Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

225 lifter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 225 lifter
    Posted: 30 Mar. 2019 at 7:07pm
My cj5 had a bent pushrod, so I pulled the intake off to check the lifters. The good news is it looks better inside than I thought it would. No sludge, and the lifters look really good, although there is some wear on the cam. Anyways, my lifter has come apart and I can’t find the pieces. Any reason to expect that the pieces are anywhere besides the bottom of the oil pan?

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2019 at 10:27pm
The oil pan is the only place that I would expect you to find your missing GM HL47 parts.
I'm curious  what the retainer clip looks like. 
Broken into  two pieces or ???
I suppose its possible that the clip first broke, then fell out and that caused the push rod to bend.

If the retainer clip is mashed in any way you may closely want to inspect the sides of crank pins and journals for possible damage from the falling clip.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2019 at 9:38pm
If it’s not in any danger of wrecking anything I’m probably going to leave it down there for now. As near as I can tell I’ve been driving it with a bent pushrod since I got it running 2 years ago, so it’s probably been down there that long already. 

Edited by NCtoy - 31 Mar. 2019 at 9:41pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2019 at 9:53pm
My best guess is that once the clip and the lifter guts get into the pan they will most likely stay down there. 
This is certainly true if you have a pan magnet. 
Without a pan magnet you increase the risk that these parts may swirl around in the oil and feasibly be sloshed around thereby causing them to hit the crank journals.
Of course if the loose swirling parts were to get hit by the crank journals they could get thrown up toward the camshaft lobes.

T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 1:24am
You are right, as usual. I think I’m going to stick a magnet on the bottom of the pan, run it a little to flush any pieces of gasket or trash into the pan, then take it off when I change the oil. 

One other question, I got it mostly back together today and briefly ran it without the valve covers to check operation. The new pushrod isn’t rotating like the others are. Can I assume it will rotate more as it wears in?
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 1:53am
Hence the old addage never put new lifters onto an old camshaft or new camshaft on using the old lifters.

Without a full rebuild.... About all you can do is just put it back together and hope for the best.

At times I can be pretty dad gone cheap.....
I think I would tried to fish out the lifter it had and see if it was fixable ???
The bent rod could feasibly be straighened and re-used ???

Edited by oldtime - 02 Apr. 2019 at 2:20am
Zero aftermarket parts

NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 12:30am
I’m trying to do this on the cheap since it’s my beater project jeep. Im trying to resist the rebuild until I can’t get around it  It runs good for now at least. Seems like I had heard you could put new lifters on an old cam if it wasn’t too worn. I didn’t even think to put the new internals into the old lifter body. Well see what happens. 

There was no saving the pushrod, it broke when I pulled it out of the head. It’s broken in the sharp part of the bend, I just pushed it back together for the pic. 
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 12:50am
Yeah basically I suspect the new lifter would have to match the OEM exactly in order to put the new guts into the old lifter body.
That just another reason I prefer to run OEM parts. 
May be hard to find OEM parts but the chance of matching them with the original parts goes way up.

Since the push rod was that bad then chances are that the lifter piston (guts) was also trashed when it popped out from the lifter body.
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply