Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

45 Years and Counting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 45 Years and Counting
    Posted: 20 Apr. 2021 at 10:19pm
I have posted on this forum countless times over the last few months, and have learned so much, from so many people.  I am humbled by the altruistic help that has enabled me to get where I am with my Jeep.

My dad bought this 1946 CJ2A 45 years ago.  He built custom homes and used it to drive between job sites in the Minnesota Summers.  It later moved to their cabin in northern Minnesota.  This is where I, as a stupid 17 year old, took over and proceeded to drive it down every logging trail, and through every mud hole I could find.  It definitely lived a hard live in the years it should have been relaxing - having paid it's dues over and over.

Eventually it ended up in my dad's back yard, under a tarp for 25 years.  Two years ago he was diagnosed with a degenerative lung condition that will absolutely shorten his life.  He is 78 now and has been told he may not see 80.  So I decided to restore this Jeep, with my dad, as out last ride.

The biggest challenge for me was the transmission and transfer case - which I ended up rebuilding on my own (with help from this group and Rick Stivers).  Other than an occasional drop of oil - all seems well.  I had the engine professionally rebuilt by a very reputable shop that does at leas one of these L134's a week.  And I must say - it fired up and purred like a kitten for the first time in 25 years without a hitch.  That familiar flathead pitter-patter sent me back to my childhood immediately.  The days my dad and I spent in that Jeep, in the middle of the woods with a packed lunch from my mom, came rushing back through my brain.

Here are a few pictures of my journey so far.  Sadly, the body was not savable (with my skills at least), so I am waiting for a new tub from Peter Debella from SGI.  I will drive fit it, tweak it, and have it painted the color I grew up with - Normandy Blue.

I am definiately not done asking this group for help.  I have a body to fit, and a wiring harness to install.  Again, thank you to everyone here who has helped me, and will help me in the future.

Edited by jgodfrey - 20 Apr. 2021 at 10:54pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2021 at 10:33pm
Looking good Thumbs Up... I've said it numerous times before, you have something with that jeep that I simply can't buy for mine-

...a family history.

(But I'm working on it LOL )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2021 at 10:44pm
Nice work on the rolling chassis and engine compartment! Looks factory new.

Great story, and I hope your dad can get a ride in it soon. You are doing a great job restoring a family heirloom.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2021 at 12:49am
very admirable work, sir. you should further expect a great deal of interest in your feedback on the SGI body. please keep us informed and provide photo footage. i get the feeling there are many that are interested but may be hesitant to dive in until some informed and experienced critiques are available.

all the best.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2021 at 12:53am
Like MB said - what you have is priceless - that family tie to a special Jeep. 

Nice work so far and best of luck on future progress! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2021 at 1:53am
You are doing phenomenal job on restoring the jeep.  I especially love the before and after body off frame pics.  The family history truly makes it "priceless"!  Hoping to see some pics of you and your Dad in it. Thanks for sharing!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2021 at 1:22pm
Looking good.  Very interested on your SGI body kit feedback. 
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2021 at 1:41pm
Thanks for posting! Hope your Dad has a chance to enjoy it and some joy knowing your family has this heirloom. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
Dogsbody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogsbody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2021 at 12:48pm
That is a nice story, Thanks for posting. I hope your dad be is doing ok.
I shared with my 9 year old son your father & son project. Garage time is special no matter your age.

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply