Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3b wiring colors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3b wiring colors
    Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 11:19am
my 3b has someone’s restoration harness in it, but someone added a lot of other little things making circuits hard to follow, and now my brake lights are not working.  

The harness looks like a quality braided covering one,  i have seen the schematics,  but they do not show what color wire goes to what.   Does one exist with colors, were they consistent at all?

Edited by bkwudz - 19 Nov. 2017 at 11:22am
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 2:11pm
Sorry, my 3B has messed with enough that when I tried to trace down why my rear lights didn't work I found 3 different colors of wires heading back there. I think I would first check out the brake light switch. Connect the 2 wires and if the lights are on you have the answer.
uncamonkey
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 3:41pm
Paul,
My harness was decomposed to the point I couldn't see any color.  Many wires were already replaced with modern generic wire (all the same color - so I had to trace them).  I have a new harness in a box yet to be installed.

Here is a partial on color:

Using the Vintage Wiring of Maine manual, they identify Green W/T from stop light switch to upper harness.  Left and right tail lights have Green G/T and Red W/T (I requested an inclusion of a turn signal which may affect color- I haven't gotten into it yet).

I will say that regardless of what the color is or isn't supposed to be, you can easily (and should) test each wire for continuity to figure out which wire is which.  If I were to do this, I'd disconnect the wires and ground them - one at a time.  Then at the other end of the wire, test with an ohm meter to see which wire is grounded (I can imagine a PO could have altered the harness without regard to color - similar to unkamonkey's harness).  Then you'll know which wire is which and can add a tab to identify before reattaching.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 1:14pm
thanks  Rus, that is helpful.

I believe I have a harness from VWOM,   

I would guess I have a short somewhere, as now I notice when I put the lights on, it trips that breaker on the switch half the time.   Maybe the switch is bad too.    
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 2:47pm
My light switch breaker was kicking off all the time. Turned out that I had the bulb in my tail light in slightly skeewhompus and the bulb was doing the shorting out. Took me a while to run this down, but other than time it didn't cost me anything to fix.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 1:51am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

"...skeewhompus..."

Is that a new technical term?  LOL
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 4:53am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

"...skeewhompus..."

Is that a new technical term?  LOL

Nope, very OLD technical term I learned from my Grampa. Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 12:45pm
[QUOTE=bkwudz] thanks  Rus, that is helpful.

I would guess I have a short somewhere, as now I notice when I put the lights on, it trips that breaker on the switch half the time.   Maybe the switch is bad too.   [QUOTE=bkwudz]

Yes, check the light switch. I had two go bad on my 3B few years ago, and they were new replacements. I can't remember the brand however.

One switch was shorting out enough to stall the engine every time I pulled the switch on.
Dave
44 Willys MB
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 2:50pm
Here's a post from Jeeproger about a known problem and repair for some of the faulty new repop headlight switches.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2017 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by HCAT HCAT wrote:

Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

thanks  Rus, that is helpful.

I would guess I have a short somewhere, as now I notice when I put the lights on, it trips that breaker on the switch half the time.   Maybe the switch is bad too.  

Yes, check the light switch. I had two go bad on my 3B few years ago, and they were new replacements. I can't remember the brand however.

One switch was shorting out enough to stall the engine every time I pulled the switch on.

I remembered a post about bad switches.  I found this one:
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/light-switch-shorting_topic21486_post184662.html?KW=#184662
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply