Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

230 Tornado?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 230 Tornado?
    Posted: 24 Dec. 2020 at 1:04am
I am thinking that I could use a Willys pick up. I am looking at two, priced pretty close, with a similar state of rust. A '62 with a plow and a homemade steel bed powered by a 226 that turns over but doesn't start, and a '63 that has all the sheet metal and is pretty much all original but is powered by a stuck 230 Tornado.  I know the '63 with the Tornado would be worth a lot more restored, But I don't have have a clue about that motor, and finding rebuild parts seems like quite a project.  In general I go for drivers rather than museum pieces. Any advice regarding the Tornado?
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2020 at 4:36am
I have on in my M715, I have put 20k miles on it with no issues other than leaking valve cover gaskets, they have a rubber seal and the ones availible today crack from heat cycles I’m lucky to get a year out of one. The engine itself is very smooth running, the civilian model like your looking at has a front mounting plate like a 2A engine that were somewhat prone to leaking so I’m told, I like mine 👍🏽 A very unique engine with an overhead cam and cross flow head and the cam has only one lobe per cylinder that runs both valves 😮 Walcks has most parts for them.

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2020 at 9:56am
Thanks for the reply. Do you know anyone who's ever rebuilt one?
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2020 at 11:58am
Yes, but years ago. Several guys on the M715 Zone have rebuilt theirs, pretty simple engine.....I’ve seen running ones sell on marketplace around the country for cheap, but never close by.

Lee😉
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2020 at 2:00pm
Old Willys Forum has a lot of stuff on the 230 Tornado.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2020 at 3:18pm
Say Lee, I think you got us wondering.
I realize those are huge valve covers but could you possibly buy some good quality sheet cork gasket material and make your own valve cover gaskets. 
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2020 at 4:41pm
As was stated there is a lot of info on the Old Willys Forum. I have the L-226 in my 55 pickup and have been satisfied with it for an old engine. The L-226 was based on the Continental Red Seal which was used in many different applications. Parts availability is good. The Tornado 230 was only in use for about 3 years I think, not long enough to even work the bugs out. Parts might be less available. Below is a pretty good link

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/06/classic-engine-jeeps-tornado-straight-six.html
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2020 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Say Lee, I think you got us wondering.
I realize those are huge valve covers but could you possibly buy some good quality sheet cork gasket material and make your own valve cover gaskets. 

Thanks for the thoughts but it’s a bit more complicated than that, it’s a rubber seal with a bead that pops into a slot cast in the aluminum valve cover, we’re it made of silicone like Detroit Diesel did, they would last forever!.... Very easy to replace!.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2023 at 9:45am
If I were ever to venture into a pickup it would have a 230.  Its just cool looking and sets that truck apart from others.  I had an M715 and it was reliable and powerful enough to drive in traffic.  It had that leak which wasnt bad but it was annoying.   I bought the truck with a bad engine (rod knock) and swapped it out with a pull from another M715 guy.  During ownership I easily gathered up spare engine parts and eventually sold them - easily.  I bet the knocking engine is still in my friends garage…maybe someday.
 Post Reply Post Reply