Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'46 tail lights one only ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

...Not quite anal enough yet.  To join the crowd, you'll get picky about the lens itself: Big%20smile

......and then you'll need to start worrying about the orientation of the lines inside the lenses on the reproduction NACO taillight lenses too but that's a story for another day.  Big%20smile

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 8:35pm
Sean,
    It was you that I got that picture from, maybe my memory isn't going after all. But..........................., Oh I forget.LOL  Thanks again, it was a big help when I was cutting the holes in the taillight panel
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 8:42pm
Sean,

THanks for the 47 parts manual quote. I don't have that one. Guess too many beerskis in my prior life fried those recollection braincells.

Bill
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 2:39am
Sean,

I looked closely for dimples and knockouts, but my footman loop knockouts are the only ones on the passenger side reflector panel.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 4:52am
Art:
Quote I looked closely for dimples and knockouts, but my footman loop knockouts are the only ones on the passenger side reflector panel.
So they woulda had to drill 'em by hand, each time someone ordered the option?

Must notta got many orders for them!

Sean
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 12:33pm
Sean,

You say they are in your 47 parts manual, but are they in the 45? I would suspect because they were added later in production as an option, they would not have taken the time to change the tooling for the body panels. I would also guess that you are correct, not many people got them.

There were other options that required drilling like the capstan winch. Someone had to drill holes in the bumper for the rope roller as well as drill out some of the frame rivets for the mounting plate.

Bill
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 1:43pm
I'm not at all surprised that hand drilling would be necessary for options.  In 1960-61, I worked at a Pontiac dealership and routinely installed outside rearview mirrors on new cars that had been ordered with them, but the mirrors were to be installed by the dealer.  A template came with the mirror kit to locate the holes in the door or fender properly.  We didn't drill the holes, though.   I was taught to punch them in the sheet metal with an awl and hammer.  It was great fun to do that with the buyer looking over my shoulder as the young teeenager that I was hammered a crude looking hole in the sheet metal of their new car. LOL  (The reason for the awl was to bend down the metal whcih surely happened so that the sheet metal screw holding on the mirror bracket would have something to bite into.) 
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 6:17pm
Quote You say they are in your 47 parts manual, but are they in the 45?
Nope, they weren't offer at the time of that publication. #45724 would have been about mid-'46.

Quote I would suspect because they were added later in production as an option, they would not have taken the time to change the tooling for the body panels.
Well, there's just no counting on Willys.

The heater was also optional, but they did change the firewall knockouts each time the heater location changed! Go figure.

Sean

Edited by sean - 10 July 2008 at 6:19pm
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 6:32pm
Sean, while we're on the topic of Willys' practices, it seems to me that the rough time that a new part was catalogued and potentially made availablr can be estimated crudely by noting the the numeric sequence of the part number assigned and bracketing the unknown "date" between a pair of parts whose availability is documented and whose numbers are above and below that of the part having an unknown date.  In other words, my assumption is that the part numbers were assigned in time-sequence order.

I had been speculating about when in time the 3A transfer case shift lever might have been available and used just by trying to bracket the part number.  You popped up with the service bulleting before I drew any conclusion because, at the time, I did not have access to the index to part numbers that lives in the hard copy parts lists.

Does this make any sense to you?  I realize that the date a part number is assigned is not definitive as to when it was first used, although my assumption is that, ordinarily, a new part would not be used prior to its having a part number.

Edit: Just noticed that I'm kinda mixing up the threaded transfer case lever thread with this one, but, hey, we're talking Willys practices here.  Confused Wink

Edited by samcj2a - 10 July 2008 at 6:35pm
Sam

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 7:02pm
Sam:

Generally speaking, I think that's a good assumption. There are a few, but not many, exceptions.

Some fasteners have low-digit numbers, eg. 5xxxx, probably left overs from pre-war. They did introduce some of these willy-nilly among the 6xxxxx numbers.

Sean
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 7:07pm
Okay, now we know where and why the expression "willy nilly" originated.  LOL
Sam

westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

Okay, now we know where and why the expression "willy nilly" originated.  LOL

Sam.......you're too much!!!! That's great.  LOL
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Tombo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 8:46pm
Two questions, but first a THANK YOU to all of you in this series of posts. What a complete education for a new owner of a "survivor" '46. I look for details and accuracy on how it was/should be, even if I keep/choose to deviate for several reasons. And now I know what that hole is on the right side next to the tail light!

1. Is there any evidence the "factory" or authorized dealers used tail lights other than the NACO as described? I ask because of a picture reportedly showing "original" tail lights, but they had two bezel screws on the face rather than one on the side.

2. Am I deviating "too far" if I use the chrome bezel tail lights for '33-'36 Ford I found at a reasonable price (two screws on face of bezel)? A well known retailer sent me a repro NACO, but has not been able to complete my order because they have no source for the driver tail light (and now no more PAX side lights). Thanks again.

Tom
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 8:52pm
ALA (Auto Lite) is another beginning in late 48

These were available with a lic plate lens and solid for the right

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Tombo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 4:05pm
Much appreciated, great picture. Thank you. Even better than "period correct"
Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12