Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ-2A - Family heirloom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46 CJ-2A - Family heirloom
    Posted: 29 May 2018 at 9:31pm
Greetings Forum members,

I've been lurking for a little while and reading up all the threads I can on rebuilds as I've been planning a rebuild of my own.  My grandpa owned a 1946 CJ-2A - Serial 14381.  It was an army surplus machine that he got just after the war to use as a farm vehicle. My mother learned to drive in it, and I remember riding in it whenever we went to visit his farm.  His farm was in California, but later he moved to central Utah.  There, when I was 5 years old, my Grandmother was driving the Jeep on a backroad when she had a stroke and died.  My grandfather and I found her there pinned underneath the overturned Jeep and went for help.  A few years later my grandfather passed away as well and the Jeep made its way to Chicago with an aunt, who tried starting it up after years of no service, and seized the engine.  It then went into storage for about 25-30 years.  WHile I've been refused for a number of years trying to purchase the Jeep from my aunt, it was only recently that she conceded, and I made the trip to Chicago to dig it out of her storage unit.  I loaded it on a uhaul, and drove it back to Seattle, where I'm planning on restoring it for my son Wilfred - named after my grandfather. 

I'm looking forward to this active community to help me out, as I'm only somewhat mechanically inclined ( based on a few years with a Volkswagen bug that I owned ).  I'll add some photos of the process... starting at the beginning.

Here's to breathing new life into an old machine!
1946 CJ-2A (under construction)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 10:08pm
An "army surplus 1946 CJ2A"?

Good luck and 'Welcome'...look forward to pictures.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 10:22pm
Here are some shots of the situation.

1) Here's a shot of how I found her... stuff in a dark corner with years of 'stuff' loaded on her back. The folks in the shot are friends of my aunt who came to help out.

2)Here's a few shots after we got the place mostly cleaned out. There's a soft top, that I believe my grandpa got made for it in the back, but I also have the old back seats and an old towing arm. Sadly, my aunt used the old accompanying trailer until the axel broke and she tossed it.

Here's the back view

Here's the dash view - 37k miles on it

Here's the front view. Note that the tires were all flat - very flat and cracked.

But... innertubes to the rescue. We pumped them up, and those old, old tires held air!!

Then, we got her up on the transport and drove on home.

Now, she's safe and sound in my garage...

Edited by Beerbelly - 30 May 2018 at 4:17am
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

An "army surplus 1946 CJ2A"?

Good luck and 'Welcome'...look forward to pictures.

I realize that sounds odd, but that's the story I have from my mother... I'll dig in and learn more. It definitely was originally Army green - under that yellow paint.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 10:42pm
Welcome, BB... looks like a great little jeep with some VEC features.  I think rocnroll's comment is borne out of the lack of any evidence that 2A's saw any use in the US military.  You gotta remember that post war the military HAD jeeps, they didn't NEED jeeps Wink... so many in fact, that the big automakers were horrified at the notion of them all coming home and flooding the market.  They were left oversees, lend leased, thrown overboard, yada yada...  

Lots of stories of 2A's in the army, but I think most come from the same good hearted place that has folks sitting in a jeep just like they drove in the war that didn't exist at the time LOL

Pop culture has done the story no favors... I watch war movies, or even MASH, and the only thing that jumps out is seven slot grills (or grills that don't hinge when they should hinge) and tailgates Confused... heck, you'll even catch a 3B in OD with stars occassionally

Have fun with it, appreciate it for what it definitely is and don't sweat what it most likely isn't Thumbs Up

MB

Edited by mbullism - 29 May 2018 at 10:45pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Welcome, BB... looks like a great little jeep with some VEC features.  I think rocnroll's comment is borne out of the lack of any evidence that 2A's saw any use in the US military.  You gotta remember that post war the military HAD jeeps, they didn't NEED jeeps Wink... so many in fact, that the big automakers were horrified at the notion of them all coming home and flooding the market.  They were left oversees, lend leased, thrown overboard, yada yada...  

Lots of stories of 2A's in the army, but I think most come from the same good hearted place that has folks sitting in a jeep just like they drove in the war that didn't exist at the time LOL

Pop culture has done the story no favors... I watch war movies, or even MASH, and the only thing that jumps out is seven slot grills (or grills that don't hinge when they should hinge) and tailgates Confused... heck, you'll even catch a 3B in OD with stars occassionally

Have fun with it, appreciate it for what it definitely is and don't sweat what it most likely isn't Thumbs Up

MB

Ahh gotcha.... I'm still learning these things and only have the familial heresay at this point.  Frankly, my interest in this Jeep is purely sentimental.

Edited by Beerbelly - 29 May 2018 at 11:02pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 11:05pm
I love the family Jeep tie in and the Utah tie in. I see it still has a Utah plate. I live in Plain City near Ogden.
My rig is named Grampa’s Jeep because it was my Grampa’s hunting rig back in the day.
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your progress.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I love the family Jeep tie in and the Utah tie in. I see it still has a Utah plate. I live in Plain City near Ogden.
My rig is named Grampa’s Jeep because it was my Grampa’s hunting rig back in the day.
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your progress.

Thanks, Smfulle!

Yeah, I can't wait to get this fixed up and hopefully re-register in Utah.  While I could be mistaken, I hope to be able to keep the old plates if I do so. 
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 11:16pm
Yeah, what MB said! Congrats on the v nice jeep(many desirable and rare features) Thing to remember anybody with enough money could buy a similar jeep but nobody can buy that story! Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 11:23pm
Congrats on a great save. You are headed for a world of fun!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:10am
WELCOME!!!!  That is a great start ..as others have stated your early A2 has lots of goddies, body with tool indents is very desirable!  Look forward to following your story.  Family jeeps are the best!
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:35am
Originally posted by Beerbelly Beerbelly wrote:

Frankly, my interest in this Jeep is purely sentimental.

While I'm totally into my 2A, I envy you folks with the family connection... can't be bought, can't be faked, can't be repro'd
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:45am
Welcome to the page, Beerbelly!  That CJ might even be a '45 that was re-titled as a '46.  Note the square washers on the front of the windshield frame and the MB-style inner w/s hold-open arms.  A very early civilian Jeep thing.  You might be interested in procuring a copy of Fred Coldwell's book, Preproduction Civilian Jeeps.  It's chock-full of interesting early CJ history. You can PM him here under his name.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 30 May 2018 at 1:48am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 3:03am
Looks like a VERY nice start.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 4:32am
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Yeah, what MB said! Congrats on the v nice jeep(many desirable and rare features) Thing to remember anybody with enough money could buy a similar jeep but nobody can buy that story! Joe W

Thanks, Joe!  I'm excited to have it as a part of the family.  Hoping to keep it in the family, at least until self-driving cars rule the road.
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 4:33am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Congrats on a great save. You are headed for a world of fun!

Thanks, ndnchf!

For me it'll be a world of learning, trial of patience, and hopefully making memories with the kids.
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 4:35am
Originally posted by mkoloc mkoloc wrote:

WELCOME!!!!  That is a great start ..as others have stated your early A2 has lots of goddies, body with tool indents is very desirable!  Look forward to following your story.  Family jeeps are the best!

Thanks for the note, mkoloc!

I'm not sure what's desirable in a Jeep, but looking forward to getting her running again. Need to see if I can dig up old pics of her with me in them.
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 4:36am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by Beerbelly Beerbelly wrote:

Frankly, my interest in this Jeep is purely sentimental.

While I'm totally into my 2A, I envy you folks with the family connection... can't be bought, can't be faked, can't be repro'd

Mb, sounds like you're off to a good start, though... You can be the one the family all talks about years down the line... the guy who passed on the good times.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>