see another Michigander.  I think we're going to attempt a meet and greet in the fall.  There are a few of us trying to get our Jeeps road worthy this summer.  Stay tuned...
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:31am
Military jeeps and CJs are different vehicles and should be treated as such, IMO. Trying to fake an MB or M38 out of a 2A or 3A will immediately draw fire from those who can tell the difference. And there are far more of those who can tell the difference than you realize. I witnessed such a critique at a Memorial Day parade in my Michigan town a couple years ago. The 3A in question pretended to be an M38 from about 50 feet away. The owner attempted to defend it as 'genuine Army' until he realized he was being questioned by a savvy 3A owner/restorer. Such "tribute" jeeps should be portrayed and identified as replicas. I love seeing the great work done in this forum to bring ratty civilian jeeps back from near-dead condition in U.S. Army finish, with the hope that they're also portrayed honestly in public.
It's a shame the U.S. military didn't bring home more MBs, GPWs and M38s from foreign battlegrounds so we'd have them here in the U.S. today to restore and admire, but they didn't.

Just my $0.02.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
cheesejeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesejeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 3:47am
Thanks for the comments and general encouragement!  I'm going to really give it a go at getting it running this summer.  I'm in the Lansing area and would love to drive to the fall meet and greet in Michigan!!!  A nice back road cruise of about 60 miles depending on where in GR. Cry

P.S. Bryan did buy that hardtop...
cheesejeeper
1948 CJ2A #214780
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:34pm
Welcome, from a fellow Michigander. 

I'm in Saranac, so not too far down the road.

Steve
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesejeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 2:02am
Hey it sounds like we may have a get together in the fall!  Maybe near GR.
cheesejeeper
1948 CJ2A #214780

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesejeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2020 at 10:12pm
Its been quite a while since my initial project posting. Not a lot of time has been spent on my rig until recently. The stay at home thing and warmer weather have got me trying to get the engine running. I could not get the stock looking starter motor to fire so I bought a gear reduction unit for it since they're so much cheaper. The PO had converted the CJ to 12 volts and I don't know if the starter is a 12 volt unit or not. I've been scouring posts on ignition timing and are getting close. I did discover a problem with my distributor cap so I need to get it replaced. Serious carb rebuilding is coming soon too!
cheesejeeper
1948 CJ2A #214780

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesejeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2020 at 2:18am
Well tonight was awesome! The engine actually ran. Not for very long but it did run on its own. I had to cheat by pouring a bit of gas in the carb but it RAN. This engine (and Jeep) had sat for over 15 years. Now its carb rebuilding time!

Edited by cheesejeeper - 21 Apr. 2020 at 2:20am
cheesejeeper
1948 CJ2A #214780
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2020 at 3:07am
Fun project, welcome to the forum Thumbs Up

Is that an M38 tub on that trailer? Did it come with your CJ when you purchased it?
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesejeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2020 at 2:17pm
I was told it is. It's a Phillipino import body tub that did come with the CJ. The more I get into my project the more I would really like a 2A tub though!
cheesejeeper
1948 CJ2A #214780
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2020 at 3:58am
As I mentioned above, I had a tub like that.  You will have to really work to rust proof it.  Also, the one I had developed cracks around the body mounting points.  It was a waste of money for me.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesejeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 1:33am
So I completely disassembled (with lots of pics) my Carter WO carb on this old industrial L134 in my Jeep. I cleaned it all up and installed a master rebuild kit with all new parts. Here's a shot of it freshly mounted on the intake.

I watched several videos from Scout Pilot about how to set it up. Anyone can install the rebuild kit but if its not setup properly you're going to struggle. Thank you very much Scout Pilot!
cheesejeeper
1948 CJ2A #214780

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesejeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 1:45am
Also bought a new GM alternator (3-wire) for the rescue and decided to fab a new mount. I read about the ones you can buy but really wanted something that was simple and kept he alternator low enough to clear an original type oil filter I eventually want to add. The u-shaped top bracket was just tacked in place and the alternator removed. Now to get it to the bench and finish welding it up.

Here's the bracket all primed, painted and installed in place. I like that it uses the original generator holes. If I ever change the motor to another F134 that came out of a CJ2A I should be able to bolt it right up.

Now it's time to go belt hunting. I used the old belt to try and measure, for what looks like 40.5". Perhaps a 42 incher will do?
cheesejeeper
1948 CJ2A #214780
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>