Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1951 CJ3A ranch rig & maybe a little more.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 12:32am
More progress.  Just waiting on axles now.  

The disc brake kit came from Jim Sanville.  Very complete, only needed to radius the inside of the caliper mount to match the radius I put on the spindle.  

I plugged all the holes in the axle tubes which is not one of Willys brighter ideas, IMHO.  I'm using oil seals on the hubs instead of grease seals and plan on the bearings sharing oil with the differential housing.  We'll see how that works out.  For a vent, I drilled the OX cover and installed an 1/8" NPT pneumatic fitting that I'll plumb to wherever when the time comes.

The money shot:

Backside.  I used Grade 8 aluminized fasteners and Nordlocks to make sure the spindle never goes anywhere.

The Ox cover with old tag and new vent:

A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 5:15am
SWEET Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

SWEET Clap
Thanks.  This project may take a sudden hard left turn.  Got what I hope turns out to be a great deal @ $475 for a "running" 225 Dauntless and a SM465.  Supposed to go pick it up on Friday but we'll see how this turns out.

Instagram
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 1:24am
Getting some meat & potatoes work done.  For the front winch I selected the Warn Axon 5500 (5,500-lb single line pull capacity).  I have plenty of experience with Warn's other UTV winches and have been impressed with their toughness and capability.  Given that Lumpy is only about 2,300lbs, I just couldn't see hanging a 100+ pound winch on the front of it.  I also wanted the winch exposed as little as possible  so I made a winch and roller fairlead mount that I will french into the 2" x 4" tube that I'm going to use as my front bumper.  The bumper will only extend an inch or two past the frame horns.

The winch base is .375" flat stock that I had so I had to weld a few pieces together to get the size I needed.  I decided to tig weld them together because I haven't done any serious tig welding in years and my cataracts are bad enough I prefer the slower pace for this kind of work.  Also, I need the practice before I start on my roll cage.

I made the throat plate to hold the roller fairlead.  Turning handles on a manual mill is always good for the soul.  In small doses.

The big piece I needed I did the same way.  Took off weight wherever it wasn't necessary.  Everything else was just pieces of 1.25" x .1875" flat stock.  So the frame around the fairlead will be flush with the front of the bumper and the cable throat in the back will be flush with the back of the bumper.  I'll do the final welding once I have the bumper prepped to install the winch and fairlead mount.  Once that is finished, most everything you see here, save the winch, will be hidden inside the bumper.

In all, I'm pretty happy with this part of it came out.  To me, 35-lbs for a 5,500-lb single line pull winch with a burly mount and roller fairlead seems very respectable and more than enough for a 2,300lb rig.  Once it's in the 2" x 4" bumper, the winch body itself will only stick up about 1" above and nothing below the bumper. 

Instagram
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 7:11pm
My steel order arrived so I can make progress on more of the mods.  Got the winch mount frenched into the bumper so you can see how that goes.  I haven't used that particular tig torch in near 20-years so it had a cracked line and the gas diffuser was seized up.  The only other one I have is for precision work and not really suited for welding heavier stock so just waiting on a few parts for it now before welding the mount into the bumper.

Bumper cut out for fairlead and winch plate.

Then a hard turn.  Yesterday I went and picked up a really decent and complete 1969 Dauntless 225, a couple of SM465 trannies, and a Dana 20 with another twin stick cap so I can put my 18 guts and a Teralow 3.15 in it.  Did not get the exhaust manifolds for it but after looking at how the stockers exit, they wouldn't work for my application anyway.  $600 for the whole shooting match so I think I did OK.

Now I'm looking for the appropriate over drive unit and still waffling on the transmission I really want to use.  I have some NP435 transmissions here from other projects but they're all Dodge versions.  My understanding is the NP435 is the shortest of the granny low 4-spds.  

Does anybody know the overall lengths of the various 4-spd transmissions and Dana 18s with the required adapters as an assembly?

Edited by Anvil - 25 May 2020 at 3:39pm

Instagram
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:02am
Novak is a great resource for finding all dims on all the various transmissions.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

Novak is a great resource for finding all dims on all the various transmissions.
Thanks.  A little deeper dive shows that the NP435 adapted to the D18 is the worst of the modern lot at @ 14.2"

T98/T18/T19 with D18 adapter is 12.9".

SM465 is 13".

For reference, the SM420 is 15.2".

The T90 is 9" long so a SM465 with Dana 18 would be 4" longer than the stock T90 & Dana 18 combo.

Edited by Anvil - 24 May 2020 at 6:54pm

Instagram
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2020 at 4:20am
Not much to report.  Spent most of the last few weeks on fences and gate building.  Did finish up a nice 36' span gate going to the barn.

On the Jeep I managed to finish up my rotating shackle mount idea.  It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it for now.  This mount will allow the shackle to follow the direction of the load.  A little over the top maybe, but I love projects like this.

Doing a simple cross section analysis, the UTS should be a minimum of around 118KSI.  Well in excess of a alloy 3/4" pin lifting shackle which is usually around 50KSI.  The receiver insert is 4130 QTSR which I'll anneal the shoulders on before I weld it into the bumper.  The shackle mount insert is 17-4 stainless is the 1150 condition.  Has a minimal tensile of around 150KSI.  All this is an order of magnitude stronger than a 2,500 pound flatty needs, but it's really driven by the size of the shackle it needs to accommodate. It was a fun project and now I can finished up the front and rear bumpers.

Instagram
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 3:51am
This is a cool build thread!  You are a very talented fabricator and machinist with some great ideas and the resources available to make them happen! Fence looks good tooThumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 5:06am
Wow! Those gate posts are fantastic!!
A real work of art. 
Is the far gate hinged off the side of the post so it can be swung around out of the way when opened?

Shackle mounts are awesome as well. 
Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by Flatfender Ben - 15 June 2020 at 5:11am
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

This is a cool build thread!  You are a very talented fabricator and machinist with some great ideas and the resources available to make them happen! Fence looks good tooThumbs Up
Thank you, I appreciate it.  I have a specific set of skills but they pale to the diversity of many on here. 

Instagram
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 3:51pm

Wow! Those gate posts are fantastic!!
A real work of art. 
Is the far gate hinged off the side of the post so it can be swung around out of the way when opened?

Shackle mounts are awesome as well. 
Thanks for sharing. 
Thanks, Ben.  Yes, the lower gate is hinged to the outside of the post so it can open 180 and lay flat against the fence.  The other is on center as it has to swing inward 90-degrees to the fence.  Takes some care mounting on the outside as once it's installed, you can't adjust the hang of the gate.  Then the brace pivot has to match to keep tension even on the gate through its opening.  This is all complicated by the fact that these gates are hung along the road which is on about a 12% grade.

Edited by Anvil - 15 June 2020 at 5:01pm

Instagram

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 7:49pm
Yes, that is a complicated set up! most people would never know how much effort went into getting the gates to look so uniform when they’re closed and still function properly when they’re open.

To me nothing can be more aggravating than a gate that’s not hung properly.
Very nice. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 2:19am

Yes, that is a complicated set up! most people would never know how much effort went into getting the gates to look so uniform when they’re closed and still function properly when they’re open.

To me nothing can be more aggravating than a gate that’s not hung properly.
Very nice. 

Yeah, they're a huge time suck.  Those logs used for posts all came from our place.  They cured for at least a year, debarked them, let them dry a few more days, then juiced them up with my "Farm Sauce"*, then tarred the bottom 7' of them.  Sunk them 6' in the ground on top of a 6" pad of recycled asphalt.  Tamp in dirt every 6" lift and every 18" drop in a 90-lb bag of dry concrete.  Kind of the same way as on the windmill.  On these long span gates (say 12' plus), your normal H-frames and 6 or 8" posts will loosen up within a year.  I've learned that the hard way.  Since these are 18 footers, I went all in.  I'll take what I've learned on this and apply it to other big gate openings I have.

* "Farm Sauce" is 1/2 part real pine tar (Stockholm Tar), 1 part turpentine, 1 part boiled linseed oil, and 1 part diesel fuel.  Wood sucks it up, lasts a good while, and it dries nice, not sticky and it looks great.  I use it on everything that has a handle or lives outside.  Wood, metal, you name it.  Don't skimp on the pine tar, don't buy that crap they sell for horse hoofs, etc.  If it doesn't smell like a camp fire, it's not real pine tar.  IMHO.

Instagram

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 4:50am
Thanks for the recipe on the farm sauce. Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 7:16pm
Any updates?
Jay
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2020 at 5:43pm
Hello, Folks.  Hope all is well and everyone has stayed happy and healthy since I last updated.  I'm back to working on the Willys again.  Been a damn busy summer.  Lots going on here at the ranch, made lots of improvements, got two new eyeballs in the middle of it, then we went on vacation and ended up buying a new place/ranch up in Northern Idaho.  So, long story short, we're getting this place ready to sell come Spring/early Summer.  

Hardly worked on the Willys at all during that time.  Spent a little time last night finishing up my front bumper.  First time welding since I had my cataract surgeries.  Going to have to learn all over again.  Maybe another half hour behind the tig torch and done. Rotating shackle points came out dandy. Whole unit is super compact when you consider that’s a 5,500lbs single line pull winch. Frenched in the roller fairlead as much as practical (i.e., not rubbing the cable on anything). Including the winch, the whole enchilada only weighs 49-lbs and it’s bombproof.

Instagram
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2020 at 10:31pm
What are your thoughts on the plate with holes along the top?  Strength?
-Gaffer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>