Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2020 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Smile  At FCT, Fred Coldwell and I had a discussion (light-hearted) about which way the bows should lie when stored on the windshield - should they “smile” or should they “frown”?  Fred said that old pictures showed them both ways, and we agreed that we both like to see the jeep smile. Smile Someone walking by stopped and listened a bit, then said, “If you put them on with the ends down, they won’t fill with water or dust” and walked on. Embarrassed Good point. Clap  BW 

I actually didn't give it near that much thought, lol...  It just seemed that given their center of gravity the natural propensity would be for them to end up ends down at every bump... so I started there, lol.  Given that they are supported towards the ends rather than the middle I kinda feel I may not have thought about it enough LOL  I like the "no water" approach too Smile

Edited by mbullism - 09 Mar. 2020 at 11:33pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2020 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

... My friend said the bore looked like the inside of a New York Garbage can (exactly what that is you got me but it sounded bad LOL) 

I took that to mean way oversized with smooth corrugations instead of sharp edged rifling Shocked...  Good on your buddy and the bore scope, it makes perfect sense in the firearms world where accuracy is king.  I think it would carry over to the Willys parts world if I had to have a guarantee that a winch would pull the rated capacity without imploding Dead... I guess I use the unknown as a bargaining chip and accept the risk somewhat.

Then there is always the honest ignorance factor... I have to allow for my winch seller using it and it pulled whatever up on his trailer... It's quite another thing to claim nickels and shoot manhole covers Shocked
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2020 at 12:23pm
And so it begins (again)...I hate cleaning greasy, and hate stripping paint, but love assembling clean painted parts LOL.  Good with the bad and all that-

No way to prove any of my KH 16x4.5 90/45 rims are original, but two of the three dates that I could find match the jeep at Oct '46.  Oddly enough the numerous coats of paint on these two wheels have revealed an original color that appears to be Harvard red with a black pinstripe...
(disclaimer:  the red on my monitor is no where near as bright as when viewed on my iphone or in person.  I just can't see these being the pumpkin orange color I anticipated from the Sunset Red so often found with normandy blue jeeps.  The Harvard red wheels were noted as associated with Princeton Black jeeps of the same year, but nothing is absolute)

So we'll chemically strip, mechanically chase the remnants and finish up with my anemic sandblaster...THEN the fun part begins LOL
Without any proof these red wheels were factory (or even dealer), the plan is to approximate the (ehem) "original" Sunset Red with ford vista orange, with a black pinstripe.  Miles to go before we get there.

Edited by mbullism - 13 Mar. 2020 at 12:27pm
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2020 at 4:31pm
Having done that this past fall it is time consuming nasty work. In between the spokes (whatever your call the openings) are a pain to strip and a pain to paint. 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2020 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by markcl52 markcl52 wrote:

... it is time consuming nasty work. ...

Ya, but the last time I looked into having someone blast them clean they wanted 25-$30 a wheel Stern Smile... and this is only phase one Wacko

I have another set of KH's, a set of motor wheels and two on my bantam Ermm
sm1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2020 at 2:00am
I always believed the orange on my 46 #16265 to be Autumn Yellow...thought 2012 Wrangler Orange Crush would look good...if I ever get around to it

sm 46 CJ-2A 16265
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2020 at 6:05am
Are you sure that the original color combo wasn't Picket Grey with Harvard Red wheels? I don't remember if you had determined that already. Our jeeps are just units apart in October '46 and mine has only the PO's (twice removed) application of an OD paint over the grey. 

Searching the data base last year or so, I haven't found another '46 in our date range painted in this combo.

This is a photo of the Omix-ADA 2A in Picket Grey/Harvard Red and it's pretty nice. I'm not sure of the accuracy of the red, but I like the grey as close.

Tim
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2020 at 10:54am
I've not found a reference to Picket as a '46 color...again, never say never Tongue

My take on my 2A is that it was normandy, red, yellow and then the current blue which is pretty close.  It can be difficult to distinguish the original blue from the current when looking in the usual spots, but I've scratched through the layers to bare metal and found them in that order.  I honestly think the last  refurb was a frame off with an attempt to recall the original blue... this pic is reportedly 69750 after the yellow, before the current blue... the wheels freshly painted their current white
ETA:  my only real clues that this in fact IS my jeep are the locking hubs (for which I have the original box) the left rear tire is a dead ringer for the spare that was on it when I got it sitting on NDTs...and the white wheels.  even zoomed in I haven't (yet) found another detail to key in on..."yet" Wink

Edited by mbullism - 14 Mar. 2020 at 3:34pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2020 at 3:22pm
Step two.... "check" Smile  It really doesn't take too long, so long as you have forever LOL
...and the dust mask wouldn't be so oppressive, unless you were in the downstairs workshop...
...next to the wood stove Wacko
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2020 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by sm1986 sm1986 wrote:

I always believed the orange on my 46 #16265 to be Autumn Yellow...

If my monitor is having the same effect on your pic, that's a ton more orange than I'm seeing in my red Tongue

I've always thought sunset red was a muted pumpkin orange, and autumn yellow was a burnt yellow approaching dirty orange, the same as burnt orange is to orange...lol, if that makes ANY sense to anyone but me LOL
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2020 at 4:34pm
Here is the link to my original post on my findings.

I have viewed all the links you reference here before and have 3 different color chip boards for reference. It has been discussed here before that Willys may have started with some of the '47 model options in late '46. I present the proof above. 

You can't really tell in the photo (Due to the subdued lighting) of the rear of the trailer socket cover, but it's a dead on match to the chip board I'm holding, dead on. Once again, #69376 has only had two coats of paint since new; Picket Grey and OD.

The lighter shade on the fire wall and other original areas had puzzled me for a long time until I saw a survivor '47 in Picket Grey and it had lightened to the same hue. Exposure to the elements obviously lightened it.

Tim
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2020 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by timcj2a timcj2a wrote:

Here is the link to my original post on my findings.

Thanks for the refresh, T... I do recall making my post in that thread.  Like I said, never say never.  

In your case, however, the Picket/Harvard combo is a documented color combo.  The fact that you found it backed up into late '46 isn't a sticking point for me so much, it's my apparent mongrel Normandy/Harvard that gives me a little gas.  I already know the harvard red wheels were probably a thing in '46 as I've found them "documented"(?) (again, never say never) for '46s in Princeton black.

If I had any other support that these two wheels weren't scavenged off a '46 in black (or picket, lol) 20 years after mine rolled off the line I might even consider returning them to harvard red... but I posted the question and got largely crickets.  Mine obviously are stamped 10/46, but for all I know they were meant for your jeep Wink

Basically, I don't want to force an oddball without more proof than I have-

Mike
sm1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2020 at 5:44pm
here's a little more reference

sm 46 CJ-2A 16265
sm1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2020 at 5:47pm
note the picket gray and Luzon red chips
sm 46 CJ-2A 16265
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2020 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by sm1986 sm1986 wrote:

note the picket gray and Luzon red chips

You know I love you guys, right? LOL (I believe you, lol... there is no substitution for seeing it in person.  The vagaries of any camera then uploaded to LCD is too much to make a call between two shades of yellowy orange)  The reason I haven't cited that particular chip chart is it includes 47 colors, Tim's being an exception to the rule.  You can't say "never" when it's staring you in the face Embarrassed

Could my 2A have come from the line sporting harvard red wheels?  Of course.  Do I have enough to go on to say it's one of one?  I'm a long way off there is all I'm saying.  My choice of ford vista orange isn't by any testing I've done, it's just I've seen that come up multiple places as a decent approximation for sunset red, and that's an accepted color wheel for normandy.  I can't prove the red wheels are correct as much as I can't prove the ford orange is "wrong".

FWIW, if you guys have Fred Coldwell's "Selling the American Wonder", pages 78 and 79 are an ad from the saturday evening post, July 27,1946.  In it appears a Princeton Black 2A with decidedly (harvard) red wheels (allowing for artistic license in that it's not a photo, more likely a watercolor).  Of more note though, is that in the commentary for this ad Fred notes that the colors available expanded at SN 38222 to include amongst others normandy, picket, luzon and harvard.  I've found Fred's documentation to be quite detailed, and not so when necessary...meaning I can't believe he would cite such a definite SN for the change without something of substance to go by.

But I digress.  Somebody in my jeeps past saw fit to approximate the normandy...seems only fitting I approximate the sunset without proof these red wheels are somehow original.  Hell, it didn't come to me with the original engine, more than likely without the original seats and the acm on the tailgate and tub are off by two.  Doesn't make it wrong, just can't prove it's right Tongue

Edited by mbullism - 14 Mar. 2020 at 7:12pm
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2020 at 7:19pm
Mike,

In my original post I was offering up the possibility of another combo because I couldn't remember if you had already determined original color. But, like all things related to our jeeps it's our independent vision for what we want that should be the ultimate motivation.

I like the Normandy/Sunset combo very much. I can't wait to see the wheels done up and on the 2A.

Tim
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2020 at 7:19pm
FWIW, a chucked up bore brush makes decent work of the lions share of cleaning the slots... still some more to do though.
So all done this pass, front/back/ around the middle.  It was decided (for me, lol) to metal prep at this stage to ward off surface rusting while the rest of the wheels catch up.  I have some cosmetic repairs to make prior to blasting and final cleaning.  I'm going to catch the rest up, it's just too cold in the garage to use stripper effectively, and too hot in the basement to use stripper effectively, lol.  If only there was a spot I could blow hot air on this to make sure it was thoroughly dry...
LOL
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2020 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by timcj2a timcj2a wrote:

Mike,

In my original post I was offering up the possibility of another combo because I couldn't remember if you had already determined original color. But, like all things related to our jeeps it's our independent vision for what we want that should be the ultimate motivation.

I like the Normandy/Sunset combo very much. I can't wait to see the wheels done up and on the 2A.

Tim

Oh, I know, and it's appreciated...a piece of me wants someone to say there were 25 normandy with harvard red wheel jeeps special ordered by a florist in DeMoine for deliveries, lol

ETA:  see, in my head I'm reading Tim's is really close to mine, and it has harvard red wheels...and I subconsciously go off on a tangent and think "my acm's are off by two, the most plausible reason is that Willys painted 10/15/20/whatever acm bodies at a time, one color...and while putting tailgates with tubs to hit the line sometimes they got swapped"...then I think, well, they didn't paint 4 or 5 wheels at a time, then switch colors for the next jeep...then I'm thinking princeton black and picket jeeps were coming off the line the same time as mine, why couldn't mine have been the first of a run of normandy right after a run of ten picket?  Is there a picket gray willys running around with sunset red wheels?... and how would I prove it?...im having several conversations with myself at the same time...the willys voices in my head Tongue

Edited by mbullism - 14 Mar. 2020 at 8:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>