Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1959 Hunting jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravenmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1959 Hunting jeep
    Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 2:14pm
Its not a CJ2A, but the crossover is very great and this page and its members have been so helpful I figured I would start a build thread to share what Im doing with what I have learned here.  

I always wanted to build a high-hood for a hunting jeep, so when I got the opportunity to buy a semi-clean example from a guy local to me, well, it found its way into my garage (with the help of a friend)..... The jeep is an oddity, US export to Japan in 1959, purchased by a service member in 61 and returned to the US in 63.  It was assembled by "Mitsubishi" so it is Tech. a CJ3BJ4 "thats what I was told"...... I have all the original paperwork, body is clean, ran and drove-ish. 

As I found it for sale:

The to-do list & what Ive already bought for it: 

Narrow track 30 front
   Internal hub body conversion
Disc brakes
   Air actuated OX lockers
   5:38 Gears
  RCV axles
Modified WARN dana 60 full float kit for the rear
   Disc brakes
   Air actuated OX locker
   5:38 gears
   RCV Axles
BFG 750r16 tires
Long leaf springs (help from Jpet)
all new spring mounts and shackles

Build new rear bumper with spare tire carrier - mounts for recovery gear.
Build new front bumper and winch mount ( cut and stretch a WARN 8274 / extend drum 8" )

replace windshield, all new seals and gaskets, roll cage, new seats and mounts.

Jeep 2.5 ltr motor - SM420 - New dana 18 with OD. 
Power steering
Onboard Air
Premier power welder
Dual batteries 

Full como system (UHF/VHF / HF)

In all fairness and full disclosure, i have already got most of the parts and I have already done a fair amount of the work, just wanted to try to catch up on the build, share it and gain some insight into the things I have missed. I am doing my best to maintain the look from the outside, keep it as true to theme as possible and hide as much as I can.

59 CJ3B-J4   aka "SweatP"
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 2:52pm
That is a long list.  Looks like left hand drive.  It sure looks like a Jeep and will act like one too.  A good story to tell around the camp fire.   
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 4:00pm
I would be looking for the recoiless rifle that the windshield is notched for! That would be the campfire story!!

Edited by jeeper50 - 08 Sep. 2020 at 4:04pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 4:09pm
That distinctive windshield caught my eye.  Derek has posted some info on that J4M model

At least from what I've read, these were built in Japan by Mitsubishi under a license agreement.  The Mitsu's were everywhere when I was stationed on Okinawa back in '87-'95.

A very nice rare find you have there! 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
ravenmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravenmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 4:57pm
Another pic from before I started to work on her.  I had hod rod shop in Bend Oregon build a mandrel bent stainless exhaust for it. Local radiator shop rebuilt the radiator, I flushed the large mouth fuel tank, new carb, new fuel lines, a new electronic distributor / wires / coil. 

ravenmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravenmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 5:01pm
I tried to do as much reading as I could on it before I committed to modding it, had a few guys tell me to restore it, however, its just gonna be an old hunting jeep for me, maybe run the grand kids down to the ice cream shop when they visit.  It'll look close to stock on the outside, powertrain should be reliable enough that if I got crazy I could drive it across the country.  
ravenmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravenmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 5:04pm
MMMM, putting a whole new meaning to "long range elk hunting"........ Probably frowned upon by those who don't hunt with a 105mm gun....... lolol
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2020 at 12:59am
I had a diesel engine from one of those Mitsubishi Jeep licensed jeeps at one point in time. If you remember the old Godzilla movies they were 3B diesels.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
ravenmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravenmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 12:10am
Tires
Front 30 -Disc brakes - Internal Hub Body Conversion.
Rear Modified Dana 60 Full Float kit - Disc Brakes 
Long Leafs on all 4 corners. 

ravenmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravenmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 12:13am
ravenmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravenmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 12:15am
ravenmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravenmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 12:17am
ravenmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravenmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 12:19am
ravenmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravenmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 12:25am
ravenmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravenmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 12:27am
Used some wheel spacers for the time being in order to get the factory riveted wheels to clear the calipers.  I am on the prowl for some 16x6 welded wheels so I wont have to run the spacers or the tubes. 
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 2:35pm
Looks like M38 Jeep body from Cowl back, with the shovel mount on the pass side
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
ravenmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravenmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Oakes Oakes wrote:

Looks like M38 Jeep body from Cowl back, with the shovel mount on the pass side

Its Deff. not a normal CJ3B.  Has little design elements from different models.  Most all the parts are Willys, I have found bolts on it with the Mitsubishi emblem stamped on them though.  The powertrain is all willys as the motor was rebuilt in 2018 and I replaced the carb - distributor - fuel pump and misc. small parts with F134 replacement parts.  
ravenmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravenmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 4:54pm
Built a fixed rear bumper / tire carrier / Recovery box / pulpal - Highlift mount.  Reinforced the frame rails in the back to support the bumper and recovery gear.  Kept the factory pintle hitch and I will replace the inside of the factory trailer plug with modern internals.  

Placed my Order today for all new JW Speaker LED Lights
   8700 Evo headlights
   8631 5.75" rounds with halo turn signals
   ST4000 driving lights
   rear round Led taillights 
   misc. small lights for the interior and a rear square work light. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>