Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2A from NM to NJ 1946 #29289 thread #2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2A from NM to NJ 1946 #29289 thread #2
    Posted: 05 Jan. 2015 at 2:37pm
I'm resuming my posts as 'thread 2' since this is more appropriate forum now that my 2A 'story' has evolved into a 'project'   For prior history, see the 'Story and photos' sub forum.  

Having dropped my project off at Army Jeep Parts in PA for a more comprehensive overhaul I am working on small sub-projects at home.  One is to restore the very good but (like everything else on the jeep) worn out Harrison Heater.  Secondly, to restore a pair of correct parking lights to replace the Bubba-job lights tack welded in their place.  
The lights I got were complete with good lens and rubber but very pitted.  Also they were chrome, whereas #28289 would've had painted black.  So the steps this weekend: bead blast all the parts, prime with self etching Eastwood everything that is straight, fill pits with bondo, sand and re-prime.  Temps in NJ were in the 50's so I could paint outside.  

Edited by ersatzS2 - 06 Jan. 2015 at 7:21pm
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2015 at 2:43pm
The great thing about #28289 is that it spent it's life in the desert.  So like the rest of the jeep, the heater was totally rust free.  The bad thing about #28289 is that it was worked hard it's whole life, so the heater was in need of TLC.  I took the motor apart and discovered the hot lead had lost most of its insulation.  So I 'recoated' the lead with heat-shrink tube, then reassembled, tested, and painted it black.  The radiator core had an old JB weld repair that is holding so I left it alone.  The rest of the pieces I put in the media cabinet, and stripped.  BTW, no sign of the old 'Willys' sticker under the yellow paint.  The Old gold paint inside was in very good shape, but I stripped anyway after taping off a small panel for posterity.   
Stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2015 at 3:36pm
Looks nice.  What did you do about the stamping on the parking lights?  Did you try to fix the pitting, or bondo over stamping?
1946 CJ2A #44093
1946 CJ2A #44754
1952 REO M108 Crane/wrecker

Pile of parts...
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2015 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Stretch Stretch wrote:

Looks nice.  What did you do about the stamping on the parking lights?  Did you try to fix the pitting, or bondo over stamping?
I just avoided bondo near the stamping.  It was faint to begin with, and partially pitted, so I figured just live with it. 
Painted top coat on Harrison heater with Hammered Finish Bronze.  Mission accomplished on the hammering, not sure that came out as per factory... 

was1257 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote was1257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2015 at 6:42pm
i saw your jeep at ajp.
for the use and abuse, it looks pretty complete.
i know george is trying to match the pasture green he found.
very cool.
my 2a, serial#47xxx is getting it's yearly maintence now and also getting the transmission/transfer case getting rebuilt.
the date on the transmission is 6/14/46, which means my jeep was probably bulit in july '46
and speaking of cocran-brown lights, i was able to rebuilt the original headlights that survived with the jeep
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2015 at 6:09pm
#29,289 came with a Harrison heater, plus this neat attachment to divert one outlet to the driver's side windshield as a defroster.  I refinished the adapters, and got some new hose from McMaster Carr... 
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 8:13pm
After a very long search and kissing a lot of frogs, George finally located a very good MB chassis as donor for my project.  Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  It is in great shape in all the places that matter, all of the laminated sections are pristine, it is straight with very little corrosion.  
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 8:15pm
Now we have a chassis, work can continue on the body.  New sheet metal, and body stripped for repairs... 
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 8:24pm
cut the rear half of the gun mount plate off, move the two rear tub mounts from inside to outside, and relocate the upper rear shock mounts, and install the bellcrank bracket to the front crossmember and you will be on your way....

2A tranny crossmember with either 3/4 or 1" spacers...

Thumbs Up
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 8:42pm
I have a column shift crossmember if you need one.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

cut the rear half of the gun mount plate off, move the two rear tub mounts from inside to outside, and relocate the upper rear shock mounts, and install the bellcrank bracket to the front crossmember and you will be on your way....

2A tranny crossmember with either 3/4 or 1" spacers...

Thumbs Up

Yep, that's the plan!  This is one of the 'special' 29,XXX 2As originally built on an MB chassis modified just as you describe.   So we already have the exact relocation points and spacers for the 2A crossmember to re-use.  
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by mullen46cj2a mullen46cj2a wrote:

I have a column shift crossmember if you need one.

Thanks I think our donor is in good shape but i will check!
was1257 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote was1257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2015 at 1:13am
How's the restoration going?i haven't been to an lately to see the progress of your 2a
was1257 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote was1257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2015 at 1:14am
I mean I haven't been to AJP lately
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 4:26am

Well this project is taking a bit longer than anticipated.  However the frame is restored to perfection, and on it's way to becoming a rolling chassis.

Edited by ersatzS2 - 27 Oct. 2018 at 4:28am
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 4:34am
Spring leaves were in good shape, now getting a new finish

ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 3:45pm
Body restored with no replacement panels: stretched and dented metal was shrunken and reshaped.  Bed is probably much straighter now than new!

ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 3:52pm
Pasture Green paint mixed from sample underside of toolbox lid.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>