Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Duster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Duster
    Posted: 16 Nov. 2010 at 10:33pm
I was driving back from my dads the other day and seen this sitting in a guys yard for sale.
They guy needed money bad so, I ended up with it.
Nice small block with an auto.
I have no idea what to do with it, but my wife said she wants it.
So time to build this one.

1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2010 at 4:10am
Yellow with black striping.. yep I can see it now.

Edited by p3ferris - 17 Nov. 2010 at 4:10am
Ed
cj2a lefty
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2010 at 4:13am
Oh the memories. Had a 72 with a slant 6 and 3 on the tree. Not exactly a stop light to stop light machine, but that slant 6 just wouldn't die.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2010 at 5:16am
Check out the torsion bar mounts, they tended to rot away..They are repairable.

Interesting stance it has.. Was it a drag racer at one point?

Edited by F Bill - 10 Dec. 2010 at 5:17am
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2010 at 4:30am
Bill,
It as far as I can see was never a drag car, somebody added air shocks the the rear with a tall tire and it has a low profile tire on the front.
Torsion bar mounts no rot, I have had plenty of mopar muscle cars and this one is really clean.
No trunk or rear rot but for some reason it has a small hole in the front frame about where the clutch Z bar would go??????  Easy fix.
Bonus it has a sweet running 340 after I tuned it, hard shifting auto. 
The motor has not been cleaned, this is the way it was when I bought it, and it had a new set of duel exhausts.
Cosmetics are crap on this ride, my wife says she wants it, if I convert it to a 4-speed. 
So I am in the middle of rebuilding a 833 for it over christmas, and a 489 case 8.75 rear with 4.56 gears.
Should turn out to be a fun street car.
I looked the car over right after I bought it and it had all new ball joints, tie rod ends and brakes.
Put tags on it and it passed WV safety inspection.
The best part is I only gave $800.00 for the car, the guy needed money bad.

1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2010 at 2:48pm
A 340.....Sweet!

Gonna go for the beater look or paint it up nice? SUre got it for a great price!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2010 at 2:23am

Bill, it will be built nice, same quality if not better than my willys.

I am going to put a glass front end and doors with mini-tubed rear rear, 408 stroker small block, 4-speed and 4.56 gears. Should be fun.
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2012 at 8:23pm
A little progress,
Changed over to a 4-speed, put a 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip, all new springs, tubular upper A-arms, sway bars on both ends, 1" torsion bars, went thru the interior so it is presentable.
Went down south and bought straight rust free front clip and doors.
I have a extra 4.30 gear sure grip that I can put in at will.

Built a roller cam 360, with roller rockers, aluminum heads all the goodies 11.2 compression.
This engine was not cheap.

1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2013 at 11:01pm
Shawn,

When I was a lot younger I owned a '74 Duster. It came with a slant six and 3 speed. When I came home from the Army my Dad had put in a floor shift and headers! That was a cool car.
Later I pulled a 318 from a wrecked Dodge truck and got it rebuilt with 340 heads, high rise manifold and ceramic coated headers. (The block was the older heavy duty model)
I put a torque-flite behind it and drove that car for several years. It would fly!
Got crazy one day and bought a nitrous kit from a guy. Ran the car with nitrous once and blew a u-joint!
That was scary.
What's worse, I never did upgrade those crappy drum brakes!
Hope you got plans to change the brakes after you put that 360 in her! LOL

Have fun! I've always been a Mopar fan!
Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 HEMI Rubicon Unlimited
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113017572186775733159/ForumPhotos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2013 at 9:11pm
It will be a fun old car, got the doors, fenders and hood stripped to bare metal and primed.
Also picked up another 340 and rebuilt it .030, .010 crank, 9.7 compression, "x" heads, .513" lift, ld340 intake 700 DP, this will be my extra motor.
I been running the car some over the summer and hope this winter, to have the body all finished and in primer.
It came from the factory with front disk brakes so it does stop good.
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
 Post Reply Post Reply