Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2019 at 5:33pm
Very nice sir! Nice to see the tag along hitched up all proper like. They do tow nice don't they! 
46 CJ2A rockcrawler
46 CJ2A resto-mod
51 Bantam-ish trailer
50-ish Sterling trailer
15 Grand (Mrs Nofender)
19 Hemi Ram (parts hauler)
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2019 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

They do tow nice don't they! 

I'm a little upset you trailer people didn't tell me LOL... happy to find out on my own, but if I knew this three years ago.....ErmmThumbs Up

1946 CJ2A #69750 - "Plowshare"
Bantam T3-C #15849
2016 JK unlimited (Hers)
1969 Kaiser CJ5 (sold)

Analog spoken here....
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 7:38pm
Painted mine last week. Just waiting for a day of not working on the B to get it assembled. Maybe tomorrow, now that I fixed the oil slick. I'm still trying to decide if I keep the pintle or not.. Yours came out mighty fine mister. Want to come over and show off your skills? 😁
1946 CJ2a Dauntless
1953 CJ3b F head
1970 CJ-5 Dauntless
1983 CJ-8
1983 CJ-8 parts donor
1975 CJ-6 SBC
1966 CJ-5 225 V6
1967 M-416

www.meadowseastfarm.com
East Coast Modified CJ's
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 7:13am
I've been living with a leak I could not find for a while now, slightly high idle and had to run with just a little choke.  I  sprayed around everything, and even tried propane... nothing.  The little bit of blue smoke I had was written off to valve guides.  I had to add a quart of oil a couple weeks back but thought nothing of it after all the driving I've been doing... til Saturday when I had to add another quart.

I pulled the pcv and found it "well oiled"... dripping, actually.  The valve is not being pulled closed at idle, leaving me an open "intake leak" I couldn't find by spraying, and at my slightly elevated idle rpm near high vacuum it was just sucking oil to be burned off.  This is cleaned up, but really nothing jumping out at me "wrong":

I temporarily plugged the hole in the manifold and instantly idling like a kitten down to around 500 rpm with no choke.  It's been time for a valve adjust, I'm going to strip back to the valve cover and redo everything back out.  Still a little puzzled, but thrilled to have finally found "something" Confused

Bantam T3-C #15849
2016 JK unlimited (Hers)
1969 Kaiser CJ5 (sold)

Analog spoken here....
ggordon49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 8:40am
Very Interesting MB, I'm thinking cleaning of the PVC (PCV Embarrassed) valve should be added to the maintenance routine. I would have not thought about that, well done Thumbs Up

Edited by ggordon49 - 05 Aug. 2019 at 9:42am
Ship of Theseus - As years go by wooden parts begin to rot and are replaced by new. After a century, all of the parts have been replaced. Is the "restored" ship still the same object as the original?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2019 at 8:46am
Yay!  Valve adjust day is finally here Thumbs Up (sarcasm Ermm)
I knew this would be coming fast the day I lapped the valves, and I've been putting it off... and now I know why LOL.  First order of business was to clean up some of that NH mud splatter to get the surgical area clean...ugh.
Second order of business was this coffee table puzzle getting this cover outta here, lol, but there is a way... thank goodness
no boring pics of feeler gauges and all, but it was pretty easy with the fender off, well worth the time.  Only one of eight valves required no adjustment, and several were way off.  Test drive was much "quieter" Embarrassed  

Last order of business was redoing the pcv stuff on the way back to whole...
A little time with a vac gauge, timing light and a tach and we're happily idling around 7-800rpm without the choke.  Still needs a little tweaking and dialing in, but hopefully the oil consumption is in the past.  Next step is new (clean) plugs, rechecking points and dwell, and a final vac gauge timing session... oh, and get the rest of NH in the bucket Wink
Bantam T3-C #15849
2016 JK unlimited (Hers)
1969 Kaiser CJ5 (sold)

Analog spoken here....
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2019 at 9:17am
I need to adjust my valves too. Did you remove the valve cover with the fuel pump on? I dont want to remove the exhaust or manifolds. I will remove the fender. Getting that cover off and out looks challenging. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2019 at 7:40pm
I found exactly one way to slide the the loose cover rearward far enough to then clear the exhaust and remove the cover towards the front... I did, however, have to hold my tongue just right, and squint with my left eye LOL
Bantam T3-C #15849
2016 JK unlimited (Hers)
1969 Kaiser CJ5 (sold)

Analog spoken here....
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2019 at 12:20am
So did you “fix” the PCV?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2019 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Spinnas Spinnas wrote:

So did you “fix” the PCV?

I believe so, but ultimately time will tell.   ...and by fix i mean i replaced everything from the valve cover gasket to the intake taking extra care at every interface.  it no longer acts like it has a vacuum leak and idles well without the choke, i just need to watch for future oil consumption.  i put a 50 mile spin on it yesterday afternoon and can say, if nothing else, the exhaust smells better Thumbs Up
Bantam T3-C #15849
2016 JK unlimited (Hers)
1969 Kaiser CJ5 (sold)

Analog spoken here....
Brian3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2019 at 12:06pm
Congrats on finding your trouble.Clap  About how long did your adjustment job take?
I wish people would quit hittin' me on the head. MQ
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2019 at 1:28pm
I had the front clip off for an engine swap recently, so everything that needed to come apart didn't fight me.  I also spent a decent amount of time just cleaning to be sure I wouldn't invite grit into the work.  With that in mind, +/- :

Removing the fender 20min
Removing the PCV stuff 10min 
Removing the valve cover 15min (should have been 5min, lol)
Adjusting the valves 30min
Cleaning old gaskets and resealing new 20min
Reinstall Valve cover and PCV 30min
Reinstall fender 20min

So roughly 2-1/2 hours straight through...add about an hour cleaning and a half hour after for rechecking and adjusting timing and whatnot and it was an easy four hours...which took closer to 5 or six what with stopping for lunch and misc honeydo stuff.  Started about 9am, test driving by 3pm

Bantam T3-C #15849
2016 JK unlimited (Hers)
1969 Kaiser CJ5 (sold)

Analog spoken here....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
  Share Topic