Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 FCT Prep Projects.....now 2020 FTC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2019 at 4:24am
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

You will find there to be some torque steer with the lunchbox lockers. You will grow use to it. I don’t even hardly notice it anymore. Did you put lockers in front and rear or just rear?  Oh, by the way, good job getting it done!

Just the rear so far. I do think I'm going to tear it back apart and put new thrust washers in it. Now that I know how to do it, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

In a moment of weakness, I may or may not have bought a front locker tonight....

I have to pull the whole front axle apart anyway to put a new pinion seal, king pin bearings, and knuckle seals, so I might as well go just a bit further and do the locker at the same time.
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2019 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by unclemoak unclemoak wrote:

You will find there to be some torque steer with the lunchbox lockers. You will grow use to it. I don’t even hardly notice it anymore. Did you put lockers in front and rear or just rear?  Oh, by the way, good job getting it done!

Just the rear so far. I do think I'm going to tear it back apart and put new thrust washers in it. Now that I know how to do it, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

In a moment of weakness, I may or may not have bought a front locker tonight....

I have to pull the whole front axle apart anyway to put a new pinion seal, king pin bearings, and knuckle seals, so I might as well go just a bit further and do the locker at the same time.

When you install the front locker I would encourage you (if you have not done so already) to remove the transfer case shift interlock pin (AKA "the pill"). If not, you will likely regret it when you have to start making switch backs in the mountains. Removal on the pill decreases your turning radius greatly.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2019 at 3:56pm

When you install the front locker I would encourage you (if you have not done so already) to remove the transfer case shift interlock pin (AKA "the pill"). If not, you will likely regret it when you have to start making switch backs in the mountains. Removal on the pill decreases your turning radius greatly.

One step ahead. Already removed the pill when I built up the Super 18. 
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2019 at 3:20am
14 days to go!

I've been driving the jeep to work the past few days to work out any issues. So far nothing major.

I went for ice cream last night and noticed the jeep would die when I let completely off the gas. I figured it was something carb related like the idle jet was clogged. When I popped the hood this morning, it turned out the throttle linkage screw had worked loose. Easy fix and it was back up and running.

Since my canvas top is coming tomorrow, I got to fitting the top bows. These are the import ones that are maybe $150. I can definitely see they are going to need some massaging to work. The biggest issue I see is that they don't connect to the windshield like the factory setup, so I'll have to cut the ends off and weld on some threaded sections to retain the factory mounts on the windshield.

I had to cut off these random nuts that were welded on.

Aside from that, my front locker back. I'm amazing at how tiny this thing is. The plan for Friday is to tear apart the whole front axle, install the locker, king pin bearings, and new knuckle seals.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2019 at 4:22am
That locker does look kinda small.  Maybe you just have huge hands.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2019 at 6:12am
Well to say I had an exciting evening would be an under statement. I got the Jeep out and finished up fitting the top bow since I knew the canvas top was getting delivered. 

Everything when together pretty well and I’m pleased with how the custom summer top without the normal rear window came out. 

Over the last few days I noticed the Jeep still seemed a little under powered, so I decided to advance the timing a bit more since it wasn’t pinging yet. After doing so, I went for a run to the hardware store to get some more bolts for the top bows. Immediately noticed a difference in the power and will likely advance the timing a hair more since it still doesn’t ping even in overdrive. 

While I was out cruising around I noticed a clunking noise. I remember back to the pop I heard last Friday and the torque steer and figured the axle shaft snapped and that’s what was starting to clunk. I got out and looked the rear end over and did t notice and weird lean to the tire so I figured I’d limp it home so I could jack it up and see what was going on. 

Needless to say, I didn’t quite make it home. I was literally within two blocks, turning onto my street and all of the sudden the rear end bounces up then flops on the ground, lots of screaching and grinding as I sit in the middle of the road and watch my left rear tire roll down the street. 

I figured the axle fell out of the housing and I was pretty screwed. Turns out that clunking was actually a loose wheel (I did check it when I stopped multiple times. 

I sat in the middle of the road flicking my lights on and off to warn other cars since I don’t have hazards. Thankfully the tow truck driver was kind enough to raise the rear end of the Jeep while I walked down the street to find my tire in someone’s front lawn. I borrowed an impact off him and took one lug nut off each other wheel and got this tire back on to get it home. 

Other than the disk getting chewed up a bit, I don’t think there’s any real damage. I ordered some more lug nuts and new studs to press in to the hub. 

I did notice that my axle nut cap was missing, so I walked up the street and was surprised I actually found it. 

Then came the task of straightening the rear corner. You can see in the previous picture the wheel opening got bent. Assuming when the tire came off, this is what caused the Jeep to hop upward first then come down. I found two bricks in the garage and gave it a few whacks to get it close to normal. 

All things considered, I’m glad no one got hurt and the minor damage is easily fixed. I’ll take a closer look tomorrow and make sure everything else is okay, but I suspect it is. 

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2019 at 11:44am
You probably should add a small bottle jack to the tool box

Past experience, I do not think you will ever hear a ping from too far advanced timing on these engines, you will see heating issues on the temp gage so keep an eye on that.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2019 at 3:02am
Body work with two bricks?  How...basic of you!  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2019 at 9:30pm
Handful of days to go!

It was a busy holiday weekend. I spent most of Friday and Saturday with the whole front axle apart to install the locker, knuckle seals, and king pin bearings.

Thankfully the weather was really nice to work in the driveway.

Disassembly and installing the locker in the carrier was pretty straight forward. I again ran into an issue with the gap between the two halves, so I had to add an extra shim on one side of the locker to get the gap within spec.

The king pin bearings and knuckle seals gave me a bit of a challenge though. With the bearings, there were differing lengths of cap bolts, some of which were so long they hit the bearings, so I had to take a trip to the hardware store to find some suitable replacements. The second issues was the NOS seals that I used. I had gotten them a while back and always intended to use them when I did the king pin bearings, but I struggled a little to get them in at first. Turns out it was as simple as trying to put them in backwards and not having the felt portion thoroughly cleaned of the goo like perservative.

It was kind of cool to use something that hadn't see the light of day since the 50s.

This is the goo that they were covered in. At first I didn't clean enough of the goo off the felt, so they weren't very pliable and caused lots of resistance to turn the knuckle. After a second cleaning they worked just fine.

All cleaned up and ready to install.

With all that done, that meant I had Sunday to go Jeeping!!! I took a quick trip up north with a few friends to bomb around the back woods. Nothing serious by any means, more or less a quick shakedown run prior to the FCT.

Overall, I'd say it's pretty close to ready. It's leaking a little oil from the engine/trans/t-case, that I'll look into, but other than that, I have a few odds and ends to button up before the trip like top off the fluids, finesse a few things with the top bows and stop top, and check the alignment.

Edited by unclemoak - 02 Sep. 2019 at 9:37pm
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2019 at 10:50pm
Looking good!

That gooey stuff is Cosmoline.  It's still sold today!  It's a great coating for steel or cast parts like the odd engine block that won't be used for a while.  I use their Weathershed spray product on my jeep.  Spendy but it works.

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2019 at 11:02pm
I really wish I could catch FCT this year and join you on the trail.  Such a wonderful host & group of people, and the jeeping there is as good as it gets... some other places are maybe just as good, but no place is better.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2019 at 3:39am
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Looking good!

That gooey stuff is Cosmoline.  It's still sold today!  It's a great coating for steel or cast parts like the odd engine block that won't be used for a while.  I use their Weathershed spray product on my jeep.  Spendy but it works.

I wasn't sure if it was cosmoline or something else. I had always heard horror stories of trying to remove cosmoline, so this being so easy to remove, I wasn't sure if that's what it actually was.
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2019 at 1:12am
4 Days to go!

Needlesss to say, I'm getting pretty excited for the trip.

I'm having some work done at my house, so there's a large block of concrete in the middle of my driveway, so I decided to test out the lockers. It's pretty wild that in low range, it'll just chug up over anything.

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2019 at 7:59pm
Great job getting your jeep built and put back together in short order!  I’m looking forward to seeing it in person next week.  Safe travels ‘til then.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2019 at 8:11pm
Thanks for keeping us up to date on your project.  See you at the TDR.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2019 at 5:48am
Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I couldn’t help myself and had to sneak in another last minute project. I got a rear seat and got it upholstered. It might have to tweak the legs a bit as they seen a half inch or so too narrow to fit in the floor clips. 

Star
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2019 at 5:06pm
You might have mentioned this in previous posts, but can you tell me about your disk brakes?  Everything from the master cylinder to the rotors.  I am considering this swap and would love your input.
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2019 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Pope891 Pope891 wrote:

You might have mentioned this in previous posts, but can you tell me about your disk brakes?  Everything from the master cylinder to the rotors.  I am considering this swap and would love your input.

It might be easier to read my write up on the 3a Forum. Basically stock the whole way to the wheel ends. S10 Hoses connect the to factory hard lines, custom caliper brackets, and Geo Tracker calipers and rotors. The only modification is to the rear hardline on the axle. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>