Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 Flatfender Ford Flathead V8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46 Flatfender Ford Flathead V8
    Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 9:38pm
There. Made a new topic. That's the easy part.

Edited by wish i knew more - 19 Dec. 2021 at 5:51pm
My name is Cameron Koehn.

1946 CJ2A, Frame: -----, Body: 17909. Engine: Flathead V8(proposed), Originally Harvest Tan I think.
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 10:09pm
Now what you gonna do?
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
wish i knew more View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2021 at 1:23pm
Now I'm going to measure and shove and remeasure and squeeze the flathead in there. And, and, and....scratch my head several times, maybe fairly hard. Probably won't be many pictures of the process. I thought I'd let you all know what is in the works.

Edited by wish i knew more - 16 Sep. 2021 at 1:25pm

1946 CJ2A, Frame: -----, Body: 17909. Engine: Flathead V8(proposed), Originally Harvest Tan I think.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2021 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by wish i knew more wish i knew more wrote:

Now I'm going to measure and shove and remeasure and squeeze the flathead in there. And, and, and....scratch my head several times, maybe fairly hard. Probably won't be many pictures of the process. I thought I'd let you all know what is in the works.

Contact Rocnroll on the page - he's done this and has the HP Willys HeadsWink

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/flathead-ford-v8-swap-into-2a_topic16235_page1.html

Edited by 48cj2a - 16 Sep. 2021 at 2:07pm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2021 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by wish i knew more wish i knew more wrote:

Ohhhh.. I see, not your ford produced GPW L134 flathead eh?? As in 8 holes not 4.

Edited by muley - 16 Sep. 2021 at 10:17pm
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2021 at 12:17pm
Oh, I wish you hadn't brought this up!

I know where I can get a Ford Flathead just for pulling it out of my buddy's 47 flatbed truck, and another buddy has a performance intake hanging on the wall of his barn.

I have been greatly tempted to do this over the years, but have looked into it enough to know it won't be the cheapest conversion to do.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2021 at 7:27pm
Right! I actually am pulling out the GPW engine so I can sell it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2021 at 1:08am
Update time!

I drove an hour away and picked up a flathead v8 in (hopefully) rebuildable condition. It was .030 under on the mains/rods and .080 over on the bore.

I was originally planning on just getting the engine running, but then I got to thinking. Why not just do this right the first time. So, I headed into the full teardown.

After complete disassembly, I took the block and had it bored to .100 over, decked, valve seats ground, and new cam bearings installed. I also had him resurface the heads. This turned out to be a mistake because the one of the heads was warped and he just planed it off flat, taking all the warpage off on one side. Ruined that set of heads. :(

So... I was getting ready to start reassembly and noticed one of the valve seats didn't look right. Apparently the machinist didn't bother to tell me that one of the seats was cracked. So that's where the block is currently. Waiting for me to decide where to take it for new valve seats.

In the meantime, I bought an Edelbrock 4bbl intake off Ebay. I bought all new valves, springs, guides, retainers. I bought an aluminum cam gear, engine gasket set, main and rod bearing set, and new Edelbrock 500 cfm carb.

Edited by wish i knew more - 19 Dec. 2021 at 1:25am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2021 at 1:16am
One other critical component I found was an old school flathead v8 conversion kit. It came with the bellhousing, flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and linkage parts.

Edited by wish i knew more - 19 Dec. 2021 at 1:18am

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2021 at 9:22am
You didn't ask but just offering this up....you might want to rethink that 500cfm carb.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2021 at 5:45pm
Sure? I'm curious as to why you say that. I know I can never make use of all that carb, but is there a loud reason why it wouldn't work? Time will tell...

Edited by wish i knew more - 19 Dec. 2021 at 5:47pm

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2021 at 6:45pm
On a stock engine that's way more cfm than you can use....I'm running a 390cfm and its more than I need too.

I'm no expert but have read a lot of flat head  books written by those that have fooled with them for years.....that said, I did learn that if you ask 10 people about flat head stuff  you will probably get 10 different answers.

Not telling you what to do on your own project, that's why I haven't said anything before now...you didn't ask so none of my business.....(I probably would have advised against it but that's not helping at this point)

Boring it .100 is liable to present its own problems too but opinions vary on that also.....what are your radiator plans?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2021 at 7:04pm
Plans are to buy a radiator that will fit between the headlight buckets and then modify it or have it modified for two inlets/outlets. I could custom order a radiator also, but that may get cost prohibitive. Wait?... this whole project is cost prohibitive..

Steering? That is to be decided yet..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2021 at 7:11pm
Ya that's true on more cfm than I can use, but then again most of the time it's just running on two barrels. I can't see how that is much different or worse than the flathead v8 guys that run 2 or 3 two barrel carbs. Ok, I know a 3x2 setup uses one as primary and the other two as secondaries, but not so on a 2x2.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2021 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Boring it .100 is liable to present its own problems too but opinions vary on that also...

Be glad I didn't bore it to .125...

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2021 at 7:28pm
You are in California.....common belief is all hot ridding 'secrets' all come from there. I'm sure you'll run across an expert to help if you need it.

Good luck with it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2021 at 7:36pm
Thanks for the luck! I will for sure need it!

Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2021 at 8:02pm
Good book to read is “flathead facts” by John Lawson. Lots of first hand testing and info about displacements, cranks, cams, carb setups etc.  2 97s is less than 200cfm. 3 deuces less than 300cfm but if you only use the center carb you’re back to 97cfm until the the other 2 carbs kick in. Fun with jetting. And timing  Good luck
Mike in AZ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>