Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 25>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2021 at 9:26am

Well...It's time.  Actually it's been time for a while  Smile My seats are not 2A seats...time to get them on to their new forever home LOL  (and get some 2A correct stuff in there, even if repop.)  

Been heading towards barcelona red to go with the faux normandy blue for a while, scored some rear seat springs in Ohio at the reunion so I now have all the required bits... but I'm getting ahead of myself  

The seats coming out are two rib / 3 panel backs out of a cj2.  

They belong in a cj2.  Simple.  Since finding someone WITH a cj2 is a whole lot easier than finding a cj2 for myself, they're moving on.  I had hopes of finding original springs to use in my "new" seats, but what I found was too cool in a flatty geekout sorta way.

I knew the black vinyl covers were later, what I didn’t know was that whomever recovered them simply put a one inch foam pad over what appears to be the original gray canvas…it was like an archeological dig. 

A quick comparison of one of the backs on the walcks repop springs

Anyway, thought it was a cool find, moving on 

Edited by mbullism - 19 July 2021 at 6:27am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2021 at 9:08am
SO which color you gonna go with? I am thrilled that you got those frames off to their proper home. Wasn't grey the color of seat covers for the Normandy Blue? The seat covers on my orange jeep at the reunion were the Walcks selection of grey. I have Walcks Barcelona red for a Picket Grey CJ2a I'm working on. As I stare at them mounted on the seats I wonder if they may be a bit bold for the Normandy Blue. I could send you the rear seat covers in Barcelona red since they weren't put on yet....you could then eye ball them yourself. Return them at Jeeps in January or the next reunion...I'm not in a hurry.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2021 at 9:29am
OK....I’m wrong. It actually looks pretty good. Ignore me.
You have what color wheels? I don’t remember. Harvard red and the red seats work, the orange wheels make the grey work better.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2021 at 1:40pm
Ya, I was happy to move the other seats to where they belong.  They weren't right for mine, and the only thing they added was a story... I still have that Thumbs Up

It's my understanding that in late october '46 the two seat colors available were OD and barcelona red, and the normandy would have come with sunset red or autumn yellow wheels, both basically pumkin orange-
I don't know what to make of the gray I found.  I guess it could be beat on 75yo OD, just calling it like I see it.  I believe gray was available with the normandy, but later than 69750
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 6:41am
The old seats out, time to turn to the new to me seats going in.  A little fun test fitting, this should ("should") be easy peasey
These are original 2A frames in really decent shape, just some cosmetic stuff to attend to.  They had been sand blasted, primed and painted to arrest further rusting, some small holes have been drilled in the tubing presumably to get water out...there is some pin hole rust through in the drivers back, and a little crinkling of the back pan.  Structurally sound they could be used as is, but a little attention is in order Smile

The pin hole rust comes with the requisite areas of thin metal surrounding the hole itself.  The thought of welding them closed was.... quickly discarded, lol.  I know my limitations LOL.  An attempt to weld all these up was going to end in buying new sheet metal, lol.  Viable options that came to mind were that low temp brazing type rod, or the cream style JB weld used as a filler.  The low heat was going to affect more of the paint than necessary, so we fill.  The repairs will not be seen from the spring/cover front side, so locally down to bare metal-
backed from the "face side"
and "gooped"
A little smoothing in, high build primer and a full sand scuff and repaint and this'll work for the forseeable future.  Have to get the new to me short back rear seat frame tweeked to fit, and caught up. 

Edited by mbullism - 08 July 2021 at 9:09am
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 8:43am
The patina matches the Jeep. Seamless transition.😀
eat,sleep,jeep

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 11:00am
If there is EVER a chance of needing to weld your seat frames to repair holes, do not braze them. Way back in the early days of my association with Ol' Red I discovered that the PO had brazed the center seam of the hood in several places as well as part of the hood hinge. I ended up buying another jeep just for the hood and then selling it with the brazed hood for what I had in it. Well, that isn't exactly what happened; I also got a really fine pair of seat frames also. I had purchased Ol' Red with seats that were a pair of really worn out VW bucket seats.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

If there is EVER a chance of needing to weld your seat frames to repair holes, do not braze them. Way back in the early days of my association with Ol' Red I discovered that the PO had brazed the center seam of the hood in several places as well as part of the hood hinge. I ended up buying another jeep just for the hood and then selling it with the brazed hood for what I had in it. Well, that isn't exactly what happened; I also got a really fine pair of seat frames also. I had purchased Ol' Red with seats that were a pair of really worn out VW bucket seats.

FWIW, the stuff I was thinking about isn't really brazing, per say.  It melts with a propane torch...must be some kind of solderish type alloy.  That said, I had a ton of brass in a cj5 I once had (my options at the time were stick welding or brazing...)  the brass never gave me any troubles.

Guess I'm wondering what issues you had with brass in the hood?

M
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 1:19pm
The brazing interferes with the welding that needed to be done on the hood. The quality of the brazing was not good and I couldn't get it cleaned up enough for it not to contaminate the welding that needed done on the hinge area. Even when I tried to braze the center seam of the hood it would break out on the leading edge. I'm glad I managed to find another hood. It served well for years until I ultimately bought a MD Juan repop body kit.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 6:20pm
Gotcha... I never had to revisit anything brazed with the welder.  I can see where it would be a popping mess, though.  I think the JB will serve just fine here.  I literally was considering replacing the whole pan instead of welding the thin spots.  I had to weld some pin holes in the bucket on my tractor when I bought it, much heavier steel to start... I'll bet I put two spools of wire in that thing chasing the pinholes back to sound metal.  Much easier to cut it out and patch I'd bet, but here with the ribs and all it wasn't worth it for the cosmetic fix I needed.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 8:39pm
I've done the very same repair (in the same spot) the JB Weld works well.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2021 at 9:10am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I've done the very same repair (in the same spot) the JB Weld works well.

Appreciate the feedback Thumbs Up
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2021 at 6:30am
I won't bore ya'll with the sanding and filling and sanding and... but this is gonna be just fine Thumbs Up
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 5:59am
Looks great. 

I have become fond of PC-7 epoxy. I've used it a lot with both projects and it hold up well and can be easily painted over. JB is just as good. Just throwing out a second option out there. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 4:46pm
So even a little progress is progress.  Seats on the cheap...sort of LOL.  Quick trip to Ocean State Job Lot (local discount store).  One package of 3/8in "anti-fatigue" floor mats, one 1/8" yoga mat, one 4ft x15ft canvas drop cloth...
double layer of 8oz canvas over the springs and hog ringed down, the anti fatigue mat, yoga mat and a top single canvas sheet-
Couple little puckers here and there, but pretty happy with it for a first attempt Thumbs Up

(I plan on adding a couple runs in the paint later to even everything out Wink )

Edited by mbullism - 19 July 2021 at 11:54am
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2021 at 7:51am
Those look great! The color choice is spot on!
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2021 at 1:39pm
So decent progress this morning... somehow I got all four cushions done without installing a cover inside out LOL  I may even be able to go for a ride next weekend... if it ever fg stops raining Wacko
On to the rear seat -
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2021 at 3:06pm
Nice job
Mike in AZ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 25>