Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1954 CJ3b project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 8:02pm
Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 2:08am
Trans shifts and drives nice now,  still working out some tuning issues,  i think it could run better. 
I also started to assemble my rocker guards.

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 2:21am
finally have the 3B running half way decent,  so i was able to knock some other stuff off the list in prep for the NH run.  The sliders came together nice, and i was able to button up the front end,  tow points, and the vise fit nice over the steering box,   Figured the vise will be handy especially when i get the Underwood welder hooked up.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 2:52am
Schweet!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 6:35pm
did some work on the 3B the last couple weeks,  So during the NH run, my two biggest problems (other then fire  :)),  were the engine running too hot, and some carb issues that kept creeping up, mostly centered around restarting and low idle stalling.   I was running the stock radiator, but with a smallish electric fan, and no shroud.  I also found out i had a bad thermostat,  which probably caused most of my cooling problems.

But in all the willys runs i have gone on, i have only seen cooling problems with systems that were modified.  Like different radiators, electric fans,  no shrouds etc.    Since i had an original shroud and fan, i figured i would put it back to stock,  replace all the hoses, (don't know how old they were) and install new thermostat and see how that goes.  In my limited testing, its cooling much better, and more consistent now.   My carb issues, im thinking are a dirty carb,  mine is a pretty fresh rebuild, but i had some line, filter and tank issues after i installed it and the carb might have got some crap in it, so i had Rick P build me a new one, along with the carb, somewhere along the line, the stock air filter was removed, and replaced with a halfassed K&N installation. Again, seeing the stock setup usually working better, i put it back on, but i did modify it to use a bigger, and better installed K&N element inside the stock housing.   

also After the run, my two small leaks were much bigger...LOL,  the Tcase i have to work on still, but im thinking its the front output seal.  The oil pan/timing cover was leaking too, i pulled them, flattened the flange, and put new gaskets on, leak is gone now,  also was able to confirm the timing gears were correctly lined up, so it really leads me to believe my running issues are the carb.  

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 1:55am
Started fabbing a new moun for the 170 amp alt, and looking where to put the welder...thinking right off the air cleaner mount
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 1:56am
welder is in and running,  so nice with all the extra 3B Underhood space,  next is OBA working on brackets now, then the cappuccino machine 

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 11:54pm
York OBA is just about done, compressor is mounted, just need to plumb it, Mount the tank under the bed somewhere 

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 1:59am
System is plumbed, minus one fitting I’m waiting for.  Goes to a tank under the drivers side next to DS,  then up to a retractable hose real next to the driver seat.
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2018 at 4:07am
My attempt at a tire carrier,  didn’t want all the weight on the body, so its mounted to the frame, and can hinge down to open the tailgate, pull 2 pins, and its removed completely.   It will held up by some way of connecting the tailgate catches.  Also will carry a spare spindle assembly, and hub, maybe a outer axle shaft it i can get it to fit

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2018 at 3:59pm
Awesome!
So great to see a 3B being built. 
Thanks for all the pictures Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 11:20am
Very nice work. You must be planning the Rubicon? So, when do you lock in the hub on the spare? LOL
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 4:02pm
that’s what I figure Oilleaker,   5WD has to be better than 4WD. LOL
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2018 at 6:19pm
Great looking "B" build up!! Being a B owner too you gave me some very good ideas!!! 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 4:18pm
After searching for a long time for a good 3B fold out windshield, the search has ended.  I didn’t only find a good one, I found a mint one,  pretty much taken off when new, and bounced around in storage for 50 years.   I love the hunt for these parts!
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 4:21pm
Jealous. Top shelf windshield and will be a great option for your Jeep. It has "The Oilleaker1 Approval Rating" ! Thumbs Up
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 4:28pm
Nice find Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2018 at 10:24pm
Going to make it look so much cooler! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>