Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

47 Father & Son Project CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth_V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 47 Father & Son Project CJ2A
    Posted: 13 Aug. 2017 at 6:21pm
Picked up this from friend some time ago and am starting the rebuild. Hopefully encouraging the youngest son to spend a little less screen time!!!

I am wondering why the left shackle bolt sits so far to the inside. Not sure if it is a bit of a bent frame as the bracket looks a bit bent, or spring problem. Any ideas?

windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2017 at 7:52pm
Bent shackle, good luck on your project, looks like a fun one!

'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2017 at 1:21am

Nice Project with your boy, and a great way to make quality time with him too.

RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2017 at 6:12pm
Looks like a good Start! Good Luck!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2017 at 7:21pm
A worthy goal with less screen time and a great looking starter project. Make sure the engine starts and runs; nothing is a project killer like doing a bunch of bodywork and then finding out that the engine is on the fritz.

Welcome to the forum. You will find that we take an interest in helping other owners with their rebuilds as long as there are plenty of pictures provided by said owners. Seriously, if you have questions, don't hesitate.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2017 at 7:23pm
Welcome... cool spare tire carrier
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2017 at 7:58pm
Great project.   Welcome the CJ2A Page.  Get it running and enjoy it with your son before rebuilding it.

Is that spare tire mount mounted in the bed of the Jeep?  Somewhere out in cyber land there is an amazing video of a gent (JPet I think - could be wrong on that) driving a CJ2A down a bumpy road with a spare tire in the back.  The Jeep goes over a few major bumps and the tire flies into the sky and them back into the bed of the Jeep.  Having a bed mounted spare would be a huge safety idea vs a loose spare in the bed.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2017 at 8:02pm
great looking project, now the big decision is where to start
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2017 at 8:59pm
Welcome! If it was my project, I would get it running and driving first then take your son around in it, even let him drive it. Get him excited about the Jeep!

Data---> http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2017 at 2:16am
That spare tire carrier is from a Wrangler.  It looks just like the one from my '89 YJ.

It was JPet who was in the video where the spare jumped out of the bed and back in.  Had he gone to the right a touch while the spare was airborne, he might have been very badly hurt when it came down.  Good thing he didn't.  Where would we be without him??
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Kenneth_V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenneth_V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2017 at 11:25pm
it's just sitting in the back with a few other parts. 

The carb isn't working well and it is an old Tillotson that isn't worth fixing. It just dies when I step in the gas, probably sucking air somewhere. I have a new fuel pump and solex carb to put on it until I can locate a decent priced carter wo. 

The water pump leaks like crazy so ordered a new one and a rebuild kit for the original. 

Picked up all new seals gaskets and bearings for the front and rear ends plus gaskets and seals/gaskets for the tranny, transfer case, pto and motor. I'm sure it will still leak a bit but his will slow it down!! Who knows when they were last done. 

Will be a fun project. Started cutting out some rust and banging out some dents
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2017 at 11:42pm
It looks like a good father/son project. My father never helped me much when my job was to keep the family MB running. He was also the one with the biggest grin on his face when he drove it.
uncamonkey
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2017 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

It looks like a good father/son project. My father never helped me much when my job was to keep the family MB running. He was also the one with the biggest grin on his face when he drove it.

All right, my nieces grin riding In my 3B my have equaled it.
uncamonkey
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Kenneth_V Kenneth_V wrote:

The carb isn't working well and it is an old Tillotson that isn't worth fixing. It just dies when I step in the gas, probably sucking air somewhere. I have a new fuel pump and solex carb to put on it until I can locate a decent priced carter wo. 

Might want to pick up a fuel pressure regulator for that Solex carb. The Solex won't like the 4+ pounds of pressure that your new fuel pump will be putting out. Solex likes about 1.5 pounds.

...or you might just skip to the Carter WO and forget the Solex and its problems...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

notzach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notzach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Originally posted by Kenneth_V Kenneth_V wrote:

Might want to pick up a fuel pressure regulator for that Solex carb. The Solex won't like the 4+ pounds of pressure that your new fuel pump will be putting out. Solex likes about 1.5 pounds.

...or you might just skip to the Carter WO and forget the Solex and its problems...

I agree, I just spent 2 weeks dealing with a Solex that was getting too much fuel pressure. Mine likes it around 1.5 to 1.75 lbs of fuel pressure.
- 1944 MB "Norm"
- 1960 CJ-3B
 Post Reply Post Reply