Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

#4 cylinder getting hot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F.T.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #4 cylinder getting hot
    Posted: 24 July 2010 at 1:39am
Thanks to all who replyed to my hot exhaust problem. Useing a heat scanner I found that #1 cylinder is running at 220 degrees, #2 cylinder is running at 220 degrees, #3 cylinder is running at 220 degrees, and #4 cylinder is running at 450 to 480 degrees. Not good, I have talked to everone in this area and no one can give me an answer why this is going on. Reground cam, everything else new. This happens after 2min of running time. I have checked everything at least twice. Does not run lean and I cannot detect any vacum leak. Heat riser works great. Anyone run into this befor let me know. I know that if I run the engine to long it will burn up the valve ang guide as it did befor. Thanks in advance F.T.S.
F.T. Stewart
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 2:22am
Is your exhaust valve opening, what is the compression on that cyl.
Ed
cj2a lefty
F.T.S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F.T.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 2:43am
p3ferris, #1cyl 90lbs, #2cyl 92lbs, #3cyl 92lbs. #4cyl 98lbs. Thanks for the reply. F.T.S.
F.T. Stewart
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 3:37am
If the exhaust wasn't opening on #4, it wouldn't show up on a compression test. I think I'd pull the side cover and verify that the valve is actually moving the same as the others. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 6:36pm
The compression is a little higher on that cyl but that is not the culprit.  Gale is right and that was part of my first point, it may not be opening all the way.  If it  was not opening at all it may  cause a head gasket to go bad
Ed
cj2a lefty
 Post Reply Post Reply