Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

# 2 cylinder sounds dead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: # 2 cylinder sounds dead
    Posted: 14 Dec. 2014 at 5:59am
When the engine is idling it sounds like one of the cylinders is missing. I pulled the leads off and it's #2, there doesn't seem to be much difference in the running of the engine when I pull it's lead off. I have changed plugs, swapped plug leads, done a compression test, all cylinders the same. Could this be the points or possibly the condenser?
       OLD MANS RULE
The older I get, The better I was
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2014 at 7:31am
I just finished fighting a similar problem in my F-Head and replaced the points, condenser, and distributor cap.  Runs like a top now.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2014 at 8:53am
No it can't be the points or the condenser if it was then all the cylinders would be effected. It could be the cap.
If you have changed the plug

swapped the plug wire for another and #2 is still bad

the compression test shows the same or better pressure then the other cylinders (rules out a ring or valve problem)

Then the only possible variable is the distributor cap. Put a new one on and see if the problem is corrected. And if your doing that its best to do a complete tune up. Plugs,  Points, Condenser, Cap and Rotor, set the Dwell, Gap the new plugs, then do a resistance check on all your plug wires and see if any are to high. Clean all the plug wire connector (a 30 cal. bore brush works great for this)  Time the engine properly.

That should correct any ignition caused miss in the engine.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Sharky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2014 at 3:28am
Thanks guys, will try the suggestions
       OLD MANS RULE
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2014 at 5:00am
Are the plugs in the right order?
Sharky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2014 at 4:32am
I tried a new distributer cap with no change. I then spoke to my neighbour who has his own workshop, he said "valves" I said how can that be the compression test shows all cylinders the same, he then said that he had seen the problem a few times. So I took the head off and did the valves, the inlet were fine but the exhaust had a little carbon on them. Ground the valves and put them back and the problem is solved.
       OLD MANS RULE
Old Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2014 at 11:04am
Well done! Clap I was just going to suggest possible valve leak. A compression tester although an excellent tool is still a little crude. Glad you have it sorted. I presume you have set the tappets correctly after the value job? Did you check for indents/wear on the tappets? Obviously indents will prevent accurate clearance setting. 
46 CJ2A 29488, Harvest Tan, Sunset red wheels.

99 TJ.

2015 Ford Kuga Ecoboost.
tomahawk715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2015 at 2:48pm
Well you already solved it but Ill throw this out for future reference---check for distributor cam wear---the little cam the points ride on.

I just brought a CJ5 back from a long sleep--couldnt get it to run right. When I had the dizzy out I noticed the points wouldnt open on two of the cylinders. If you opened the points where they would open on those two the gap on the remaining two was HUGE. The more I looked you could tell the lobes were worn on those two.

Swapped in a different dizzy and she runs like a champ.
If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong???
Stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2015 at 6:22pm
Also had the same problem on an old engine, only ran on 3 out of 6 cylinders.  Did everything to distribuator, plugs, wires, points, etc.  Swapped in another dist, and it ran great.
1946 CJ2A #44093
1946 CJ2A #44754
1952 REO M108 Crane/wrecker

Pile of parts...
 Post Reply Post Reply