Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'46 tail lights one only ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '46 tail lights one only ?
    Posted: 11 May 2008 at 4:59pm
I saw a very clean 1946 CJ2A the other day.  The jeep only had one rear tail light.  The jeep owner said that his jeep only came with one tail light.

Is this correct ?  were some 1946 jeeps sold with only one tail light,  (or does this guy need to install a second tail light to complete his restoration ?).

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 5:06pm
One is the "correct" number, Jerry, for ALL 2As (46-49)...the passenger side tail light was an "option", and considering that in their day, many cars still used only one, simplicity was an objective with these things, since they were sold essentially as a "utility" vehicle, or to use a more modern term, "TRACTOR"!!!! Besides, that "extra" light cost money, and if you weren't required to have it, why would you spend your hard-earned money for it? <g>

And just in case it's not clear, they also didn't have turn signals, seat belts, roll cages, air bags, or many of the other "necessities" that we think we are supposed to have these days! <g> (Even my Kubota tractor has turn signals, roll bar, and seat belt, and who knows?...they may decide to require air bags on 'em soon! <g>

Edited by Jus*Jack - 11 May 2008 at 5:08pm
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
Jerry M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 2:28pm
If you did not pay extra for the passenger side tail light would the jeep come with nothing their ?  - or- would this be when jeep placed a reflector on the passenger side ?
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 2:35pm
Taillight left side, round plate over the hole where the trailer connector was in WWII, and a reflector on the right would have been stock. As far as exact location, can't help ya on that  but check out the reunion pics for a few examples.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 4:29pm
Y'know...that raises an interesting question for me, and I'll have to go do some looking around for myself...if you DID purchase the optional passenger-side taillight, was it installed in the location otherwise occupied by the reflector? Never really thought about it, since I don't have that light on either of mine, and had never thought about it before. I don't recall that there were possibly TWO lights AND a reflector, so maybe it was applied (from the factory, that is) in the same general location? Anybody got any more accurate info on this?
Seeya!

<Jack>

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 4:38pm
Not sure about your question, Jack, but I know the mounting holes would be different.  I guess we'll all be looking over pictures and our own Jeeps to sort that out! Confused
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 4:42pm
I understand that the holes for the reflector would be "on a 45", Sam, whereas the taillight mounting bolts would be vertical, but was the location on the body panel essentially the same? To tell the truth, I don't know that I'd recognize an original 2-light rear end from one that was added by an owner at a later date. And if that's the case, who knows? How to identify one vs. the other in old pics now?

Put it another way...while coming down the line at the factory, were the holes for the reflector already punched, and _then_, if the order stipulated that it should have the option of another taillight, were two _more_ holes drilled, or was the panel left blank until the tub reached that stage, etc., and in either case, was the physical location of the lamp in the _same_ location as the reflector WOULD have been?

Edited by Jus*Jack - 12 May 2008 at 4:45pm
Seeya!

<Jack>

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 5:25pm
There are photos somewhere of an original dual-tail light setup.  The passenger side mounted in the same spot as the driver side, which is where the reflector originally resided.

What I'm not sure of:  did they relocate the reflector, or just eliminate it?

Would need to see an all-original to see if the holes were pre-drilled, or had knock outs installed.  Art, what's inside your wheelwell?

Reflector photos here:  http://www.cj-2a.com/parts/Body/reflector/orientation/index.html

Sean
Jerry M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 5:00am
I purchased a new left rear tail light and right rear reflector for my CJ2A from Kaiser Willys.  I just opened the box to inspect what I planned to install this coming weekend.

Can I get some measurements from the center line of the right rear quarter panel seam to the top screw reflector hole,  bottom screw reflector hole,  and measurements up from the bottom of the tub to the two screw locations ?

How about measurements to the hole locations of the left tail light ?

The metal frame of the reflector is olive brab green.  The photo's in the post above show a black frame -or- aluminum colored frame.  Should I ask for another colored reflector frame ?  (My CJ2A is now green with yellow wheels,  an olive drab green reflector frame does not match)

Am I getting to anal for an old jeep ?

Thanks for all your time & info
Jerry
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 5:23am
Here's a picture of the drivers side holes that I was provided with a while back. (I think from Sean, but I forget). the screw holes are 1/4", the orientation of the mounting holes for the taillights might have to be re-oriented as the originals were vertical and all the repro's I've seen are horizontal. The big upper hole is for the non installed trailer socket and was covered by a plate. I don't have the measurements for the right side reflector as I put taillights on both sides of mine. HTH

Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 12:13pm
I'll have to look closely for and dimples or knockouts and report back.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 2:53pm
Sean,

Seems to me the dual tail lights were not available on the 2As, but was an option starting on the 49 3As. Do you have any documentation showing them on a 2A? I'm basing this on 49 parts manual if I memory serves.

Bill
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Jerry M Jerry M wrote:

Am I getting to anal for an old jeep ?

I don't think that will be one of your worrys here. You're definately in good company. Sometimes it's almost unbelievable.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 5:02pm
Bill:
Quote Seems to me the dual tail lights were not available on the 2As, but was an option starting on the 49 3As. Do you have any documentation showing them on a 2A?
According to the '47 Parts list, the passenger side tail light was offered as an option when they first introduced the Chrome bezel lights, at s/n 45724.
Group 35-31 : Dual Tail and Stop Light

p/n 643992 - KIT, Dual Tail and Stop Light
What's most interesting is this:
"Consists of ......
643726  LIGHT, tail and stop, assembly (Chrome plated)"
This is the SAME unit as used on the driver side.  ie, it still had a license lens!

Sean
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 5:08pm
Jerry: Roc's right about the "anal" part of this crowd. <g> He's one of the worst!!!! (Just kidding!) But YOU will have to decide just how anal you really want to be about this...

An "original" tail light will set you back a HEAP of cash, IF you can even find one (usually on eBay or similar sites), and a repro will usually run about $35-$40. It will come with a black housing and chrome bezel (lens retaining ring), but the typical repro lights have the mounting bolts located horizontally, whereas the originals were vertical. There are some other differences as well, although they aren't as readily discernible. There's a good explanation of a lot of those on Sean's page (sorry, don't have the URL handy, but a little searching around this site will turn it up.)

The reflectors were either done with black paint or stainless surrounds, and there's a good discussion of those on this site as well...and a thread a couple of months ago where a couple of the members actually had some repro surrounds chrome-plated to resemble the stainless, and those were sold to other members of this Page. Don't know if there are still any available, but you might check with trader_reed.

Seeya!

<Jack>

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 6:18pm
This made me go to Sean's parts list to look when the reflector housing changed to chrome.  It took them until No. 67921 to figure out that the reflector would look better with a chrome finish now that the taillight bezel was chromed at 45xxx!

If you're dealing with a 'tweener, you need chrome on the tailight and black paint on the reflector to be correct. 

Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 6:21pm
Jerry:
Quote The metal frame of the reflector is olive brab green.  The photo's in the post above show a black frame -or- aluminum colored frame.  Should I ask for another colored reflector frame ?
Black or chrome depends on your serial number.

They were black painted up to s/n 67921, and either chrome plated, or stainless steel, after that.

You're not likely to find a "correct" one in anything but OD.  Just repaint it black if that's what you need, or strip the OD paint off if you need "chrome" look.

Quote Am I getting to anal for an old jeep ?
Not quite anal enough yet.  To join the crowd, you'll get picky about the lens itself: Big%20smile
Black should have a "Corcoran Brown Plastic #100" bezel, w/ "Grotelite #100" lens
Chrome should have a "C.M.Hall" bezel, w/"Stimsonite #12" lens
There's a good discussion about it here somewhere, try a search.

Sean
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 6:49pm
Filling in some loose ends from above:

Drivers side tail light mounting. Click for full size:

Repro vs. original (non-Willys) NACO tail light comparison:
Real vs Repro NACO
And the "Real Deal" genuine CJ-2A NACOs:
Willys CJ-2A Tail Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>