Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'46 # 41105

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '46 # 41105
    Posted: 04 Oct. 2019 at 3:27am
Finally got to do something. Took off the windshield, and attempted the fenders. So many holes (who knows how many more behind those canvas rails...) and cracks that need to be taken care of, glass weather seals and wiper motors to be replaced, and new rear view mirror.

Fallguy173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2019 at 2:55am
Took off the fenders today. Only broke 4 bolts...Unhappy More of the same. Extra holes, and cracks everywhere. I got to see where it looks like a patch on the frame horn behind the shock. I also found the ultimate Bubba repair/upgrade, that I didn't realize truly, until today. The secondary horn from the manifold. Shocked
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2019 at 4:48am
May the force be with you.  Me too! Clap
Teddie
CJ2A '47

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2020 at 8:46pm
I finally had some semi-warm days to work. It got up to 40! I got the transmission and transfer case out. Transfer case looks mostly ok, so should just need a rebuild kit for that. Transmission had a lot of issues with the shift cane drawing in water for 20 years. When I first looked in, I could not even see the cluster gear. Everything must go! Oh well. Better to know what you got, and not have to chase down problem after problem. On the plus side, it will almost double the value of her. After removing the trans-set, I could turn the engine by hand, so I'm now cautiously optimistic for that. 
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2020 at 3:41am
   Good luck on the transmission search. Many of the early willys are plagued with having a transmission full of decades of rain water in them.

Same with some old tractors, and the gearbox fills with water over time.
Amazing how the trans fluid level remains up.   hahahaha
   Keep your eye on Ewillys "transmissions" for one.

Hey, it is encouraging that the engine turns over !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2020 at 4:10pm
The box itself is usable. The gears are history, though. The tooth at BDC of the cluster gear was maybe 80%.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 11:09pm
Trans set back in and everything turns nicely. I rebuilt the carb and cleaned out the air cleaner, because of mouse nests...  Flushed out the radiator and block, because they were a little nasty. I was happy to see anti-freeze, though. The drains were a being a little difficult, so I had to add a little heat. Melted some solder, but got the drain out.  I'll fix that later.  I had to get a new gas tank, as the original was garbage. first one sent to me was dented, so I got a second one. They don't want the first one back. Does anybody need one? Next is new oil in the engine and trans set... Woo! Getting closer!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 11:20pm
  I do need a gas tank. Could you post or PM me a picture of the damage, and what you want for it? Thanks.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2020 at 12:28am
PM Sent.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2020 at 3:26am
Ok so I'm trying to disassemble the fuel pump, and I am noticing many things secured with the metal being dented. Are these pumps that were not meant to be re-built? Are there any disassembly instructions out there? I've done a search, but only found assembly portion. Am I better off just getting a new pump?
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2020 at 3:33am
I just ran into this same issue this week. If there is a little metal plate holding in the two check valves, it can be easily rebuilt. If there isn't, do yourself a favor and buy a fuel pump. 

If there's no metal plate holding in the two check valves, it means that the pump was built with the two check valves pressed in place and held there by the metal being pressed in to hold them. This means you would have to dremel them out and put new ones in, then press the metal in to hold the new ones in using a punch and a hammer, from what I understand. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2020 at 4:29am
Well crud! That's what I was afraid of. Ouch Off to the parts store...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2020 at 4:19am
Soooo, new fuel pump, new master cyl., new oil filter lines are in. I changed the oil, and didn't see water, so that's good. I got new driveshaft u-joints and an e-brake kit and tried to install those, but messed that up. I was even using the correct tool.LOL Hopefully I can get those finished up next weekend, and get oil back in the trans/TC. I put the fenders, hood, and windshield back on, because winter is coming, and it's not my shop. Cry

I did drain and flush the radiator and block, added new drains, and upper and lower lines. I blew all the water out and let dry in the warm air before installing thermostat. I have not put any liquid back in yet. It shouldn't hurt to wait until summer, or until I can get it running to circulate, right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2021 at 6:59pm
Edited. Found info requested.

Edited by Fallguy173 - 05 Apr. 2021 at 12:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply