Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

47 CJ2A - Back in Service After a Decade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 47 CJ2A - Back in Service After a Decade
    Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 5:35pm
As I mentioned in another post I recently finished the work to get my CJ2A back in serviceable condition.

Went to DMV yesterday and got into some red tape over the price I paid for the Jeep which is written on the title. They looked up value for a 1947 CJ2A and told me the average retail was $21,000.00 so they required an Affidavit from the seller stating why this one was priced so low.

The guy I bought this Jeep from had never titled it. He gave me the title which was signed 10 years ago by the guy he bought it from. I thought I was in a fix, but this morning was able to actually find the man whose name is on the title. Found him on LinkedIn and he was in the same field of work I was in, so sent him a message and he agreed to fill out the Affidavit. Finding the guy was a long shot, but I turned out lucky.

Still can't legally drive it on the roads, but I did put it to work today gathering fallen trees and limbs in my back fields, dragging them to a burn pile and burning them. 

She looked good to me sitting in the pasture so I took some pictures. The little Jeep can pull some logs!

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 5:50pm
Average retail $21K for a 1947 CJ-2a! Where is that coming from? Inquiring minds want to know!

While your jeep looks much better than average, there is probably no way you could come close to $21K if you sold it.

It is conceivable that one restored could have that much in parts and labor, but most of us probably wouldn't expect to get that out of our rigs.

I would guess that if I were so inclined I would price Ol' Red as near and dear as I could because you can always come down in asking price but it is almost impossible to go up in asking price from what you ask originally. If I did ask $21K for Ol' Red, I suspect that she would sit quite a while before she sold at that price. (No, she's not for sale, guys...)
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 6:06pm
Yeah, I told the girl at the DMV there is no way $21,000 was "average retail", but I suppose the data she looked at is based on the overblown prices some of the "Classic Car" outfits list fully restored Jeeps for on the Internet. I know some nice Jeeps do sell for a lot in the real world, but not many from around here anyway. 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Average retail $21K for a 1947 CJ-2a!...)

The DMV, in their infinite wisdom, hasn't stopped to ponder that either that means that they ALL sell for 21K, or for every one that sells for 5K there has to be one sold for 37.. and so on (or one really great big one that sells for a million five so we can buy some at more realistic prices- so:  I'm willing to sell mine for $1,500,000.00 to help ya'll out Tongue 

(Just remember there's gonna be sales tax, too LOLWink)

Edited by mbullism - 14 Apr. 2021 at 6:10pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 6:23pm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 6:26pm
There is that one Jeep which was listed with Hemmings, and other places in recent years which is claimed to have been found in a crate somewhere in Europe left over from WW2 and of course it is in perfect condition. 

Yeah, right, and the Italian made brass frame 1951 "Colt" I saw at a local gun shop is actually a real Colt like the card in their case claims. I suppose someone disguised to look like a cheap Italian copy with the Italian markings, poor finish, and brass frame.  

Government mentality is about getting more money in taxes. Giving more money to the Government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys, you never will see any of it again.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 6:35pm
If they left off one zero that would be about 'average'. Big smile

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 7:19pm
Well...that's that.  I found it on the internet, so it must be true Ermm
Value Definitions

Original MSRP
Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price

Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable ‘as-is’. This column does not represent a ‘parts car’ or a non-running vehicle.
Note: Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered ‘Daily Drivers’ and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.

Average Retail Value
This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A “20-footer”.

High Retail Value
This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well-maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Some vehicles may be considered “matching numbers” vehicles.

Note: This column does not represent a “100 Point” or “# 1” vehicle*.

* A “100 Point” or “# 1” vehicle is not driven. It would generally be in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concours judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate regulated facility.

Edited by mbullism - 14 Apr. 2021 at 7:22pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 7:36pm
A guy wants to buy my 3B, it looks like I need to up the price now.
john
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 7:59pm
"When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value."

So, just tell the DMV that it is a "daily driver". That is about what I would expect to get out of Ol' Red, which is a daily driver; even though I have about that much in the resto-mod build.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 10:44pm
The previous owner of the Jeep graciously agreed to fill out and sign the Affidavit of transfer form the DMV gave me. His statement on why it was priced below "average retail value was "At time of sale vehicle was in poor mechanical condition, not drivable, and the body badly rusted". 

This is an entirely accurate description of the Jeep when I bought it last year. I had to rebuild much of the mechanical stuff, replace the fenders and tailgate and do some more body work on the tub just to get it where it is road worthy again.  

I think this completed and signed form will get me beyond the red tape.

I feel exceptionally lucky to have been able to find the correct guy with a simple Google search. 

No there is certainly no way this Jeep would sell for $21,000. 

I don't think it would even bring the "daily driver" value in that article, and after I get one of my other Jeeps back on the road I know I would sell it for less than $8,000, but I am not ready to sell it now. 

I think it does present fairly well for what it is, and it is in good mechanical condition now. It runs and drives very well, but a close inspection would show all the warts. The tub is pretty bad, floor panels are patched over rust, and there is a lot of body filler in the side panels. Has new fenders and tailgate. The hood has a lot of dents that don't show with the low luster paint in pictures. I may repair or replace the tub if I keep it long because it bugs me, but it is solid enough to drive.

Edited by Oldpappy - 14 Apr. 2021 at 11:01pm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 11:11pm
This ordeal with the DMV tells me I need to be proactive with getting paperwork in order for my other two project Jeeps which I paid a lot less for than this one.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2021 at 9:06pm
Went back to DMV today with the affidavit and got it titled without any more red tape. Ready for a road trip!
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2021 at 9:15pm
I've found that it depends on which clerk you deal with.
john
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2021 at 11:27pm
Just got back from driving it into town to the store. 

First time it has been on the road, and driven at "top speed" since 2010. I think my tractor may go a little faster.LOL 

However, it was the first time I got to try out all the gears. 

Just a 4 mile drive, both ways, on country tar and gravel back roads and "town" in this case consists of a general store, one church, a little opera house, a closed blacksmith shop, and a closed school.

It drove and ran very well, but the transmission is very noisy in 3rd gear (bearing whine) and it did pop out of 2nd once (syncronizer), so I will rebuild one of my extras and swap it out soon.

Everything else was fine. No slop at all in the steering, tracks well does not pull to either side, and it stops in a straight line.
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 12:42am
Glad to see it running, look good.
Phil
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 12:59am
Excellent! Enjoy!
Heading to camp tomorrow to run my '48 around a bit. Gonna get it Muddy! It's SNOWING here right now...ugh; but ground is soft and wet. Plan on giving the Supertraxions a workout!
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 2:29am
 Clap Happy for you and glad you got it all worked out. Now it is time to enjoy putting the miles on it. 

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>