Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 25>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

excellent...must feel good!!

You would know LOL Wink... it was chilly late yesterday, we bombed around about a half hour, me in my short sleeve tee shirt.  I had no clue how cold I actually was 'til well after we got back Tongue.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 4:36pm
im excited on the first ride when i realize the sound of metal bouncing down the road behind me is a wrench or ratchet i left on the frame rail or somewhere, and not a PART of the Jeep Smile
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

im excited on the first ride when i realize the sound of metal bouncing down the road behind me is a wrench or ratchet i left on the frame rail or somewhere, and not a PART of the Jeep Smile

It's amazing how totally immersed and focused on every noise, smell and vibration a first road ride is LOL

(and on several occasions I've driven around for months while simultaneously not being able to find a socket in my garage, only to serendipitously find it right on the nut or bolt I left it on Embarrassed )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 5:01pm
I have an issue obsessing with noises,  this is a problem when hopping out of the CJ7, which rides like a caddy compared to the 3B, even the 3A.

Im starting to come to terms with the fact that its "just the flatty sound" 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 1:21pm
O.k., so not so much "project", but I'm not actually "done", lol...so this makes good filler cuz it IS incomplete work Tongue

The fallout from the NH trail ride:
Phase one was just hosing off the "big" stuff... no lie, this was up in there somewhere
up at 4:30 this morning, needed something quiet to do... phase two:
so basically clean enough to start cleaning.  Phase three to follow, but more integrated into my next efforts.  With some miles on my valve laps I'm going to readjust the valves, retime and retune, so as I'm "in" to various areas parts I'll fine clean.  My OCD will probably spritz a half can of engine shine on there meantime, hafta see how the day goes.  At some point the grill and radiator will be coming off for a proper cleaning, but for now... we ride Cool

Edited by mbullism - 30 June 2018 at 1:24pm
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 6:28pm
"...but for now... we ride ..."

Mike, that is the whole point of wrenching on one for months on end! Glad you finally found out what "jeep play" is...

Not saying that the wrenching on a jeep will ever stop, but a fella ought to be able to stop wrenching long enough the enjoy the fruits of his labor on road, and especially OFF road.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 12:33am
That IS the whole point Cool
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:14am

so I took this video, then knocked the idle down a couple 100 rpm... running decent, no choke.

Went to sort out a heart attack I had earlier in the week.  Came out to the garage to find about a half quart of motor oil on the floor, right around where the bell housing is Confused

Turns out it was my air cleaner was leaking... no surprise, the pan had a previous repair in in when i painted it.  So I dropped the bottom pan expecting to find it almost empty, quite the surprise to find it full and overflowing Shocked  Seems my little swim in NH was deeper than I thought LOL... cleaned out the yellow pudding and properly refilled.  Now I'm back to running on 1/8-1/4 choke (to replace what the overfilled air cleaner was doing "for" me

Edited by mbullism - 10 July 2018 at 8:56pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 12:26pm
Man, where did the last month go?... the 2a has been lonely, work has been insanity defined...firewood, family (got volunteered to make pulled pork for a family reunion Confused), working on "the fleet"... life being life.

Picked up these rims awhile back, just got the NDTs off.  No visible markings inside, they're solid but rusty.  Off to be sandblasted today, hopefully in paint this weekend.  The top middle one needs a little hammer work, but I'll hang the spare on it.  

The primed one is an extra I threw in to make five, the fifth NDT is hanging off the 2a, lol.  The oddball spare that was on there got broken down and the rim set aside.

So, all that to set up paint pics to follow (Allis Chalmers orange), and to note the "new" rims have no marks (repop?)  There oughtta be a wheel assoc or DOT stamp, no?  The primed throw in has both the KH stamp and wheel assoc stamp, the rim off the original spare has only the KH stamp (which leads me to believe it's earlier and possibly original

Edited by mbullism - 07 Aug. 2018 at 12:29pm
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 1:35pm
Hey MB, any thoughts on pin striping the wheels?
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Definitely going to, and likely will fall back on the paint pen and five gallon bucket trick.  These rims will end up being my trail rims, so I can experiment a bit.  I'm trying to mimic the normandy with sunset red/harvest yellow look, and I understand the pinstripes can be black or normandy (aka, whatever blue I can find that comes close to whatever blue I have now, lol)

I want to get this set of NDTs on painted striped rims, then basically do the same thing to the original(?) wheels for a "dress" set Embarrassed
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Definitely going to, and likely will fall back on the paint pen and five gallon bucket trick.  These rims will end up being my trail rims, so I can experiment a bit.  I'm trying to mimic the normandy with sunset red/harvest yellow look, and I understand the pinstripes can be black or normandy (aka, whatever blue I can find that comes close to whatever blue I have now, lol)

I want to get this set of NDTs on painted striped rims, then basically do the same thing to the original(?) wheels for a "dress" set Embarrassed

Ahhh, paint pen and five gallon bucket!! I thought you might have a neat little trick up your sleeve Wink I have a beugler striping tool and I have been thinking how to make the circle... I was thinking some type of string set up from the center? I will be doing some experimenting myself, same colors Smile

http://www.beugler.com/
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 2:36pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2018 at 4:07am
Did some low key jewelry hanging today Smile

Going to live with the odg bracket for a bit, it may go black down the road... that bright hardware is definitely leaving in favor of brass, though Embarrassed
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2018 at 4:42am
MB, that is some good looking "bling"! Totally concur on brass hardware! On my 47A2 restoration I used all brass hardware on my footman loops.  Between the red body paint and the black loops the brass makes everything pop.  I also use brass screws and nuts on all my harness and fuel line clips ... brass does not rust and I noticed it was used on my 43 halftrack in similar locations.  Makes taking anything apart down the road that much easier.  Even all the cooling system pipes on the Queen are made of brass.
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2018 at 10:54am
Very cool! 

MB - can you shoot a photo or two of the windshield vacuum tube? I'm doing mine and want to see how it lays out.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Very cool! 

MB - can you shoot a photo or two of the windshield vacuum tube? I'm doing mine and want to see how it lays out.

Here ya go... actually a good exercise cuz I never thought much about it or really looked... one of my PO's has replaced the screws, and the bottom most clip is loose.  Gotta get after that.  The tube has obviously been off several times... it's black, and the jeep has been blue/red/yellow/blue-

my tube cuts the top left corner off pretty hard, but feels like it's original, fwiw...(ignore the philips headed screws LOL )

Edited by mbullism - 27 Aug. 2018 at 12:03pm
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2018 at 11:54am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Did some low key jewelry hanging today Smile

Going to live with the odg bracket for a bit, it may go black down the road... that bright hardware is definitely leaving in favor of brass, though Embarrassed

I've got one of those too, and have thought about mounting it.  I wonder if there is a way to refill it with something to make it actually useful.  I havn't looked into it, but I imagine someone has done it.  I need to do some googling....
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 25>