Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2020 Cheap Jeeps Meet and Ride- Kentucky - Event Date: 25 Sep. 2020 - 27 Sep. 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2020 at 9:12pm
After 485 total miles in the '43 GPW from Louisville, KY to Tompkinsville, KY and back including Friday + Saturday Rides, my butt is officially numb!  Wacko

The experience, however, was priceless! 

Meeting Troy, his family, the Tompkinsville group, the "Columbia Crew" and the other attendees was an absolute pleasure!

The Friday and Saturday rides were spectacular!
The hospitality was as gracious as it gets!
The warm welcomes and acceptance is much appreciated.  
Thanks to "one and all".

Y'all have something very special down there in "The Heart of Kentucky", and it's good for the soul.
Thank you very much for sharing it with me (a newbie) over the last three days.

Now .... I need to go make an appointment with a therapist about a "Walmart story" that keeps haunting me ..... last night's crew will understand! Wink

Till we ride again ..... Peace

Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
Thisoldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thisoldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2020 at 9:39pm
Here is a quick vid of the Friday lunch creek crossing, thanks again to the wonderful hosts, felt like a family reunion without the relatives!

Sdhharmon575 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sdhharmon575 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2020 at 11:49pm
A great time was had by all at this years ride. We had great weather and two days of beautiful rides thru Ky. and Tenn. As always thanks to Cheap Jeeps for putting this on for the 5th. straight year. Troy and the boys do an excellent job as hosts. The Columbia Crew was happy to be a part of ride again this year. Met many great friends and made some new friends on this years ride. Missed seeing the ones that usually come every year but couldn’t make it this year.(especially Al and Marylyn)Cannot wait to do it again next year!!! Until then everyone stay safe and get to wrenching on the flatties for next years ride.

Lockwasher(aka-Steve)Thumbs UpWink

P.S. Walmart story is a classic for sure. Glad to see you made it home safe 43flatfender.        

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 1:29am
Ya know you're gonna have to tell the Walmart story at some point right?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 3:20am
What's with the Walmart story?  How bad could it be that therapy is needed?  Question
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Thisoldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thisoldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 11:59am

Here is the best part of the trip....bonkers

https://youtu.be/TEKZji5z90M

And here it is

https://youtu.be/7lvtdVHEveY

Also allot of high res pics on old Willy’s forum but I just can’t deal w the process of posting them here 

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 3:20pm
Ok - Those of us out here in cyber Jeep Land need more pictures of this excellent event!

I see that Waddle has "Brownie" and not his 1951 trail rig, so I can assume there were no "Crazy 8" moments and stickers handed out. 

Troy, How are the bed extensions holding up?  There was one in the video with a tire and can mounted on it - was that a 12" version?  Just wondering if that set up needs support rods. 

Hoping to attend next year.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 8:25pm
Well I was going to post photos but apparently it won't let me, so here is a link.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1La_8QxNhrBwFkGNTdcW22-xXplgEjtsF?usp=sharing

1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 8:33pm
Lets try it on Chrome! Safari would not let me upload.

1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 9:10pm
....Thanks Bob! Thumbs Up.....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

ktmracer21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktmracer21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 10:37pm
Here is the link to the photos that Hollywood's nephew took with his drone on Friday.  

ktmracer21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktmracer21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 10:40pm
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2020 at 10:45pm
Looks like fun! 

Thanks for sharing!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Black Sheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 2:00pm
Stev the bed extensions are great as for me. They have been holding up well and hauling regularly. As for the 12" in the pic, its been rigged with the tire and can for a while and appears to be fine. He also has a stash in the bed itself along with the tire and can.LOL
 The three 24" beds in the pics hauled coolers for lunch and took the place of the bantam trailer this year. They also came in handy for the jeeps at full capacity with room to carry dogs and personal items. The 12" beds were on  I think 3 of them.  As for needing support?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 3:00pm
Troy, the Ward Branch Landing storefront is a neat photo op.....what is its normal function? Hard to tell from the pictures whether it was a general store, restaraunt, etc.....just curious, looks like a nice stop.

Looks like a great weekend.

Shout out to the drone operator also....that was good footage.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

GJCJs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJCJs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 3:25pm
Finally getting everything put away in it’s proper place and able to get back on the page. WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND! It was such a great escape from the craziness of 2020! Someone commented on the “family reunion” vibe and I have to agree, what a great bunch of people to spend time with. The entire Columbia Crew had an absolute blast and made it home in one piece with everything still running. Yay! The list of repairs (transmission) and improvements is already on the chalkboard to be addressed over the winter. 

As always, thanks to Troy, Julie, Ethan and Seth for hosting and just being who you are, love ya’ll. Lonnie, Marilyn- you’re the best and the genesis of this entire weekend. Can you believe this was our 5th year? Hollywood, Rainey-You outdid yourselves on the routes this year! Bravo gentlemen, BRAVO! Rob G- the ballots are in, come on back next year! Bob 3B- outstanding photos as always. Thank you for sharing them with us.

I know I’ve left some things out and don’t really want to write a novel here. Already looking forward to this fun and family friendly event again next year. 

Greg (PeePaw)
GJCJs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJCJs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 3:32pm

Troy, How are the bed extensions holding up?  There was one in the video with a tire and can mounted on it - was that a 12" version?  Just wondering if that set up needs support rods. 

Stev- that is my ride and as you can see, it is rough around the edges and a work and trail Jeep. The extension has been on since the beginning of the year and has not moved since installing it. The can is empty, and as Troy alluded to, the extension was full with cooler, tools, High Lift etc. I am not using support rods and have no plans to add them (although they are laying in the shop). The weak link is the tailgate, but it is already rough, so I have no worries there. My brother-in-law has a one footer on his as well and carries as much weight in his if not more. 
Black Sheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 4:10pm
That is a cabin that was built on a piece of family property located on the Cumberland rive. The Williams family owns the cabin and have added the other store front buildings for collectables and improvements to the site. They rent the facility out for weddings and what not. It is also available for nightly stays,events and so forth.He is a jeep fan and had several flatties on the farm where the cabin sits but most were just to far gone. Mr.Williams is in the process of having one fixed up this year so maybe he can join us on our next adventure.
As for the drone operator, that will be Hollywood's nephew Zack. He took off work to meet us and pull off the video and pics. Matt settled in here at the shop and added the appropriate music that seems to make the video's perfect for me. ( Hat's off to Zack and Matt, Great job!) The overlook is owned by Mr. Darren Cleary and was gracious enough to allow us to pass through and enjoy the view. Due to trespassers it is in the process of being closed off to the public. It's located aprox. 1/2mi up river from the ferry. Maybe somewhere down the line we can take this ride again.
Overall the ride went well. Matt had some trouble with his jeep and that was the only jeep that didn't make the complete ride. We had a tranny issue with one and 2 possible overdue rebuilds before next year(Tightwad and Lock Washer! LOL) The Hog Wild BBQ boys were on que and as for those who were concerned, they were well taken care of and thanks for your generosity to them. It takes a large load off with them coming to serve us.
To all those that help with this event-THANK YOU!!!!!!
Raney & Hollywood -Trail Guides and behind the scenes help with cattle and shop/jeep work
Matt,Ethan,Seth- The guys that keep the Business running and jeep repair going while I chase      rabbits before and during the event.
Greg & Steve- Jeep builds for the new guys and improvements to the other units before the event. and counseling for me!LOL
Sherly & Julie - Cleaning for guests and making sure I remember what/who/where I need to address
Chris- Whatever you ask he does!
YOU- Guest that are courteous to others. Very appreciative people who make it easy to be around. Generous to those who serve at this event. People who take in regards there are families at this event and keep the air clear of foul language and campsite's clean and personal beverages hidden. People who bow each morning when I request prayer for the day and before meals. People who respect our veterans who are recognized every mourning. A group that can take a good joke and help till late hours getting a fellow jeeper repaired for the next days ride. Those that spend a few days before the event baking goods for the shop loafers and snack bags for the ride.
I thank you all for the efforts you apply that make this possible!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>