Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1954 CJ3b project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1954 CJ3b project
    Posted: 03 May 2018 at 3:50pm
Old age is setting in, i thought a had a thread on here for the 3B,  looked for an hour still cant find it...go figure.   Well one of the latest projects is a 54 3B, it was built 5-6 years ago, then had some issues and sat for a year or so, i picked it up because it was a solid frame, repop tub, rebuilt engine,  those i was able to confirm, but because it would not drive, i could not verify the rebuilt drivetrain.  But it was a real good price so it didn't matter.  The plan was to keep it pretty much stock, and just fix the axles.  That plan went to hell pretty quick when i found out the axles were toast from lack of lubrication.   I had some stock replacements, so i could have used those, but also had a nice  dana 30 to use, and a built dana 44 i planned to narrow for a willys project some day.

That day came now, and The plan quickly changed,  it  was now going to be "The Con-Ferr jeep", built using a collection of cool Con-Ferr parts, and some tasteful upgrades for safety,  usability and wheeling.   I have always been a big Con-Ferr fan, and have been saving stuff for a project some day.

The stock axles were pulled, in front went a NT Dana 30, Ox locker, alloy shafts, 5:38's, the rear is a custom offset D44, HD housing, Ox locker, 35 spline alloy shafts, explorer disk brakes.   

32" swampers on CJ slots were added 

i Installed a dual master cylinder,  Manual saginaw box using the stock column and wheel,   Conferr shackles, rear storage box and high lift mount were used.  

fhead,  t90 and d18 will stay.  Im pulling out the t90 for a rebuild now.  

Might get painted white with red seats,  might stay faded primer black, dont know

Im in a push to get it ready for the NH run now

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 3:54pm
The steering change and how i handled the motor mount clearance with the steering shaft

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 3:56pm
some COn-Ferr goodies
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 4:00pm
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 4:00pm
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 4:03pm
some axle building, Beleview  winch mount and OX locker shifter install

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 4:06pm
Cool jeep. Keep posting plz
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 4:43pm
I really thought I hadLOL  Alzheimer’s must be kicking in
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 4:55pm
during the other build the frame was completely powder coated

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:23am
What Jeff said! One of the coolest 3B's I have seen.
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

What Jeff said! One of the coolest 3B's I have seen.

thanks, now lets see how it works after i rebuild the trans
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 7:13pm
trans is rebuilt,  started putting it back in last night, but man is the clutch fork a pita, give it a another go tonight.   
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 2:09pm
trans and tcase are back in,   sad part is, after pulling the trans, and rebuilding it, it was in pretty good shape,  a little worn, but i do believe what i was told was correct, that it was rebuilt about 5-7 years ago.  dont get me wrong, a rebuild for sure won't hurt, but i'm thinking my shifting problem was what a few people told me to check,  bad clutch adjustment and action. due mostly to the fact the all the pedal linkage was so worn, and not put together 100%   The connection between the clutch shaft and rod alone was so worn it had almost 1/4" slop.  Waiting for parts now to correct it.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 2:44pm
Best part of all that is now you know, and don't have to rely on what you were told.  I mean seriously, how many peeeps tear into something that was "rebuilt" only to find that means "repainted", lol.

Peace of mind through personal experience... moving on Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:06pm
Bk - any tricks / suggestions on getting the clutch fork installed?
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 1:59am
i used a couple of bolts with the heads cut off to make dowels that allowed me to slide the tranny in and out a few inches as i tried to get the fork in.  still a PITA
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 3:27am
Thanks, appreciate the forewarning...
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 7:45pm
got it all together last week, and had a bad noise when shifting,  i was foolish and didn’t replace the clutch and pilot bushing because the clutch looked new.    

Pulled it apart again today,

As suspected the clutch was in great shape, but  the pilot bushing was toast.   It’s easy to see in the pics.   All done now,  pulled the tranny and tcase as one unit using a new toy, harbor freight tranny jack.   I clamped the crossmember right to the jack plate.   Made the job much easier, and safer.   About 5 hours total.   

So make sure if you’re pulling the tranny for any reason REPLACE  the damn pilot bushing.   cheap insurance.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>