Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2018 Willys Reunion Engine Recap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2018 Willys Reunion Engine Recap
    Posted: 08 July 2019 at 2:45pm
I just wanted to post this out for all of you guys to see. As you may or may not know, last year (2018) at the Spring Willys Reunion we decided to rebuild a Jeep L head engine under the big top tent as our technical display.

We used one of the Allied engine blocks which they gave to us at a substantial discount.. Merlin Hanson and Joe B were the main rebuilders.

While the engine was going together, we knew it would have to come apart again. Not just because of the nature of building it in a hurry in a parking lot, but also because of some issues we saw with the block that was supplied.

We ended up dumping close to another $2,000 into the engine to make it right. We wanted the winner and really everyone to know that we stand 100% behind the things we are doing at the reunion. It was an expensive lesson learned by us but in the end, the winner was happy and we pretty well broke even on the engine.

here is a video Joe made about his experience working with the Allied Engine.

Joe Deyoung Allied Jeep Engine Video
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 1:16am
Here is an update to the update. I think the company may have gone under. Their website links to a page where you can buy the domain.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 3:24am
Bob, I’m curious if you guys ever discussed the shortcomings of the block with the folks at Allied ?... Was this a turd of the bunch ?, hard to believe they would sell the problem child to a hi-profile build event in the Willy’s Jeep community. Or are they all with the same issues ?...

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 3:48am
Wow, sorry to hear this. Thanks for doing the right thing, but bummer!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 2:53pm
We did give feedback to Allied. Their response was that it came right from the assembly line and they had never heard of any problems with them.

Back at Jeeps in January, one of the attendees was a metallurgist. He said there is no way that block was being cast like they said it was based on what he saw, plus the spatter all inside the castings could be avoided by using the correct process...he was not impressed.

In any case, we wanted to deliver a good running and dependable motor to the winner. The reputation of the show depends on us delivering what we promise. The way that motor was it would not have run for 5 minutes.

I'd also like to thank scout pilot for re-tinkering with the carb he supplied to the engine build. It was very kind of him.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 8:28pm
As the guy who won this engine, I will say that at this point it is running well.  At about 200 miles I checked the compression just for grins and it was 95, 95, 100, and 105.  My mechanic says that will come up once the rings wear in well.  I changed the oil at 250mi. and it looked good.  Will change it again at ~1250 and replace the filter and try to correct a drip between the timing cover and the oil pan at that time. 

There is an odd noise that I have no idea about.  It stays at the same rate regardless of engine rpm's, and sounds like a sort of metallic rattle of some kind. With my stethoscope, I hear it the most when I put the probe on the intake manifold.  At first I suspected a tappet noise, but as mentioned, it doesn't seem to increase with revs.  Even my mechanic and machinist have no ideas.  I'll see Joe in Sept, and will let him listen to it.  I doubt it is anything to be too concerned about, more annoying than anything.

I do hope to try the WO that Scout supplied but until I iron out some things and exit the "break in" period, I'll stick with a carb that I know works well, my Solex.  I know, I know, I may be the only Solex fan on the 2A but it is working well for me and I didn't want to have too many new variables in the mix while breaking in a new engine. 

I have about 700 miles on this engine now.  No oil consumption at this point, and I'm getting 23mpg's cruising the county roads here.  It cold starts very well and I can push the choke home after about only 5 sec.  Maybe this is because of the std. size pistons, I don't know.  My old engine is .060 over and it takes longer to warm up and a partial choke is necessary for a minute or two. 

I'm very happy with the engine and Joe did a terrific job on it.  I too had searched for an "Allied Powertrain" website a couple of years ago and nothing came up.  And on the Allied promo / spec. sheet on Kaiser Willys site, there is never any mention of contact info.  No phone, no email, no address, no nothing.  Never has been.  I guess the one year warranty they say it carries is with the retailer, not Allied.  Anyway, water under the bridge!

Thanks again to Joe DeYoung and Bob Christy for all of the pain they endured to make this build happen successfully, I really appreciate it!Thumbs UpThumbs Up

Edited by aboyandhisdog - 18 Aug. 2019 at 12:52am
Tom
1949 CJ3A

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 10:17pm
   Could that rattle sound be coming  from the heat riser on the manifold?

jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

Could that rattle sound be coming  from the heat riser on the manifold?

jim

I wondered about that but when I hold it open or closed, no difference at all.  It very much sounds as if it is an internal issue but really defies logic, in that it doesn't seem to increase with engine speed. 
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 2:06am
This engine ran good at the 2019 FCT (Fall Colors Tour).  The power was a bit lacking and the compression is low and falling but I feel like a valve adjustment will solve all issues.  Joe concurs.  Engine runs great otherwise.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Post Reply Post Reply