Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1949 cj2a horn assembly question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kup52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1949 cj2a horn assembly question
    Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 9:18pm
I have a new steering worm tube with hole above worm for the horn wire to come out. I can't get the brass sleeve where it's supposed to go and I don't understand if the horn under the hood is wired positive how does the horn button with the soddered wire on the brass bushing make a circuit with a rubber sleeve under it? (I hope my question makes sense)
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 11:02pm
There is a brush that makes contact with with the brass sleeve. The brush connects with a terminal on the outside of the column tube which is insulated from the tube. The ground side of the horn is connected to this terminal which is connected to the brush which touches the sleeve which is connected to the wire inside the worm tube which connects with the contact under the horn button which is grounded when you press the horn button.

DonH
1946CJ2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 2:30am
Does your steering column outer tube have a hole where the brush would mount? A '49 CJ2-A should have the horn wire exiting thru the bottom of the steering box.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 4:45am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Does your steering column outer tube have a hole where the brush would mount? A '49 CJ2-A should have the horn wire exiting thru the bottom of the steering box.  BW

After serial number 1178361 the steering column was changed so the wire from the horn button runs straight down through the tube and exits at the bottom of the box in which case you don't need the brass sleeve. The way the horn is grounded remains the same except the horn ground is connected to the wire coming out the bottom of the box.

DonH
1946CJ2A
kup52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kup52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2018 at 12:56am
Cut 1/4 inch out of rubber sleeve and the brass sleeve and rubber went down. took a punch and hit brass sleeve 4 times around it. seems to work
kup52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kup52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2018 at 1:09am
My cj2 had the shorter worm tube with the small hole for wire and the cut out in old cover tube for that brush set up. Maybe it should have had the steering box with wire tube coming out the bottom ? The steering box and worm tube might have been replaced ? I owned this jeep 40 years ago an got it back
when my farmer friend died.He cut fire wall out and the jeep has no serial number !Can I tell the year by the engine number ?
kup52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kup52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 12:47am
I thank anyone that takes the time to help with any of these questions, my tube or anything else. I solved my promlem but will have more restoring what I think is a 1949 willys.  the farmer 42 years ago when I sold it to him ct the ser. number off the fire wall.its fun .again yhanks for the feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply