Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ-2A - Family heirloom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 2:53pm
What a beautiful column shift! I guess they didn't get too many down here in Texas...never have seen one. Great to see all the helpers you have with you! Mine is all grown up now, so I'm back to working by myself. Keep us up on your progress!  MG
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 12:22am
Ok, keeping up with this.... progress on the dismantling.

We dove into electric system and some of the large engine compartment pieces... the head had been removed and replaced, unfortunately, but the cylinders look mostly ok.

It looks like theres a 12v regulator, but it doesn't feel like it's stock. :) 

It's got the old air filter and it's still full of oil - found that out with a surprise when I tilted it over a bit.

And two sets of wires from front to back wired to the tail lights... one wired through the frame with the old fiber wrap, and the other a plastic wrap wound past the fuel line and looped over the frame. I'm guessing the second is a special addition.

And here's a shot of the Jeep starting to look naked.  Given the head had been removed and just set back in place, I took it off to poke around see the damage. 

1946 CJ-2A (under construction)
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 5:16pm
Ok, Well I've been slacking at both posting here, and working on the Jeep.  I have, however, maintained some momentum on it, while also painting the house and re-landscaping.  I have disassembled the Jeep and am now trying to figure out a few things for the rebuild.  I also sent the engine off for a rebuild to reputable local company.

Here's a shot of the whole jeep minus engine and wheels in one picture.

Now, I have a few questions:  1) What's the best option for the frame? Powder coat,  Galvanize, Rustoleum? 

It is appealing to me to keep as many part original as possible.  Are there parts that I absolutely should replace ( aside from anything rubber )?  I was also planning on basically replacing all the nuts/bolts with stainless.  Is there a reason I shouldn't?

Also, how do I know if I should replace the struts?  Should I take them off and take them to a suspension shop to get rebuilt?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 9:33pm
Wow - you really took it all the way apart. 

My first advice is save everything - all the way down to the bolts (assuming they are in good shape - I know you have a plan to replace them with stainless - but depending on how correct you are trying to make this 1946 those bolts with the correct letters on the top are almost impossible to find).

As for the frame - I would inspect it and consider replacing / fixing the warn parts.  Normal parts that ware on the frame are - spring perches, shock mounts, clutch mounting tube.  Check for cracked metal on the frame and weld/ repair it.  Check Walck's for the repair parts for the spring perches - he has the tubes and probably the other parts to repair the frame.

The jeep came from he factory with a black painted frame.  Again depends on how close to from the factory you really want the 1946 to be.

Have fun --and save the bolts and nuts. 

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 10:38pm
I'm liking your transfer case cart.

I'm with Stev on the original bolts.  I usually end up with mostly new zinc plated nuts and bolts, but I do keep all the original EC, F, and TR bolts that are still in decent shape. I have no idea why I keep them.  I suppose it's a sentimental thing.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 12:15am
Concerning the paint, some color guides list USA Olive Drab as an optional civilian color for some years.  That Jeep sure got around.  Looks like no major rust problems.  You really have a piece of history, family and automotive.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 2:30am
Regarding painting the frame, nothing beats serious prep (pressure wash, wire wheel or sandblasting, thorough degreasing prior to paint) then epoxy primer, primer, and a urethane black. You can touch up a basic paint job with a brush or rattle can any time you want in the future.
You can also prime/paint the frame with Rustoleum--many vintage vehicle owners and hot-rodders have had good luck with this paint, and it's inexpensive. Just not as stout as epoxy primer with a single stage urethane top coat.

Powder coating is basically covering your frame with a layer of plastic. Once that layer is sliced, cut, or in any way broken, it's a "come on in" for water and moisture. The frame will then rust inside the power coat layer. Seen this happen on the underside of factory powder coated motorcycle frames. Not good. Also, powder coat doesn't allow you to touch up scratches with a rattle can.

There's also various "paint-over-rust" solutions (POR15, etc.) that have their own alleged benefits and liabilities.

Do some investigations and come to your own conclusions based on time, budget, and your own use cases.

CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 4:43am
Originally posted by Beerbelly Beerbelly wrote:

Also, how do I know if I should replace the struts?

No struts there.  You mean the springs?  You could take them to a spring shop and ask for a professional opinion.  The eyes where the C-shackles go need to be checked closely.  I hope you kept track of where the springs and the shackles came from because the right-hand and left-hand threads need to go in their proper locations.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 21 July 2018 at 4:45am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 4:57am
What a great story, and starting point! The original color looks like pasture green not olive drab to my eyes. Beautiful early CJ2A, this will be fun to keep tabs on.
Jeeps don't leak...they mark their territory.
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 3:18pm
Beerbelly,
I am following this thread with interest as I have a 45 CJ2A as well no. 11809. It is running and unrestored per se and is still Pasture Green in an oxidized format patina.

Presently all of my attention is working on a 64 Falcon Ranchero with 260 and three on the tree, which I am getting mechanical ready for the Back to the Fifties car show and cruise here in Grants Pass this upcoming week.

Best of luck with your restoration,

Frank
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 5:01am
Hey Stev,

I did end up tearing it down, as I wanted to fully refinish the frame.   It's been fun so far, though I know the real work is just beginning.

I am now considering galvanizing all the original bolts here at home.  Anyone on here done that?  Does it make sense to do so? I'm going to go do some more research on it.

Thanks for the quick list on things to repair on the frame.
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 5:03am
Ol Unreliable,

I both took pictures and filmed the removal of every part, then tagged every single one so I'd get it back to it's original spot. :)

It did throw me through a loop when those reverse thread weren't coming off, though. 
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 5:04am
Frank,

Nice!  Start posing on here when you get to moving on it.  I've been following some of the other threads for ideas and gotchas.
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2019 at 12:17am
Greetings Internet/CJ2A members, 

Let's get some updates out on this build.  It's been slow, but it is moving! After completely dismantling the whole Jeep - I then realized how big of an undertaking this was going to be.  I'm not sure why, but it surprised me.  I'd been determined from the beginning clean each piece by hand, and replace only what was necessary - mostly focused on bearings, rubberparts, and anything with too much rust.

After getting into it, I found that it's a lot of work!  Especially when I've been taking the time to clean, galvanize, and paint each piece - including the key bolts through the process, so as not to lose some of the original "stamped" pieces.

I also, found that given my relatively small knowledge of mechanical things, having "bagged and tagged" as well as making video of every piece removed has helped me immensely in getting what I've pulled apart, back together(so far, at least!).  It's taken a little extra effort, but saved me a few times when I didn't quite understand if that one piece needed to have the bend up or down.... 

Along the same lines, I've found that when I do get stuck and frustrated (like on my front differential rebuild - where I went through numerous inner oil seals), which happens all too often, hopping on to other simpler things for a bit (like sanding and painting body parts) has been a calming way to keep things progressing.

Here's a few highlights, low lights, and questions...

First,  when taking the engine out, a couple pieces dropped on the ground from inside the bell housing that I still have no clue what they are or do....  They look like they may be worn/broken pieces, likely from whatever seized the engine. Anyone able to help me identify these?

Also, as I started to dive deeper into cleaning up each of the pieces, I ran into a few sad things. Two of my leaf springs were broken - literally snapped.  So, I've opted to buy new springs, rather than try to salvage these.

But, I also found that other parts were in very good condition.  Look at these clean gears from  rear differential! They were spotless (0 rust) until I had them sitting out for a little longer than I should have, then a little surface rust started showing up, so it motivated me finish up that piece of the project more quickly - replacing the bearings, races, and seals in the whole rear axle.

Here's a shot of the beginning, middle, and end state of that axle. I wire wheeled, degreased, acided the remaining rust, neutralized the acid, etched, primed and painted.  I also had to retap the rear axle pinion threads, which I'd never had to do before. .  The top 2-3 round were mangled a bit. It was a learning experience.

Let me post this.. more coming....

Beerbelly

Edited by Beerbelly - 29 Oct. 2019 at 5:26pm
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2019 at 1:46am
Ok, so.. I've followed the same process with the frame... you can see the before in a post I made above. In this shot you can also see the leaf springs that I purchased as replacements to my broken springs.  Here's the cleaned up frame:

So then I (or at least my son did! Smile ) mounted the rear axle to the frame, which got me very excited to see the end state.  I picked up some replacement U-bolts, lugs brake lines, and brake drums too.

Then, I got stuck on the front axle for a bit and started working on the body and wheels. I picked up some new tires, and cleaned up the wheels.  Now that I look back, I wish I'd taken them in to get trued first, but I guess I can do that at a later point, if it's really killing me.

Here's a shot of the tub after sandblasting it - no rust holes!!

I decided to take the body back to its original Pasture Green.  I had very little that required rewelding. Just the brace for the spare tire. I also didnt want to do too much work in levelling out the bed, given it'll get used when I'm done.   Here's a shot of my little man hanging out in the Jeep bed.  I did decide to rhino line it.  You can also see the windshield up front. Since then, I've finished up most of the other body parts as well, fenders, rear view, tailgate, and mounting pieces too. These pieces are all out in my shed now - hopefully staying nice until they can be put on the frame.

Then I got back to the fun/challenging parts.  I cleaned up the steering gear box and column.  Here's a before and after.

I just finished up the transmission + ebrake last night after putting in a minor rebuild kit - bearings/seals.  You can see the last bit of touch up paint still wet - sitting on the premium Transmission Transport Unit  I'm looking forward to mounting this next week.

I still have some work to do on the front axle, then to finish the steering...

Someday this will be done! But, it's been such a good learning experience so far.

Beerbelly

Edited by Beerbelly - 28 Oct. 2019 at 3:24am
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2019 at 2:55am
Wow!
Just read through your build thread. 
Awesome job. 
That pasture green paint looks greatClap
Keep up the good work, getting to assemble rebuilt and freshly painted parts is the fun part. 
Thanks for sharing Big smile
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2019 at 3:38am
Howdy Beer Belly. I am a bit confused because you say you towed it to Seattle but want to register it in Utah. My guess that you live in Seattle and your son lives in Utah. Whatever I am in Lynnwood. Lemme know where you are.
Beerbelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2019 at 4:01am
Hey Beach Bum,

I’m in Lynnwood too!  You don’t drive the yellow 46, do you? I have family in Utah, and the plates I have for this JEEP are from Utah.  I was hoping to keep the old plates, potentially having a Utah family member register it there.  

Beer 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>