Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 cj2a clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46 cj2a clutch
    Posted: 18 Mar. 2023 at 9:03pm
How do I know my clutch is adjusted correctly ?
Is there a simple step by step to check and adjust?
Never really messed with it. Thanks in advance for any help in this. 
And yes I have a shop manual. Just looking for any tip or easy tricks
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2023 at 9:56pm
  You have a Service Manual. Good. Congratulations. Add 4 points to your official Jeep Police Score Card. Next step - Open the Manual. Page 156, paragraph J-3. It doesn’t get any simpler or more straightforward than that. 
  It does warn you about how wear in the clutch can diminish your free play. However it doesn’t mention how wear in the clutch LINKAGE can increase free play and give a false indication. Usually, the hole in the pedal lever, where the rod connects, is worn, and so is the rod. The pedal shaft and its bracket are probably worn and loose. The other end of the rod is also usually worn, as is the hole where it enters the cross-shaft. The ball on the frame and the ball on the transfer case, where the cross-shaft pivots, are also worn down. Same for the hole in the cross-shaft lever where the cable clevis pin goes through, and the pin and clevis. And finally theres the pockets on the fork where the cable pulls and the ball where the fork pivots. ALL of these wear points will add up to give you “false free-play”. You may have the correct 1-1/2” of pedal free-play and not have the correct clearance at the throwout bearing. 
  So here’s your tip, your trick, your hint - Check all (ALL!) of those things for wear, repair or replace what needs it, and then adjust your clutch according to paragraph J-3. Easy-peasy. 
BW 

Edit to add:  Quick and easy - If you seem to have the correct freeplay, but the clutch slips or won’t release so you can get it in gear, you’ve got a problem. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 18 Mar. 2023 at 10:03pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2023 at 10:59pm
Check all that Bruce mentioned, but in your post you do not mention having a problem.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 9:11am
Thanks for the quick response. It's truely appreciated. No I'm not having a problem but planning a trip and a lot of off roading. Just going over everything and thought there might be a quick check. Thanks again. You guys are great.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 11:01am
Quick check is.

Does the pedal have free play, is the clutch engaging without slippage, and is it disengaging without grinding gears?

Still good to check the points Bruce mentioned for wear, and adjust it per the book. Wear in the clutch linkage can lead to something breaking and you don't want that way out in the woods.
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 4:01pm
Thanks will do. Had replaced all external parts and haven't put too many miles on her. So I should be good. Just looking for knowledge.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 5:32pm
Need about an inch of free play on the pedal, doesn't have to be exact just don't want it too tight as that would be like riding the clutch and will wear out the disc faster.
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2023 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Need about an inch of free play on the pedal, doesn't have to be exact just don't want it too tight as that would be like riding the clutch and will wear out the disc faster.

And the throwout bearing.  

I think while my CJ2A is down, I'm going to take pedal to bellcrank part of the linkage to town and put together a link with spherical bearings. 
1946...ish CJ2A
1976 CJ5
1995 XJ
 Post Reply Post Reply