Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46 CJ2A
    Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 2:34pm
Hello,
I have been using this page since starting my project and have found it extremely helpful.  I will try to update as much as possible as I move along.  This is a 46 CJ2A that I purchased from my uncle.  He acquired it sometime in the late 80's and used it as a daily driver.  Sometime in the early 90's he and my grandfather took out the engine and rebuilt it.  Since then it sat in a garage with the engine out after the rebuild.  I remember riding around in the back when I was very young.  He recently acquired a 43 MB and I became the owner of the CJ2A.  My hope it to get it running first.  It ran great 30 years ago before it was taken apart.

When I pulled the cylinder head the back two cylinders and pistons had a good amount of rust but the engine still turned.  I was able to clean it up with steel wool.  The front two cylinders looked great.  Whoever put the engine back in forgot to put the gas pedal linkage on the back of the block.  I was able to put it back on without pulling the engine thanks to the forum.

Tub is in pretty good shape with some rust in floorboards.  Hat channels are rusted out and some of the original wood remains.  Tranny looks good too.

I'll add serial #'s soon.

Not sure why some pics are upside down.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 3:21pm
Welcome Tartone!  You've got a great project there, keep up the progress reports and photos, we  love photos!

What part of Virginia are you in?  I'm in Fredericksburg.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Tartone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 3:30pm
Steve,

I am not far down the road.  I am currently stationed at Fort Lee.

Tommy
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 3:40pm
You are down the road a bit, but if you come up this way, give me a shout. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 5:34pm
Nice history with the Jeep,have fun with it and keep the pictures coming on your progress.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 6:35pm
Congrats on the acquisition, and welcome Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 6:52pm
Tommy,
Welcome to the page.  I'm just finishing up a similar engine.  rebuilt long ago by some unknown person and never ran.  At least you know who did the work on yours.  As long as the cylinders and crank journals are within spec, straight, and round things can be cleaned up and it will make a motor.   Its when things are out of spec, out of round etc. that you need a machine shop.  I've found that "rebuilt" can mean anything from painted to totally remanufactured.
Good luck on you project, The folks here have been a great help to me as they will be too you.

MDF
Tartone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2019 at 8:49pm
A little update since I have gotten back on the Jeep project once hunting season was over.  I tried to assemble everything back together but noticed the wrong cable entering the bell housing (stay cable).  I ended up pulling the engine and removing the tranny and transfer case.  I currently have the tranny apart and just finished cleaning it out today.  Most of the gears look good but I plain on replacing the 2nd gear, due to some pitting and rest on the teeth.  The first/reverse looks a little chewed up and has some putting but from what I have read it may be reusable.  I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible, with the goal of having a decently running Jeep. I will post pics below and any opinions are welcome.  This is my first time rebuilding a transmission.  I am also considering taking the engine to a machine shop for a rebuild.  I figured since the engine is already out, why not? 
I will be replacing the bearings in the transmission with sealed units in the hopes of preventing the transmission leak that came with it.

Tartone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 6:20pm
Finished the transmission rebuild, all new synchros and new second gear.  Everything seems to work correct when I manually shift it through the gears.

While I had the engine out I decided to take it in for a rebuild.  Found a machine shop that does full rebuilds.  Block was cleaned and magnafluxed.  Block is good to go and the cylinders will be bored .03 over.  Rods and mains will be .01 under.  Ordered the rebuild kit and I am excited to see how it turns out.  As far as I know, those were the original pistons in the motor.

While the engine is being rebuilt, I will concentrate on inspecting and repairing anything I find within the brake system.  Most of the lines look good, but I probably will replace the master cylinder.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 6:41pm
 LOLYou're in it to win it, now Wink

Brakes, definitely... but don't forget the steering components if they need some love.  Any plans to get into the TC while it's out?
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Tartone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 7:00pm
Definitely in it to win it!  Hoping to have it on the road shortly after getting the engine back.

I looked at the TC, and it looked in better shape than the trans (which wasn't to bad).  I'm trying to limit the cost somewhat, when I original pulled the trans I was only going to do a light overhaul.  One thing led to another and soon it was completely disassembled.  Same with the engine... one thing led to another and off she went to the machine shop!  Long story short, I will probably leave the TC as is until I see how much the engine sets me back.  
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Tartone Tartone wrote:

One thing led to another and soon it was completely disassembled....

Oh, I've seen THAT movie LOL
Tartone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2019 at 7:56pm

Engine is rebuilt and ready to be installed.  Engine rebuild kit and parts cost around $900 and labor ended up right around $1000 (they did everything from disassembly, cleaning, boring, etc. to assembly). I had the flywheel turned and will be replacing the clutch friction disc and throw out bearing.  From turning the engine over by hand the compression sounds very good.  I will find out soon enough once I get everything back together.  Hopefully, all the hard work will pay off and I will have a decently running CJ2A.  I am planning on having the entire drive train back in the vehicle this weekend, as long as I don't come across any issues.

I am pricing out some radiator replacement options and I am leaning towards an all aluminum replacement based on price and the amount of driving I plan to do with the CJ.  Looking 100% original is really not that important to me at this time.  I figure I can replace it down the road if I decide to go that route.

Replaced the master cylinder and front brake line.  I will replace all the brake flex hoses shortly also.

TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2019 at 8:49pm
I have one of those $150 aluminum radiators and while it’s not very original looking it has done great through all types of heat and cold.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2019 at 9:47pm
New pilot bushing/bearing?  
Mike in AZ
Tartone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 9:14pm
Yep, I installed a new pilot bushing also.  I made sure it fit the input shaft before pressing into flywheel, thanks to some good advice and scouring the threads on this page.
Tartone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

I have one of those $150 aluminum radiators and while it’s not very original looking it has done great through all types of heat and cold.

Which one did you purchase?

I was looking at a Champion Cooling 3 Row from JEGS or a 3 Row from AJP Distributors, both of these I found on Amazon.
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Tartone Tartone wrote:

Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

Which one did you purchase?

I was looking at a Champion Cooling 3 Row from JEGS or a 3 Row from AJP Distributors, both of these I found on Amazon.
I don't know where the previous owner got it but I believe its one of those. Sorry that is not much help
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>