Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'47 Engine Color - Red or Black??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '47 Engine Color - Red or Black??
    Posted: 15 Oct. 2012 at 2:36am
I have seen some projects on the forum with red blocks and others with black engines - which is the correct factory color for a 1947 CJ2A??

My current colors are all over the place:  oil filter canister is blue with red/orange top, oil pan is red/orange and block is black (and rusty in some areas!)

Was the whole engine and attachments like the pan and filter one color?

I'm sure this has been anwsered before, but I couldn't find it with a search.  Thanks for your advice!  Jeff
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2012 at 2:48am
Factory is black. Replacement rebuilt engines from the Willys dealer were allegedly supplied in red. Entire engine was painted black, except name plates,aluminum parts, and decals, and some oil filters were orange.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2012 at 2:53am
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

Factory is black. Replacement rebuilt engines from the Willys dealer were allegedly supplied in red. Entire engine was painted black, except name plates,aluminum parts, and decals, and some oil filters were orange.

FBill is right as always, I have had engines in both colors, one was Blue! I have heard the replacement red thing many a time as well. Black is the way to go.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2012 at 3:03am
This might be helpful for future paint color questions. http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/the-parts-paint-color-list_topic5742.html
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
WRMorrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRMorrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2012 at 3:18am
And on a slightly related note; check out the link to the FAQ in F Bill's signature.  It will answer a lot of your initial questions.  I've mulled around this site for a while, and I never saw it...until I saw it in his signature a few days ago.

-WRM 
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2012 at 11:15am
A rattle-can, in the wrong hands, is a dangerous thing.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply