Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

45 MB Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 45 MB Project
    Posted: 24 Jan. 2019 at 5:33pm
In May of 2018, I finally bought a Willys MB after wanting one for quite some time. Digging deeper into the project, I found it was quite the amalgamation of parts from various models. The frame and body are from an MB, the drivetrain is from a CJ2A or 3A, and the windshield is from a CJ3A plus. Additionally, the brakes (rear at least) are some sort of modification, as they have parking brake cables attached to the backing plate running to nowhere. The Jeep is mostly operational right now, but rattles quite a bit, and gets a bit iffy on the oil pressure when it warms up. There's plenty of repairs and modifications that previous owners have done, which will all need to be removed, or cleaned up.

I'm planning on getting the jeep into a garage this weekend to begin the long process of doing a frame up restoration. The goal is to have an MB looking jeep, while still using the drive train I currently have. I plan on painting it Navy grey using ship's paint from where I work to keep it pretty realistic. Anyhow, onto the photos...

When I first got the jeep, it was held up with registration with a bad open title. Learned my lesson there. Eventually had to contact that last legal owner and pray he didn't want his jeep back. Anyhow, it all worked out. While waiting, I performed some basic maintenance on the jeep.

Note: Broken shock plate has been repaired.
northcoastsailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2019 at 5:43pm
After getting the rig legal and running, I took the opportunity to put some miles on it, and I wasn't shy about it.

Living in the bay area allows for number of interesting places to cruise about to:

Note non OEM parking brake...

Dduring this period, I started doing more in depth inspection, and found this oddity: the engine mounts welded to the frame and engine plate... Not exactly sure what that is about.

And finally it was time to park it for a few months while I went off to sea. It looks a bit small compared to that deuce and a half.

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2019 at 3:48am
Wow those pictures are so awesome Clap
Thanks for sharing. 

Looks like the motor mount broke and someone decided to just weld it Confused never seen that bubba fix!

1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2019 at 4:10am
Well torque roll sure ain't gonna be a problem with that setup. Be fun grinding that mess out. welcome and neat jeep.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2019 at 8:09pm
They did it on both sides. Hoping its not too big of a can of worms. I must have hit enough hard bumps, because it looks like all the bubble gum welds have broken between the motor mount and frame. My plan will to be to remove the motor, tranny, and transfer case, clean up the motor mount areas, and then temporarily reinstall them in order to get proper mounting alignment for a new T90 rear crossmember. The work done to make the the original MB rear crossmember mount the T90 leaves much to be desired.

Bit iffy on whether the body will survive this restoration the more I look at it.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 2:58am
People have nicely restored bodies that were in much worse shape than that.  Don't give up on it yet!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 1:13am
Update: Jeep has been moved to the workshop, and the tear down shall commence Friday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 2:14am
One weekend in and I've gotten quite a bit done, or at least I think so. Managed to strip the engine compartment, stripped the engine of all major external components (except for the distributor which is being a bit onnery), removed the electrical system, removed all of the gauges and switches, and removed the body.

A look in the gear box doesn't look too bad. This will be rebuilt either way.

Any idea what sort of brakes these are? Appear to be non MB or early CJ with that parking brake cable. Each of the rear wheels have them.

The engine, transmission, and transfer case is next to be pulled, after I remove the brake system. The engine et al will be an interesting evolution as I need to remove the modified original cross member and temporarily install a later CJ2A style crossmember in order to mark new holes for it's mounting. Before I do that However, I need to repair or replace the front engine plate as the passenger side is bent aft a half inch or so. Time to put that engineering degree to work me thinks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 2:27am
Also, I'll eventually have these tires and wheels and the windshield for sale if anybody is interested in Northern California.
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 3:25am
Great progress so far. If you need any parts, I’m in Napa and have many take off, nos and repo parts. 
Jay
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 3:38am
I’m not in northern Cali but I do need a correct windshield. And a vacation to somewhere warmer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 4:09am
Come one come all!! Although we have snow in the forecast for tonight!!
Jay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2019 at 9:31pm
Got a day of work on the jeep this weekend, where I tackled repairing the welded motor mounts. I ended up placing a jack under the engine, and using a cutoff wheel to cut the welded mounts between the engine plate and frame. I then removed the engine plate, and used a grinder to remove the remaining weld material from the frame brackets. I purchased a new (old) engine plate, as the original was bent and had some damage to the alternator mounting location, and temporarily bolted that in place. The engine now rests on some wood blocks and shims while I await arrival of the proper engine and transmission mounts.

Old welded engine mount to frame.

Cleaned engine mount brackets and engine missing front plate.

Close up of driver side engine mount.

New front plate temporarily installed and supported by blocks.

Now that this is complete, I can tackle removing the old transmission crossmember and its less than ideal mountings and install a later CJ2A/3A style crossmember. This will be a bit of a process as I need to install the engine mounts to locate the engine properly, and then install the crossmember and new transmission and transfer case mounts, and then locate the crossmember on the frame to drill the new mounting holes. Not difficult, just a bit of work to do.

Current jerry rigged MB crossmember trying to support a CJ2A T90 transmission setup.

I hope to get this all done by Friday before I head up to Washington and British Columbia Next week. If all goes well, I'll be pulling the engine and transmission when I get back and start disassembly on that front to get the engine off to the machine shop.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2019 at 9:56pm
Also, I'm looking at what it's going to take to remove the big round front bumper on the jeep and my methodology for reshaping it to near original. Basically, the old bumper was removed, and this new Round tube welded into the front horn brackets. What I am noticing on this 45' MB frame, is that the frame horn appears to be squared off, rather than having an angle as I've seen on most MBs. Is this normal for a late MB, or was this something done by the previous owner? The squareness doesn't look to be the same low quality work done else wear on the jeep, which leads me to believe that it is stock.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2019 at 10:10pm
Mounted the engine and transmission on the new CJ3 crossemember with proper rubber mounts.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2019 at 2:43am
Progress!  Excellent!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2019 at 5:40am
Jay

I see you live in Napa which is about 1 1/2 hours from me. "Lincoln, CA"  Do you recall a person near you, Petaluma?  that has/had a Jeep shop that specialized in rebuilding the L-134 motor.  Sold some Jeepster Commando parts to him but lost contact.
 I hope to be heading your way soon to enjoy  a bite or two from the best pizza ever!  . Filippis Pizza Grotto.

Would be fun to meet up with you and others and share stories.  You might even have a few parts I am needing.
 Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2019 at 5:59am
Originally posted by jeepsterjim jeepsterjim wrote:

Jay

I see you live in Napa which is about 1 1/2 hours from me. "Lincoln, CA"  Do you recall a person near you, Petaluma?  that has/had a Jeep shop that specialized in rebuilding the L-134 motor.  Sold some Jeepster Commando parts to him but lost contact.
 I hope to be heading your way soon to enjoy  a bite or two from the best pizza ever!  . Filippis Pizza Grotto.

Would be fun to meet up with you and others and share stories.  You might even have a few parts I am needing.
 Jim

Jim PM sent
Jay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>