Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1951 CJ3A ranch rig & maybe a little more.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1951 CJ3A ranch rig & maybe a little more.
    Posted: 04 Apr. 2020 at 8:09pm
Hi Folks - I bought this 3A several years ago from the daughter of the original owner.  He had died, I think in the 80's, and it sat in their barn ever since.  It was a solid Jeep, no rust at all, so I don't think it saw many road miles, but judging by the wear and tear, it had a full life of use.  After using it for several years, my intent is to make it much more capable off-road for use on our place and we have a goal of doing the Rubicon come September.

The back story:

My wife had put a moratorium on my buying project rigs so I had to hide the Willys in my machine shop while I dinked around getting it running and drivable.  I usually kept it in the shipping/storage area with a tarp over it and boxes stacked on it and while she'd been there many times, she'd never noticed it.  Sure enough, one day she came by unexpectedly when I had the tarp off of it to move it and she flat busted me.  

Now, her Dad used to restore tractors and would hide them from her Mom.  He'd just shuffle them around, one tractor looks like another to the disinterested, and nobody was the wiser.  When he died they found he'd had near 30 tractors salted around with friends and family.  My wife thought that was adorable but she took a dimmer view of my own efforts.  Still not sure how that works.

Thankfully, she loved the Jeep and "Lumpy" was able to see the light of day and be parked out front.  He then went out to our place were we run livestock and do commercial forest agriculture.  Lumpy did what needed doing until the master cylinder failed last year which brings him to where he is now.

Showing off his new shoes.

Doing rounds and running fence lines.

Jill & the dogs & I heading out for a day of forestry work.

Lumpy earning his keep.

To be continued...

Edited by Anvil - 04 Apr. 2020 at 8:12pm
A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2020 at 10:26pm
Great story and a great looking rig! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 12:29am
That is a great story and nice looking rig, I'm liking the extension with  gas can holders. looks like you have plenty of chain saws to keep you busy.
Phil
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 1:23am
Interesting story!  Body looks to subject it to rock crawling.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 2:53am
Cool story. Glad it’s not hiding any more and working hard. New shoes are?  And a VW pickup?  Or whatever they’re called
Mike in AZ
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 4:55am
Since I bought the 3A, I'd been accumulating parts for it. Picked up a half cab top from New Life Canvas.  Came about two weeks after I ordered it.  I think I must have been lucky.  Mocked it up, thought yep, that's what I'm looking for and put it away.  Picked up a narrow track disc brake Dana 30 and stuffed it in a milvan.  You get the picture.  Lumpy always got pushed down the priority list due to work, mission critical projects, life, etc.  Same as it is for anybody.  I just kept it running and used it hard wherever it was able.  

And then I shuffled off my business and retired last Fall and I've been so busy since I don't know how I had time for a job.  I hear it's that way for everybody.

Lumpy was at his best when he was doing the heavy lifting.  Skid logs, haul gear, lug or pull stuff around, put out hay, or haul water.  Better than a tractor for our needs on our ground.  He did have a few fatal flaws are far as using it on the ranch.  The biggest was the two open differentials.  We have trails that it just can't get up.  From a lack of traction, rather than lack of trying.  And you need that traction since the L134 won't give you much in the way of wheel speed to keep your momentum up.  Then there was the aforementioned weak brakes.  The lack of turning radius was another as was the Extend-A-Bed on the back dragging here and there.  

That pretty much forced us to use the UTVs (Honda Pioneer 1000s) in the more remote or rugged portions of the place.  As we have learned, the Pioneers, IMHO, are really not up to the job of being a working vehicle.  They're fun, they're super capable off road, they'd climb a tree if the bark wouldn't come off, but they're fragile.  Expensive to own and to operate if you ask them to do real work.  YMMV.

Here's one of the trails I cut in during the summer of 2018 to give you the flavor of what I'm talking about.  It's long and boring and just me trying to hold my phone with one hand and driving with the other.  Hey, I may not have Scorsese's talent but I bet I do grunt more than him.

And here's one of the last section coming back up.  The camera flattens the terrain but you'd have trouble walking up it.  My neighbor is a badass competitive moto rider and his son rode for KTM and was a national champion and it still took him three tries to get up it.  You can hear that 80-horse Honda working hard all the way up in 1st gear, in low range, and both ends locked.

I'm laying all that out there so you know where I'm coming from.  Might save some speculation about what my conditions and motivations are.  I'm not a flat fender expert at all.  Pretty far from it.  This CJ3A was my first.  I'm just a babe in the woods really but I've owned a Jeep of some flavor or another most of my adult life.  I have four right now, one of which I've had for 30 years (Grand Wagoneer) and other for 21 (my second Gladiator truck).  I picked up a CJ2A as a parts and who knows what rig last winter.

I recognize this place as having experts far beyond my potential and I welcome your advice and tutelage.  I have a couple of major concurrent projects in the shop right now so my time is split between them and my other chores but I'll keep this updated as I'm able.

Anyway, it was that failed master cylinder that brought Lumpy into the shop:

It went hardcore leg bone connected to the hip bone from there and the next thing you know:

edit: hopefully fixed the video order.

Edited by Anvil - 05 Apr. 2020 at 4:43pm

Instagram
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 5:02am
Originally posted by a4cj2a77 a4cj2a77 wrote:

That is a great story and nice looking rig, I'm liking the extension with  gas can holders. looks like you have plenty of chain saws to keep you busy.
Phil
Thanks.  Yep, we always take a couple of saws each.  I fell the trees & buck 'em as needed and Jill limbs them out.  So basically, I make it look hard and she does all the work.  Or something like that.  :)

Instagram
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 5:13am
Sure looks like good elk country!!
Jay

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

Cool story. Glad it’s not hiding any more and working hard. New shoes are?  And a VW pickup?  Or whatever they’re called
Thanks.  New shoes at that point were STA 6.50-16s  Yep, that's my 1962 VW Single Cab bus.  I call it SCab.  It's a pretty capable rig in its own right.  9" of wheel travel in the front, 11" in the rear (ifs/irs).  Disc brakes.  Healthy 2164 mated to an 091 with a 5.86 R&P with a 4.38 first gear.  Lots of fun to drive. 

Instagram
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 5:25am
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Sure looks like good elk country!!
Jay

Like you wouldn't believe.

Instagram
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 5:30am
So you say you're retired, so I assume that is your private shop which is very cool. Liking all the framing, doors and space. Need to move. Good luck on the build
Phil
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 5:37am
That is a great CO elk!! 

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 5:58am
Thanks for tire info. Great VW.  And Noodle looks like a fun luge run. Whew
Mike in AZ
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 6:00am
Originally posted by a4cj2a77 a4cj2a77 wrote:

So you say you're retired, so I assume that is your private shop which is very cool. Liking all the framing, doors and space. Need to move. Good luck on the build
Phil
Thanks.  Yes, it's my private shop but I did run the last couple years of my business out of there in preparation for retiring.  It was all part of the wind down.  We built an apartment on one side upstairs and that's where we live.  We were going to build a separate house but we decided we're pretty cozy here.  First six months here we lived in a 1975 Airstream on the ridge overlooking the shop through the winter.  The two of us and three big dogs in a 25-ft trailer at 20-below with no running water or indoor privy was an adventure.  Jill's always been big on adventure so she's an easy keeper.

Instagram

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 6:23am
Brrrrr
Mike in AZ
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 3:58pm
Wow this thread is great!!
First of all your shop is amazing Clap
Can’t wait to see the rebuild of Lumpy. 
Thanks for the video of your property,when you mentioned ranch use for your jeep in the UTV tire post, I was very curious and wanted to ask about it. 
Looking at the fences you’ve built on that steep ground.... now that’s WORK! Nicely done. 
I see ranch panels on the upper gates?? Sheep?
Also if possible would like to see a picture of the Grand wagoneer. 
Thanks 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Wow this thread is great!!
First of all your shop is amazing Clap
Can’t wait to see the rebuild of Lumpy. 
Thanks for the video of your property,when you mentioned ranch use for your jeep in the UTV tire post, I was very curious and wanted to ask about it. 
Looking at the fences you’ve built on that steep ground.... now that’s WORK! Nicely done. 
I see ranch panels on the upper gates?? Sheep?
Also if possible would like to see a picture of the Grand wagoneer. 
Thanks 
Thank you.  It was a ton of work.  And of course with fencing it never really ends.  We put in about 6-miles of fencing.  It's 4.25 miles around the property and then we crossed fenced here and there.  No sheep.  Maybe some goats down the road.  I think what you're seeing is the gates we were recycling to use on Danger Noodle.  We'd put in temp gates or use panels to close off an area temporarily that we knew we'd have to open back up for a gate when started fencing the other side.  We were using those gates around the house/shop for the dogs originally and once we finished with the final fence we pulled them to use them up there.

I'll see if I can find pics of the GW in its prime.  It's a mess now.  I've been hanging on to it use to restomod my Gladiator.  You can kind of see the Gladiator here:

Instagram
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2020 at 7:06pm
Sweet Gladiator and 2a!!Clap
Thanks for sharing. 
Reused gates make sense. Couldn’t figure why that secure of gate would be needed with a barb wire fence.  
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>