Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1st Willys- a little guidance, please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2021 at 12:47pm
Your springs look to be the original Mathers.
Basically you need a bunch of old springs of same manufacture.
Guys throw them away thinking all leafs are shot.
Take them all apart and look at the arc of each individual leaf.
Also check to be sure each leaf has not been excessively gouged from the lower leaf.
Mix and match till you find enough good one to make a complete rebuilt leaf.
You can shorten individual leafs if you have longer ones with sufficient arch.
You can adjust the total thickness of the spring pack to meet your needs.
You can trim the ends so that they are stepped uniformly.
Restepping the individual leaf lengths can also be utilized to produce a new wear area on the adjacent leaf above.
Paint each leaf with ample graphite powder in the paint.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

wild1joker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wild1joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 9:17pm
I don't have access to any used springs- but I was able to get a complete set of NOS M38 springs from QTR, also ordered all the bearings for the front axle.king pins bearings .seals,gaskets and steering bell crank rebuild kit. That should keep me busy for a while. I ordered a set of 5 - 31 10.50-15 tires. Radials.
I'll have to be patient until all these parts arrive. I'm going to spend a lot of time cleaning.
I've been checking every thing for wear, looseness and any signs of damage..
 I have a set of rugged ridge low back seats, but I'm not sure i I want to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wild1joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 9:24pm
The one thing I haven't figured out a solution to is the big hole the previous owners cut into the hood. And I mean a large hole. I'm not sure how to repair it.
They had a large scoop to cover the air compressor that was mounted on the engine.
The air cleaner is a small round 4 inch tall filter that sticks out of the hood.
It has a GM Rochester 2 Jet 2 barrel on it .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wild1joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 9:28pm
I haven't been able to locate a cheap used hood- so I can try to weld in a patch panel.
I still have to figure out the height of the Carb 1st.
I only have 3  inch from carb filter base to hood.
I don't like the small air filter - there is no base under the filter.
There is a adapter available to be able to use a regular air cleaner assembly.
I have seen a drop base air cleaner- . Any suggestions ?

Edited by wild1joker - 10 Oct. 2021 at 9:40pm
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 9:58pm
I noticed there was a very large hole in your hood, or maybe two holes. It looks like a larger air filter was used before. 3 inches is not a lot of space to work with. Maybe fashioning an air horn to a remote  filter would work.

As for patching the big hole, it's not going to be easy. My jeep had a large hole in its hood and it was a bitch to fix, I was at it for months off and on. I eventually got it but when you weld in the middle of a large flat panel, it will warp like you've never seen. The center flange has been cut out which complicates the repair. I'll share my experience:

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2021 at 9:13pm
Where in NC are you? I may have a usable hood near Charlotte. 
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2021 at 9:33am
If his signature is correct he is in Fayetteville.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123