Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 weeks in SW Colorado

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Today we took Tincup Pass to St Elmo, Hancock Pass to Napoleon Pass, back to Tincup

Makes me want to drop everything and get my Jeep done!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 5:22pm
Loving the pics. 
Wish I could be in two places at one time.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 3:22am
Today started out as a bad day but ended up being fantastic.

First thing this morning, BAM BAM wouldn’t start. Bad ignition module and I couldn’t find my spare so I had to drive to Gunnison to get one    I told Alan and Kris to just go on without me so they headed to Taylor Pass and then on to Pearl Pass. There is still snow over Pearl Pass and so far, no Jeeps have crossed it.   I’ll rely on Alan and Kris to post pics. ... anywho, I went to Gunnison, got the module, put it in the Jeep, and decided to try to catch them. I knew they weren’t going over Pearl, so I figured I’d meet them on the way back. They had a 3 hour jump on me.

Taylor Pass is an amazing pass. It’s even somewhat challenging and beautiful:

I had to try and make up three hours so I was in high range a lot and I just followed Alan’s NDT tracks and each time I met someone, I’d ask how far ahead they were.

Eventually I came to the Pearl trail head. This was pretty exciting because I’ve wanted to do Pearl for a long time and now I’m finally here!!

Pearl Pass is simply amazing! It is very much like Imogene except harder. Lots of different landscapes, narrow shelf roads and rock challenges. I simply love it!!

... anywho, I finally got to the snow impass but I didn’t see any Willys, only tracks. Pearl Pass is now officially open for Willys Jeeps:

once I got past the snow, I got a visual!!!

Together at last!!

This was a wonderful day. Pearl Pass is SO beautiful and so challenging!! Definitely the highlight of the week for me so far!!

Oops:

Kris and Alan are staying in Taylor one more day but I’m headed to St Elmo in the morning. Heading up Antero. Thx 4 reading!!

Edited by jpet - 24 July 2020 at 3:37am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 3:35am
I can think of a lot of worse places for a Jeep to not start than base camp.
Did you buy 2 modules ?
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 3:48am
Originally posted by flatfender47 flatfender47 wrote:

I can think of a lot of worse places for a Jeep to not start than base camp.
Did you buy 2 modules ?

Tried to. They only had one. I’m going to pick another one up on BV tomorrow.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 3:51am
I have to say that a points system only failed us once. We were out in a boat and it wouldn't start. Alright, pull the cap, yep  reset the points using the old matchbook trick.
john
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 4:18am
Great story!!   Sounds like a memorable day.

"Pearl Pass is now officially open for Willys Jeeps:"   . . .    loved that comment.  :-)

Great photos as usual.
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 4:52am
This week has been as much fun as I can remember having on any trip I’ve been on. I’m glad it worked out that Jpet was able to join us. After we get home I will post pictures from the week. For some reason I really struggle getting pictures loaded from a mobile device. 

We are also pretty proud of the fact that we were the first Jeeps over Pearl this year. Maybe here in the next few weeks Wranglers will be able to make it.

Edited by AKoller - 24 July 2020 at 4:54am
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 3:21pm
Add, "Wilderness Tracker," to Jpet's resume`
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 5:45pm
I’m trying hard not to be envious....Smile
What an awesome trip!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 7:05pm
Can't get enough of Jpet's "field reports". Glad the auto parts store in Gunnison had your module in stock! Of all the cool pics, my favorite is the close-up of Bam Bam's driver-side front fender--gnarly, man! What a warrior!
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 8:17pm
The pics make me want to drop everything and head for the mountains!!
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 12:58am

It should say, “Where there’s a Willys, there’s a way!”

http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm#pearl

Edited by jpet - 25 July 2020 at 1:01am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 4:27am
Today we had a new trail boss leading us up Mt Princeton:

We planned on going up Antero, but after seeing the storm clouds above the summit, we opted to do Princeton. We lead my bro-in-law, Terry along with six other SXS from Illinois and Indiana. They have never been on trails like these before:

.... kids:

After we finished Princeton, we decided to go up to Mary Murphy Mine and Pomeroy. On the way, we stopped at the Cascade Falls and even got two new inductees into the Evans family!

... who knows, maybe next year they will trade there lawn mowers in for Jeeps!! just kidding Terry.

I’ll have to get some pictures of the lake and post them. I didn’t take any because When we got there, Bill Hamilton of Hamilton Fuel Injection was also there and I talked to him for a long time. After we came down, Ryan wanted to put some tires on Gatekeeper:

Didn’t get any pictures of BAM BAM on Gatekeeper. I’ll see if anyone in the group got some tomorrow.

Edited by jpet - 25 July 2020 at 4:30am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 7:04am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Didn’t get any pictures of BAM BAM on Gatekeeper. I’ll see if anyone in the group got some tomorrow.

Kinda rude of them to put a big old fence right where my lone is.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 3:39am
Today we did the Hancock, Napoleon, Tincup loop but we decided to go up and back down Tomichi Pass:

Ron wants to do a visual inspection of the repairs to the rock slide:

... I told him he needs to be more intimidated so this is his attempt at shaking in his boots:

.... more
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 3:54am

Well, one week down, one to go. I checked off two bucket list trails. Pearl, Tomichi. Taylor Pass was so awesome, I decided to add it to my bucket list and simultaneously check it off my list.   Headed to Ouray in the morning.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 3:57am

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>