Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'46 Air cleaner tube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '46 Air cleaner tube
    Posted: 01 Nov. 2012 at 9:24pm
I'm beginning the head removal for the #4 cyl being seized, rusty. What is the original air cleaner tube made from? My barn find tube is made from a flat piece of canvas,? rolled into a tube and held together with split rivets. Wouldn't it be a rubber tube? Dissecting this time capsule 2A is very interesting.It has the Donaldson type oil bath air cleaner.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Leroys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2012 at 9:59pm
Nice, mine was made from an Old milwakee and pepsi can that were riveted then taped together.  It should be a corrugated looking rubber tube.  The link below shows what it should look like.  This is the one i ordered for mine just today.  http://walcks4wd.com/catalog/product/view/id/1069/s/hose-flexible-air-cleaner-mb-g/
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/air-filter-hose_topic7068.html
46 Willys CJ2A that finally stopped going backwards in progress and is moving forward.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2012 at 11:32pm
yeah right after I posted this I surfed and found a replacement at Walcks and laughed at myself for being so stupid thinking it would have been made of canvas or leather- the jeep gremlins slapped me and woke me up from my dream.

Leroys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2012 at 3:23am
I guess thats all bubba had to keep it going. it happens.  I couldn't tell you how many duh moments Ive had taking the 46 apart and putting it back together.
46 Willys CJ2A that finally stopped going backwards in progress and is moving forward.

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2012 at 6:36am
Just watch that the replacement hose they are supplying isn't just cut off a big roll, if you look closely at the photo on the link you have you can see wire sticking out the end of it.

They don't look right and I am sure they would not seal very well.

I brought some from Kaiser I think and its rubbish, it appear that a lot of suppliers sell it all from the same bulk roll!.  I imagine the original hose would have been ribbed in the middle and a smooth parallel bore on the ends......does anyone know where you can get a decent molded one. 

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Leroys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2012 at 6:42am
Thanks for the heads up on the quality. I guess I'll hold off on ordering it. I always imagined something like the cj3b-5 type tube with the flat ends. But I want to be mostly correct on my restoration. No point cutting the easy corners.

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2012 at 6:59am
Leroy, let me know if you find any good ones,   I might try the WW2 guys and see if they have a good rubbery type....

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
Vince View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2012 at 8:07am
I've used these vendors before, they have some good NOS items and their service is good:

If you don't want to buy parts from Turkey though, at least it gives you an idea what the part should actually look like... LOL
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2012 at 9:20am
Thanks for the link

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2012 at 9:29am
I think this one is for a later model, are the dimensions they same????as my engine is out I can't really mock it all up to check for the correct hose length......does anyone have an original one that they can measure up and post the sizes????

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
Vince View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2012 at 10:36am
Oops. You are of course correct Adrian, this is for a different model - confirmed by measuring my tube  (which was 15cm by 5.5cm, so shorter than this one and with less width). So long since I did mine that I can't really remember, apologies for introducing some confusion.

The one thing I would say though about the tube (and mine looks very similar to the Walcks one, but heavier duty) is that the two wire clamps that were originally used to secure it with were designed to clamp down either side of the corrugations on the tube, thus achieving a reasonable seal.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2012 at 6:02pm
OK, I would go with that, the same style but heavier.......still trying to find it though
1973 Saab 96
Leroys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2012 at 6:58pm
Yeah, walcks has the same one but after looking at the dimensions it wont fit.

The search continues.  Maybe Low or someone can point us in the right direction.

Leroys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2012 at 7:11pm
I think we're in luck:

Looks nice, but its pretty pricey. I'll keep this in my back pocket incase i dont find something else.

Leroys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2012 at 7:18pm
This one looks to be of good quality as well.  No experience doing business with them though.  https://www.armyjeepparts.net/p-282-air-cleaner-flexible-hose-breather.aspx

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2012 at 7:27pm
Ok, I have a cunning plan, you buy it and then tell me if its any good......ha ha.

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2012 at 11:32pm
Walck's listing for early Willys

looks to be standard industrial ducting hose, all rubber with helix wire. 

I think a more correct one would be
This is a neoprene coated polyester fabric hose.  Like defroster duct in the old cars.  Depending on the inside diameter required, it should be readily available from a good hose house.

On both styles listed here, there is a technique where the helix wire can be removed for a couple of inches on the ends to facilitate a smooth cuff allowing clamp to seal.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2012 at 7:16pm
Bruce, thanks for that, It appears that the hose I have is to the style that everyone of offering then, but the original may have been a bit heavier....the one I received from Kaiser I think is just a section of a much larger roll of pipe and its been sitting on the shelf for the last 18 month while I tried to find something better.

I had presumed the original was a molded piece, perhaps not.         I'd still like to see a photo of an original one if someone has one

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>