Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 25>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2019 at 1:50pm
A little bit of catch up this morning... it rarely occurs to me to take pics while in the middle of drudgery cleaning decades old grease and stripping paint Confused

The winch is one seal and one shaft key away from "go time", hand cutting gaskets aside
Took the best of both heaters, this front shell needed the least work
Both cores are off to "the guy" for patching or recoring.

Got this T90 shifter spiffed up... the shifter currently in my 2a is original to 69750 and the rebuild trans on the bench, so in order to rebuild the original shift I needed something to fill the hole.  "Parallel restoration" LOL
Still hoping to get a set of axles refurbed in order to swap the originals out for attention.  Boy that warm weather is coming fast, though.  Full disclosure, I really didn't get anything done yesterday... well, except maybe some scope creep...good scope creep Thumbs Up
Four hours out, about an hour on the ground, four hours back.  T3-C #15849... killing me not to dive in, lol, but I see wiring and using it as is this summer and tearing into it in the fall  (gently tearing into it, lol... it's pretty solid, has most of it's goodies.)  The bed has had a steel plate installed to cover some rust through, but that's coming out shortly and the bed looks to need patches, not replacement.  Shout out to Bob for keeping the original stuff as he made it fit his needs over his tenure!

Edited by mbullism - 24 Mar. 2019 at 2:12pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2019 at 5:54pm
I have an acute case of trailer envy.....and I'm not afraid to admit it.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2019 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I have an acute case of trailer envy.....and I'm not afraid to admit it.

That's very adult of you, but mine is really no longer than yours LOL... your's is probably even longer, given the lunette Wink

Edited by mbullism - 24 Mar. 2019 at 6:45pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2019 at 12:27am
Love the new trailer MB! Can’t wait to watch your progress... going to be a sweet addition! Thumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2019 at 3:29am
Thanks, G.  It does "need", but will be kind of a boring project thread when the time comes Wink.  Couple more pics cuz I think it's a cool story, but I think it may be related to the bed condition, good or bad.  Bob was kind enough to burn me a CD with pics of how he bought it in NC, as well as pics of his disassembly.  Apparently the PPO ran hunting dogs in it
Lol, it had kind of a mad max meets prison wagon thing going on.  Depending on the details it either protected the bed or held water, though im fairly certain I can see the bed cover plate in the disassembly pic
So this is what I'm taking out
and this is the worst of what I'll have to deal with at first glance
Worst case I find too much too thin to get to weldable metal.  Then the project thread gets more interesting LOL  That bed plate is coming out sooner rather than later to get some air in there and fluid film everything.  It'll spend the summer hauling trash to the transfer station and the like.

Edited by mbullism - 25 Mar. 2019 at 3:35am
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2019 at 11:18am
How come you had a lock on the trailer tongue ? Did you know I was in the area ?Big smile
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2019 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

How come you had a lock on the trailer tongue ? Did you know I was in the area ?Big smile

Nah,I don't worry aboutchoo... unfortunately the scum around here have a bad habit of disappearing things Censored
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 4:22pm
So little progress this week, but this kinda counts...I think.  (even if all I did was wait, and pay LOL)
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2019 at 10:23pm
Another swap meet has born fruit... the Willys stuff continues to be thin generally, but I walked away happy LOL...picked up these turn signals because I love how they sit both sides of the winch on Nates jeep Ted... Yes, I'm a copy cat, and I'll take no grief for it Wink
This is close, and may be correct... I know the mount isn't. Either way, it will be a better imposter than what I'm running now 
and the find of the day Tongue
Guy knew exactly what it was, told me himself... sometimes you gotta pay what the man asks...
$5.00 Thumbs Up

only other Willys stuff was a monarch pump that did not say "jeep" for $100 we walked right on by, and a second pump that did say jeep the guy wanted $75 for...fair money, I guess, and surely if I knew it worked didn't "need"... I just wasn't in love with it enough to insult him, lol.

Edited by mbullism - 14 Apr. 2019 at 10:29pm
CBAUER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBAUER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 11:02pm
I have the same PTO needed for my winch and rear gear! Do you still have the seal and bearing numbers needed for the shaft? and if so can you post it here on your tread!
Just asking
Thanks
Cary

CBAUER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBAUER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

The reamer showed up for my reverse idler, the ORIGINAL T90 for my 69750 is "in the can" as they say. Seals, bearings and chain for the pto showed up,the large parts are cleaned, squared and threads chased.  Tomorrow some small parts to clean up, the lever to paint, and we're on to the winch...or the heater...or the front axle, or the- LOL

I also noticed that your PTO had the option of clocking the angle from the transfer case. Mine also had this option as well, I thought that someone had made the holes to modify it to work in another jeep, truck, wagon, ect.
Now I know it is factory. How cool is that.
These jeep builders thought of everything that they could stick on these little mechanical wonder vehicles.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2019 at 2:44am
Cary-  No problem Thumbs Up...I save receipts and boxes for just such an emergency LOL.  I'll post them here and shoot you a pm

Edited by mbullism - 16 Apr. 2019 at 2:47am
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2019 at 11:16am
PT1-J These are what I used, your mileage may vary Wink

Bearing, upper main unit, x2
SKF 6205-2RS1 

Note this a sealed bearing... I was on the fence as to whether to run them sealed or not.  In the end I pulled the seals on the TC side to allow oil into the unit, and the interior seal on the rear bearing to allow oil into the bearing but slow it passing to the seal.  The seal got grease behind it so it wouldn't burn up.

Bearing, lower outputshaft, x2
SKF 6304-2RS1

Another sealed bearing... I pulled the interior seals and opted to fill the case as usual to lube the chain.  The outer seals got grease as above.

On both of the above you could pull all the seals in about 10 seconds and run them old school open, or just source the open versions... I actually found the sealed ones cheaper.

Rear seal, upper unit rear, x1
National 450185

This seal rides on a collar over the splined portion of the shaft.  I opted to RTV this collar in place, similar to doing the yoke on a D18

Lower output seal, x2
CR-7440
Note Colorado Chicago Rawhide (CR) is an SKF company, FWIW

Edited by mbullism - 16 Apr. 2019 at 4:04pm
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2019 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

CR-7440
Note Colorado Rawhide (CR) is an SKF company, FWIW

Mike:

Ummm...CR originally was called Chicago Rawhide, not Colorado Rawhide.

Just so you know...

...But, you have done all persons owning a PTO model such as yours a big favor, and that is to be admired. It's owners like you that keep this forum both interesting and informative. A big thank you!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2019 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

[QUOTE=mbullism]

Ummm...CR originally was called Chicago Rawhide, not Colorado Rawhide.

Just so you know...

DOH! Embarrassed...LOL...I did know that, just a brain fart trying to finish that post too early while already thinking past an 8am dental visit for a new crown to a tax issue that had to be sorted this morning Wacko

In short, my brain was elsewhere, and I appreciate you picking up my slack LOLThumbs Up

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 1:33pm
That mirror you have is the right mirror the bracket is for a CJ3a. You got the right mirror though..
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

That mirror you have is the right mirror the bracket is for a CJ3a. You got the right mirror though..

Thanks, Dave, I appreciate the back up.  I did find a thread from 2006 where Sean and Art et. al. basically came to the same conclusion.  Your reinforcement seals it.  I'm going to put the mirror head on a repop 2A bracket and "convert" it into a 2A mirror...tickled to have it. Smile
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2019 at 7:16pm
Wow! Shocked...where did the spring go?  Jeeps in January to start, Willys reunion in Ohio, Willys Picnic in PA, Nh trail ride and lots of just plain driving and tacking on the miles... No real project work to speak of.  Been taking the trash to the transfer station in the back, just kept trying to make time to clean up a hitch and put that lazy Bantam to work.  Last weekend was hours of scut work prep and four coats of black epoxy. Fast forward to this morning, out early to try and beat the heat.  Had to cut a PO exhaust mount and re-imagine it, but pretty straight forward
slap the plate on the trailer, quickie wiring job (parts on order) and we did the bank/dump/beer store/social visit 20 mile test run...MAN does this thing track awesome Thumbs Up nowhere near as bouncy behind me as I expected.  I think the next add will be the original steps I picked up in Ohio, then time to hang the winch and get the pto in...now to make the rest of my life allow it LOL

NO more of this:

Edited by mbullism - 20 July 2019 at 7:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 25>