Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

45 MB Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 3:14am
Removed the engine from the frame, and stripped it prior to sending it to the machine shop.

Stripped block ready to be shipped off to the machine shop.

Amassing the parts.

Eeep.

Bellhousing shows quite a bit of an oil leak.

Frame horn needing repair and fabrication.

The bore was 0.060 over, really don't want to go to 0.080 or sleeve it, but it's looking like I will have to. The Crank was 0.010 under on the mains and rod journals. Machine shop said they sent it off to be ground because it didn't look too good. Cylinders 2 and 3 had mismatched caps with rods from the wrong cylinders. Hopefully it will all work out ok. Not interested in investing in another engine. Looking at getting a new used set of rods this weekend.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2019 at 5:14am
  Hard to tell from the pic whether you have or not, but don't forget to remove the locating dowel pins from the main bearing saddles and caps. You don't want to lose them!  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
northcoastsailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2019 at 5:56am
Been a month since my last update, so it's high time for a status update.

Since the previous update, the transmission and transfer case have been pulled, the axles removed, and the frame cleaned. Some grinding and cutting of old steel has taken place, notably removing the aftermarket front bumper, and the mangled rear bumper. The axles were removed and cleaned. The brakes are 11" drum from a CJ5, and all new parts have been procured to get these up to snuff. 

The generator and starter have been sent off to a well regarded auto-electric shop in Oakland, CA. The frame is currently at a body shop getting straightened and some welding done to fix some cracks and fill holes added. The axle shafts, steering knuckles, and hubs have been removed. The front axle shafts are Spicer, so that was a pleasant surprise.

The engine was sent off to the machine shop, and has since returned with 4 new sleeves, a decked block and head, new valve guides, and a ground crank 0.02 under. After the frame gets finished, the engine assembly will be the next big project.

Now, pictures!

11" Drum brakes. The shoes, cylinder, and hardware will all be replaced. A new dual master cylinder is also on hand.

Frame ready for power washing.

Getting soaked during the power washing process.

After the washing, the frame has been mounted on saw horses, ready for inspection.

Removed the rear crossmember, and cleaned up the V brace.

Rear axle cleaned up and ready fro primer.

Axle painted with primer. Getting this far felt like a big accomplishment.

The front axle with original brass bushing and thrust washer. These are made unnecessary by the spicer axles. They do not look to be in great condition.

Engine back from the machine shop.

Lovely crosshatching.

Starter motor prior to being sent to the rebuilder.

Frame is out at the body shop, so I cleaned the shop a bit and piled up some parts to send to the blaster for cleaning and priming.

Once the frame is done at the body shop, it will come back with holes filled, cracks welded, battery tray installed, and new frame horns. After that, it will get sand blasted and then primed and painted, along with the springs, crossmember, and wheels. The goal is to get a rolling chassis by the end of April. Tomorrow will be time to clean the front axle with pressure washer and various implements of grime destruction, before final degreasing and priming.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2019 at 12:02pm
Great progress, keep up the momentum!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2019 at 5:42pm
Been awhile since I've posted here. Since my last post:
  1. Frame and accessories have been sandblasted, primed, and painted. Additionally, frame was straightened, holes filled, and new frame horns grafted in.
  2. Axles have been wire wheeled, primed, painted.
  3. Engine has returned from the machine shop with 4 new sleeves to standard, and a reground crank to 0.2 on main and rod journals.
  4. I've picked up my rebuilt starter and generator from the electrical shop.
  5. Rebuilt the horn and distributor while at sea.
Most recently, I've begun the reassembly process. The following photos show the frame being fitted with the rear suspension, differential, 11" brake backing plates, and hubs.

Primed parts awaiting grey:

Rear suspension construction underway. Rear Diff/axle temporary held in place with a C-Clamp. I wasn't too pleased with the assembly of the suspension parts, especially on the driver's side. A little more persuasion was required than I was really comfortable with on the leaf spring bolt. I attribute this to a bent spring bracket. Also, my grease gun kept ripping the heads off the provided zerk fittings, and some of the zerk fittings did not fit well into their threaded holes. I'll have to investigate this later, perhaps with some higher quality industrial supplied fittings.

End of one night's work.

Next day started with installing the 11" brake backing plates off of a CJ5. These are the brakes that came with the Jeep. I am undecided if I want to go through the hassle of upgrading to a dual master cylinder. As a daily driver on some high speed highways, I think I may want the added security.

Final project of the day was to install the hubs. I used Timken bearings and Lucas Oil Red and Tacky grease to pack them with. I learned that it is important to put the bearing in first, and then the oil seal on the back side bearing. D'oh! I then installed the washers and nuts as per MetalShaper's youtube video; tighten inner nut to 50 ft-lb, back off one flat, place lock washer on, and tighten outer nut to 50 ft-lb. I left the lock washer unbent until I get tires on and can get a good feel for the bearings.

Hopefully by the end of this week I'll have the rear brakes installed and tires mounted. I'd like to also get the front differential installed and hung. Work is going to be fragmented for awhile, as I am heading to British Columbia this week, and to the UK for some 40's events in a few weeks.

Thinking that before the frame receives the engine and tranny, I'll roll it outside, put it on stands and remove the tires, and spray down the frame in a final coat of gray to paint all the misc. hardware and cover up any scuffs, thin spots, and what not.

The paint is International Paint Co. Haze Grey, which is the same paint used on Naval Vessels, so it should be a good match in finish and colour for a Navy ship, albeit modern. This is what is used on the WW2 ships I volunteer on, so it will be a good match for some future photo shoots.

Edited by northcoastsailor - 05 Sep. 2019 at 6:38pm
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2019 at 6:02pm
GREAT PROGRESS!  keep posting and include lots of picks pleaseSmile
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2019 at 6:39pm
Thanks. Hope to get it rolling by the middle of the month.

Pictures now included in previous post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2019 at 12:47am
Back from Beautiful British Columbia; another day of work complete. Must admit, half the day was spent running around getting parts for my tires and misc. hardware.

I got the new Deestone D502 tires mounted, the front axle and springs mounted up, and 2 of the rear tires mounted.

11" Brakes on the rear all set up. Next up, I need to determine if the original drums the jeep came with are salvageable, and get them wire wheeled, primed, and painted. Eventually I'll get the brake lines installed, as soon as my supplier gets them back in stock. I'd like to get the lines installed before I start putting the engine and transmission in so as to not have to work in restricted confines.

New tires mounted on the jeep. I was made aware by my dad that the tread is backwards on the right wheel. Guess I'll have to take 2 back in to get flipped.

I like this tread pattern. Vintage looking, but hopefully giving me the traction I'm looking for on wintry roads. We'll see how well the Deestones hold up with regular use.

Frame is coming together. Front springs installed and the front axle has been clamped in place. I need to order 3 more U-Bolts to complete the mounting.

My front spring mounts. This looks a bit odd. Also, these must have been NOS, because the rubber seals were pretty brittle. I might need to look into sourcing some new grease seals.

Next week's job is to start working on getting the steering knuckles put together, as well as priming various parts including the brake drums, shocks, and axle shafts. By the time I leave for England on the 18th, I hope to have the Jeep sitting on all 4 tires.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2019 at 1:31am
Originally posted by northcoastsailor northcoastsailor wrote:

.... New tires mounted on the jeep. I was made aware by my dad that the tread is backwards on the right wheel. Guess I'll have to take 2 back in to get flipped....

I'm no expert, but I think the right tire (the one farthest away in this pic) is correct, and it's the left one that's backward.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2019 at 1:33am
Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

I'm no expert, but I think the right tire (the one farthest away in this pic) is correct, and it's the left one that's backward.

Yeah, I had meant the viewer's right. Oops.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12