Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2A pickup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2A pickup
    Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 4:26pm
I just finished up my extraction/recovery CJ3B and have two more jeeps yet to build. 
I have been contemplating several different body modifications in order to lengthen the wheelbase on one of them.
One of my ideas is to purchase a Bantam trailer bed and turn a cj3a into a pickup using a Kelly half cab up front.

Scouting for pics I found this 2A that looks pretty similar.
Wondering what you all think about the rig shown in this link ?
Is that not a Jeep trailer bed ?
Chad, you have ample experience here so what do you think ?
Sorry don’t know how to load the pic direct...

Edited by oldtime - 25 Apr. 2021 at 4:29pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 4:44pm
Ken,

I've had the Bantam Trailer idea for a number of years and think I said something to Chad about it too.

Seeing the pictures its neat but I envisioned shortening the Bantam Tub as well.

It would be a unique vehicle.

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 4:54pm

Yeah your probably right about shortening the bed.
I seems to me that for proper length to width ratio it may look a lot better if bed is shortened to 4’ length.
I also expect the that the addition of a Kelly or Koenig half cab to be ideal.
Anybody here able to photo shop those kinda changes ?

Edited by oldtime - 25 Apr. 2021 at 4:59pm
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 4:59pm
Personal preference is a subjective thing. To my eyes the Bantam trailer idea is OK I guess but I don't care much for the look...to me it looks like what it is, a trailer with a body.

That said, it lends itself well to a military look vehicle. A more 'utilitarian' look with less emphasis on total overall 'lines'.

I did what I wanted 13 years ago....if others like other ideas then that is the route they should take.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 5:09pm
Well Chad we all certainly like the look of Frankie.
I particularly prefer your choice of rear fenders.
But I was also considering to use the full 6’ bed version as a conestiga style camper. 
When it comes to actual use it seems that every change has it’s + and it’s -.
I may just be better off with the short wheel base jeep and pull a bantam trailer when the need arises. Idk 
One reason I wanna go long wheelbase is to better fit in a D20 transfer case and fit a centered axle differential carrier.
Zero aftermarket parts

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I just finished up my extraction/recovery CJ3B ....

Ken, it's good to hear you are finished with this rig. Where can we go to see some pictures? With all your tech tips and usage of factory parts it seems to be a pretty fascinatinng rig. Would really like to see how all those parts work together....I know you have been working on it a long time.

Please post some pics in the Other Vehicles section or maybe just point us to a link.

An extraction/recovery vehicle sounds neat!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 6:09pm
I thought I started a post on it a long time back but can’t seem to find anything online.
For the longest time I had gotten side tracked buying and selling my other surplus jeeps.
I may have to write up a detailed account for this latest old school “rescue”  3B build.
Need to find my pics too as I can’t seem to get back into my Imgur account in the past year.
I’ll post build details on the 3A/B forum when I get it all together.

Edited by oldtime - 25 Apr. 2021 at 6:10pm
Zero aftermarket parts

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 1:12am
I Like The concept & the pictured rig.

IMHO, It would look better with four "steps" in the spaces on that step-side bed. Also, I would have some kind of cab on it, either metal, wood, or canvass. It looks good bare, but very impractical. It needs some kind of "headache" rack or substantial enclosed cab. Keep in mind I use my rigs, so I need it to be a little bit safe with a load in the back. If this is a "Parade Queen" it would be just fine.
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 3:33am
Vehicle aesthetics are subjective, but since you asked: It looks like the result of two committees, with no overall direction. Kinda cartoony.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 3:49am
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Vehicle aesthetics are subjective, but since you asked: It looks like the result of two committees, with no overall direction. Kinda cartoony.

Agree. I don't think the proportions are right. 
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 3:49am
Yeah it takes some getting used to the look and it most certainly needs a stout half cab and a double wall bulkhead.
I was mainly interested in it for practical reasons and not the looks. 
Still thinking that Bantam should have gotten half of the contract. LOL Ha ha ha !

Edited by oldtime - 26 Apr. 2021 at 3:50am
Zero aftermarket parts

wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 3:51am
There are tons of trailers out there. Maybe another one would look better. A Ben-Hur or even a 416 with it squared of fenders to match the look of the front fenders.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 4:11am
i would like to see more pics of rocnroll's version. i thought i came across some somewhere. it is pretty awesome. here is this one with a PS'd shorter bed. i could put a top on it but need an image at a similar angle.

and a bit shorter:

Edited by bight - 26 Apr. 2021 at 4:23am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 4:20am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply