Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ-2A hood, question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46 CJ-2A hood, question
    Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 3:26am
My hood does not have WILLYS on the left and right side stamped in it. Is this a replacement hood? Others pointed out my tub is a replacement. Just curious. If I paint it in the spring, should I change the hood. Or does it matter. For that matter my windshield frame doesnt have WILLYS either. 

Glenn
He who toils here, hath made his mark.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 4:33am
Military did not have Willys stamps as well. If it is important for you to have Willys stamped on the hood and windshield and you have the funds then get new logo'ed reproductions like from Classic Enterprises or buy good used originals.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Jerseyhawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 5:07am
Mark, thanks. I am just getting to carried away. I just wanted an old original. I should be thankful mine doesn't need the work that others do when they start. I don't have the talent that some folks on here do. When I see what some start with and the finished products I am really amazed.  

Glenn

Edited by Jerseyhawg - 22 Oct. 2018 at 5:12am
He who toils here, hath made his mark.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 4:31pm
Replacement body assemblies either come with or without the Willys stamping. The difference for stamped parts is usually about $50 or so. The difference is because every time the logo is used a certain amount goes for royalties to Daimler-Chrysler (the current owner of the Willys trademark) for the logo's use. MD Juan, the manufacturer of the replacement body parts pays that royalty and in order to recover the cost of the logo has to pass that along to the user.

MD Juan offers the body parts in question both ways and apparently whoever ordered yours decided it wasn't important enough to warrant the extra cost.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 2:36am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

...Daimler-Chrysler (the current owner of the Willys trademark)

Not any more.  It's been Fiat-Chrysler for a few years.

MD Juan offers the body parts in question both ways and apparently whoever ordered yours decided it wasn't important enough to warrant the extra cost.

If the repro body is old enough, it would have been made before MD Juan acquired the license to use the logo.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

...Daimler-Chrysler (the current owner of the Willys trademark)

Not any more.  It's been Fiat-Chrysler for a few years.

If the repro body is old enough, it would have been made before MD Juan acquired the license to use the logo.

My bad! Fiat-Chrysler is correct.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 8:18pm
I vaguely remember a post on here where someone had a hood with "Willys" on one side but it was blank on the other side. Anyone else recall that?
 Post Reply Post Reply