Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 Flatfender Ford Flathead V8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2021 at 1:56am
For discussion:

The Edelbrock 500 is closer in size to the Holley 390. (Holley flows theirs wet, Edelbrock dry - hence the difference)
My name is Cameron Koehn.

1946 CJ2A, Frame: -----, Body: 17909. Engine: Flathead V8(proposed), Originally Harvest Tan I think.
BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2021 at 12:57pm
Great project!  A flathead will be awesome.  Where are you in California?  I’m in NoCal near Sacramento.

Take internet advice with a grain of salt.  You are on the best path. Smile

Edited by BAD ROD - 26 Dec. 2021 at 12:59pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2021 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by BAD ROD BAD ROD wrote:

Take internet advice with a grain of salt.  

So true, but I personally learn a lot from others that have traveled the same path.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2021 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

So true, but I personally learn a lot from others that have traveled the same path.

Me too and much advancement from charting my own path.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2021 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Yep.  You just need to verify the information you glean, including the source.  Way better than the old days.  World Book and Britannica encyclopedias didn't have much usable Jeep information-----
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
wish i knew more View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2021 at 6:38pm

Where are you in California?  I’m in NoCal near Sacramento.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Yes, I live in Willows about an hour north or Sacramento.

1946 CJ2A, Frame: -----, Body: 17909. Engine: Flathead V8(proposed), Originally Harvest Tan I think.
BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2021 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by wish i knew more wish i knew more wrote:

Where are you in California?  I’m in NoCal near Sacramento.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Yes, I live in Willows about an hour north or Sacramento.

Sweet!  Know Willow as I road raced at Thunderhill many times.  I want a ride in your flathead jeep when it is on the road! Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2021 at 2:15am
Ok hopefully it is more like months than years before it is working. I will update this forum on the progress so you will know when it is done.

Yep our farm has ThunderHill as background noise about half of the year. Also seems like the FlightCare helicopter comes over fairly often. Be careful out there! Motorcycles are the bad ones.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2022 at 7:52pm
Well, not much down the line of progress on the conversion. Summer is no time for jeep projects in Northern California. We spend all the time trying to keep the crops irrigated.

Not planning on pulling out the GPW engine until I have the flathead v8 running. (I want to drive the jeep as much as possible.) I have been putting quite a few miles on the jeep this summer tho. Wow! It's so much fun just to drive around. Thanks for this forum. It keeps me enthused to keep making the jeep better than when I got it, rather than just run it into the ground.

On the body: Would I be better off to purchase a complete new windshield frame (inner and outer) or pick up a partially rusted out one somewhere? My jeep came with a cj3a windshield that just doesn't look "right". 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2023 at 6:51pm
I found a original cj2a windshield and hood that I picked up. I need some parts to complete the windshield. Frame to cowl rubber seal, windshield frame center latch (both parts). The hood needs some metal shrinking done to it, some holes welded up, and some kind of repair to the broken ends of the hinge.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2023 at 10:50pm
A GPW or MB didn't have the center latch, just a handle, the windshield holds in place once the knobs are tightened. I know you have a CJ2A windshield frame, but you can do without a center latch on those too.

The cowl seals are easy to source, just get one from a reputable supplier like Walcks or RFJP. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2023 at 11:00pm
If you do get a center latch, the ones Walcks sells have the wrong bolt spacing. They are 1/4" too wide IIRC.  He said all of his had the wrong spacing so you'd have to drill out for the correct holes.  
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2023 at 2:07am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

the windshield holds in place once the knobs are tightened.

Well, this windshield does have the aftermarket adjusting arms. They do not hold the inner frame from rattling even when snugged up. This is why I was thinking I might need the latch. The picture on Walck's website only shows the lever piece and not the catch it tightens against. Does anyone make the latter part?

I guess I could try to make my own...

Edited by wish i knew more - 17 Mar. 2023 at 2:09am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2024 at 3:57pm
Well it's been a while. I've mainly been just driving the jeep like it is. I did replace the inline fuel filter so now I can run wide open indefinitely (till I'm out of gas). I'm waiting on the CHP to do a VIN verification so I can get the title. I also have been working on the Ford flathead v8. It is turning out quite a bit more hopped up than I originally anticipated. Oh well, more goodies are better, right?  

Edited by wish i knew more - 19 Feb. 2024 at 4:01pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2024 at 4:16pm

Also a question, this is how my steering wheel is. It appears as if nothing is holding it on, yet I cannot for the life of me get it off. It also looks to me like it will not be useable in the stock format as there are no threads at the top. I'll probably end up using an aftermarket column? Thanks!

Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2024 at 12:16am
I’m restoring a 1951 Ford F-1 with flathead V8 getting a refresh. Pulled the Edlebrock heads off and found there was one  7.5:1 head and one 8.5:1 head. Here’s where it get’s interesting: I CC’d the heads and found that the head marked 7.5:1 had smaller chambers than the 8.5 head. Obviously, it was surfaced one or more times in the past. New heads (at $800) are on the way. I would like to put a V8 in my Model A but the parts have become too expensive for me.

If I’m not mistaken a Stromberg 97 has .97” bores not 97 cfm If you aren’t confused yet a Stromberg 48 is actually bigger bores than the 97. The V8 runs very well on a 48. What are you using for a distributor? For several years Ford used a dist. That was vacuum advance only that required a Holley 94 to function although they never worked well and if you change the cam or most anything else it won’t work at all. The hot ticket is a SBC dist that is machined by Charlie to fit the V8. I am using one and it’s the way to go (I’m using centrifugal advance only). You want a total of no more advance (static plus distributor) than 24 degrees
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2024 at 12:34pm
Sorry, I ramble
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12