Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2020 Cheap Jeeps Meet and Ride- Kentucky - Event Date: 25 Sep. 2020 - 27 Sep. 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2020 at 2:45pm
Thinking about coming down for this adventure. But don't have a Flat fender on the road....
Black Sheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2020 at 5:28pm
Mr. Williams I would be more than happy to have you come. This is a 2 day event. If you plan to stay for both days call the Tompkinsville Inn and get you should be able to get a room. As for not having a opperable jeep, I feel there will be a few jeeps that could accommodate an extra rider. Usually there is. Maybe someone will chime in and volunteer on this post to let you know for sure that they have a seat for you. Will you be coming alone? Will you have a Mrs. Williams along? That would be helpful. 
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2020 at 5:52pm
Hey, Black Sheep! (Love your avatar truck there!). Scott Gilbert was telling me about this event, and mentioned that Bob3b was coming, and I know Bob. And I'm feeling the need for getting out in the woods and having some fun. The Bride says No, just go have fun without her this time. 

(Oh, yeah, by the way - Mr. Williams was my Daddy. I'm just Don...  haha! Wink)
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2020 at 3:13am
I got a room, so I'm coming Thursday afternoon. Hope I can find some body to ride with Friday and Saturday! haha
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2020 at 5:39am
Welcome to the page, Vintage Don!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Sdhharmon575 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sdhharmon575 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2020 at 5:53am
Hey Don this is as Troy would say One of the Columbia boys. You are more than welcome to ride with me Friday. Possibly even Saturday if my wife doesn’t come down for ride. I’ve got a pieced together 47 CJ2A that isn’t much to look at, smokes pretty bad as well, but it made both days of the ride last year.(Got any comments Troy)😎 I promise you will meet some great people and have a great weekend wheeling thru the backroads of Ky. and Tenn. So look me up when you get there Thursday. The Columbia boys will be setting up camp Thursday at Troy’s shop.See y’all soon!

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2020 at 3:32pm
Hey, Steve - that sounds like a great offer, and a good time to me! I will definitely look you up Thursday. (You might be sick of me by Friday night and hoping that you wife shows up for Saturday, though, haha.) From what I saw at the beginning of this thread, it sounds like the Columbia Boys know how to enjoy themselves - count me in.
GJCJs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJCJs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 9:55pm
In one week, we should be beginning to gather at the Cammack estate and increasing the Jeep population of Monroe County, KY by a large percentage! 

Troy and his crew are busy prepping for the event and he has asked me to share some information for the ride. 

Directions! FIRST RULE- DO NOT TRUST YOUR GPS!! A lot of the roads have changed and your GPS may take you down some roads you DO NOT want to be pulling a trailer on! Trust us on this! 
If you are coming from the south on I65;
Travel to and exit onto the Cumberland Parkway and proceed on parkway east. Travel approx. 15mi to Hwy 90 and exit onto Hwy 90 east. Then travel approx. 16mi to Hwy 163 south. Turn right on Hwy 163 and travel 13mi into Tompkinsville. Travel straight through Tompkinsville to Hwy 1366. Turn right onto Hwy 1366 and continue approx. 3.5 to 4 mi. to County Farm Rd. Turn left on County Farm Rd. and proceed 100 yards to gray double gates on your left and a cattle crossing. If you don’t know what a cattle crossing is, you need call one of us and get out of the city! 

If you are coming from the North on I65: Travel to Cumberland Parkway and exit on to Parkway headed east then follow from that point the same directions.

If you are coming south on I75 from Ohio- you have a couple of options. Easiest is to exit at Mt.Vernon to Somerset via 461 to Highway 80 and head west on the Cumberland Parkway, exit the parkway at the first Edmonton exit, turn left and resume highway 80 in about 3 miles. Follow it to the intersection of 80/90 and follow the directions above from 163 South. If you have issues call Greg 479-270-3375 or Troy 270-407-3078. I am available almost any time to talk you through the route from almost any direction! 

As for the ride! We will leave at 9am both mornings.  Please arrive a little early for a drivers meeting. We typically make a “fuel stop” in Tompkinsville each morning for any fuel or sundries (ice, snacks etc.) you may need. If you can arrive “fueled up” it will reduce the amount of time we spend at the station. As most of you know, an old Jeep garners a lot of attention and a gathering of this size garners a LOT of attention in a small town! Be ready to answer questions!

Camping:Troy has a couple of 120 volt hookups with 30 amp service available around the shop. PRIMITIVE camping is abundant. No water hookup is available, however the shop has a restroom available. If you are planning on camping, please give Troy a call if you need any special arrangements. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone there, old friends and new friends that we haven’t met yet!

Please call me with any questions you may have, we are here to help!

Greg
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2020 at 12:27am
Events have forced me to admit to myself that there's no way I can come next week, after all.... Calendar has totally filled up with things I cannot ignore or delay. - next year! I appreciate the offers of riding shotgun.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2020 at 7:30pm
The Ohio contingent will be there Thursday evening.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2020 at 2:11am
Great! I'm looking for ice cream!!!!!!!
43 Flat-Fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2020 at 4:28pm
Hi All,

New "cj-2a page"  member here!
Life long flat fender fan!

I'm looking forward to meeting the generous host Troy and the rest of the flat fender folks down in Tompkinsville tomorrow.

I'll be driving down from Louisville, KY on backroads in a 1943 WWII army jeep; a GPW with a Willys MB engine, otherwise, mostly stock.

I'm planning on pitching a tent and learning all I can and listening to tall stories about Jeep adventures and more.

I'm wondering, are there any tips or tricks or suggestions or do's and don'ts that would be good for a newbie or perhaps all of us to keep in mind as we start our long weekend together?

Perhaps like things to bring? 
For example handheld radios (FRS/GMRS or CB) for communication during the rides?
Any and all thoughts are welcome.

See y'all soon!

Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
FiremanBrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiremanBrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2020 at 4:39pm
I have 3 GRMS radios we can use.  Put one in the front, middle and back.  I'll load them in the go bag.
Sdhharmon575 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sdhharmon575 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2020 at 5:16pm
Most of us have CBs in our jeeps for communications. Trust me if there is something ya forget to bring someone else will have it & be glad to share with ya. That’s anything from parts to food to whatever. Also Troy & the boys are great hosts. Everyone have safe travels to Tompkinsville. The Columbia Boys should be there no later than dinner tomorrow. Good Lord willing & the creek don’t rise. CYA soon!!Wink

Steve(PATCHES)

GJCJs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJCJs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2020 at 5:57pm
43 Flat fender-

My brother in law (Steve) hit it well. If you need it, one of us probably has it and we don’t mind sharing! Suggestions: bring a small cooler for water/drinks and food on the trail. We likely will not be at a restaurant for lunch this year. (I may be wrong on that). Most of us bring some bug spray, sunscreen and head covering as we will be in the elements both days. As Steve said, CB is the most common communication on the ride, and like Brad, I’ll have a couple of the GMRS radios as well. This year, I think rain gear will be a welcome addition- if you believe WDRB!
Tompkinsville is a small town but does have a Wal Mart SuperCenter, a few Auto Parts stores and some restaurants, so if there is something you forget, it can usually be found locally. Troy’s place is only about 6 miles out of town, so it’s a comfortable Jeep ride away. 
Looking forward to meeting you and checking out your Jeep. The avatar looks great! We’ll probably have the only two there with a wire cutter! Travel safely and give us a shout if you have any issues. I sent you a PM with my number. 

Greg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2020 at 6:32pm
As for lunch each day! We have decided this year that we will be packing a cooler with sandwich materials for the whole clan! So no food is required for lunch, it will be provided compliments of the Deweese clan. So with that said, several coolers will be packed for lunch stops for both days.
The ride on Friday is led by Hollywood. He has planned the journey with a special lunch stop along the ride pattern. Also the same plan for Sat. which will be led by my favorite father-in-law
(Mr. Raney Morgan)
I'm not sure about Friday but Saturday, I have heard, could reach 117mi trip! WOW
It has come to my attention that Friday night is open to a weenie roast on site at the Cammack farm!!
Saturday will be catered here at the farm by the reputable HOG WILD BBQ!!!
I want to also re-post that we are aware of the covid issues and are planning the meals to be severed and lunches prepared as safe as we can. We would also like to point out that we all want to be respectful to others concerns. If you want me 10ft away, say so. I refuse to take offense and will gladly accommodate! It's that easy. If you want me to have a mask on when I approach you,say so and will gladly accommodate once again! It's that easy. Let's be respectful of the wishes of those around us this weekend. Especially at this point and time in history where respect seems to be almost extinct.
Those of you who plan to attend, may god look over your journey here and keep you safe. Know that we are ready and willing to come to your aid if you need us along the way.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2020 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by GJCJs GJCJs wrote:

Tompkinsville is a small town but does have a Wal Mart SuperCenter, a few Auto Parts stores and some restaurants.....

......and a casket store right there on the main drag. (have always been entertained by that idea)

Y'all have a big time.....we'll be thinking about you.

Take care, stay safe.....miss you guys.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2020 at 2:08am
Well, where would you put a casket store? lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>