Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

47 jeep project, updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2018 at 4:39am
One thing I would recommend is to look for old pics of the things people did to flatfender Jeeps in the '50s, '60s, and '70s that they thought looked cool then.  You might decide that stock/original isn't too bad after all.  Or not, it's up to you.

This is coming from someone who has taillights from a '56 Pontiac on the back of his CJ-2A, because they go with the unknown-source headlight bezels that were on it when he bought the Jeep...  Wacko 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2018 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by jasonbass jasonbass wrote:

I DO plan on cutting the front bumper shorter and adding a stinger to it but that's about it. hell I would trade my oem bumper for something like that prob..

I think a stinger (if it's what I think it is) on a CJ2-A will look about as good, and be about as useful, as a saddle on a sow....... But that's just my (honest) opinion. LOL  BW
 whatever works! LOLLOLLOL
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2018 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

One thing I would recommend is to look for old pics of the things people did to flatfender Jeeps in the '50s, '60s, and '70s that they thought looked cool then.  You might decide that stock/original isn't too bad after all.  Or not, it's up to you.

This is coming from someone who has taillights from a '56 Pontiac on the back of his CJ-2A, because they go with the unknown-source headlight bezels that were on it when he bought the Jeep...  Wacko 

very good idea! ill get on that
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2018 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

Welcome aboard.
If your 46 had more rust coming through the paint, it could be be my 46. Tongue
Whats your VIN?
I am guessing it's later than mine, since yours dose not have the indentations on the driver's side for an ax and shovel.
You will find a lot of things where you feel a need to upgrade and at the same time can't help thinking it just won't look right if you change it.
As you have already seen, anything you remove is probably something that someone else will want...
or you will want to put back later. LOL

not sure where the vin is on them, I can take more pictures when I get off work.
I think it did have the shovel mount at one point in time but my dad might have taken it off and painted over it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2018 at 5:10pm

not sure where the vin is on them...

Technically not VIN, SN (serial number)

Upper left of firewall you have two tags painted over... bigger one is SN tag, lower/smaller one is body tag... the numbers should match.  The numbers are stamped, so the blue paint should not matter.  If it does block reading the number don't go scratching, imo... remove the tag and read it in reverse on the back Wink

There should also be a frame tag on the front frame rail drivers side, number should match, too.

Edited by mbullism - 29 Mar. 2018 at 5:13pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2018 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

not sure where the vin is on them...

Technically not VIN, SN (serial number)

Upper left of firewall you have two tags painted over... bigger one is SN tag, lower/smaller one is body tag... the numbers should match.  The numbers are stamped, so the blue paint should not matter.  If it does block reading the number don't go scratching, imo... remove the tag and read it in reverse on the back Wink

There should also be a frame tag on the front frame rail drivers side, number should match, too.

OH ok kool ill look into that when I get home

mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2018 at 7:52pm
I love the white metal top you have on your Jeep.....

Glad to see young guys getting into vintage Jeeps...my 30 something year old son would just shake his head when I had my 1947 Willys Jeep....

Looks great from here...

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2018 at 8:01pm
[QUOTE=mikec4193]I love the white metal top you have on your Jeep.....

Glad to see young guys getting into vintage Jeeps...my 30 something year old son would just shake his head when I had my 1947 Willys Jeep....

Looks great from here...

MikeC

[/QUOTE/]
yeah im the only one of my friends who likes old cars/trucks.. although I was looking into getting a newer corvette here someday Big smile but that's another story.

my dad has 2 or 3 of these jeep willys and two 70s-80s jeeps that he uses hunting
and they all have this same style top on them, he said they where custom made for them back in the day (he thinks). I looked all over for a name on it I cant find anything the inside of mine looks almost like new old stock its crazy

wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2018 at 9:36pm

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I DO plan on cutting the front bumper shorter and adding a stinger to it but that's about it. hell I would trade my oem bumper for something like that prob..

I think a stinger (if it's what I think it is) on a CJ2-A will look about as good, and be about as useful, as a saddle on a sow....... But that's just my (honest) opinion. LOL  BW

whatever works! LOLLOLLOL
    Great pic but he said sow not cow Still don't know what a jeep stinger is? All I could think of is welding stinger. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2018 at 9:45pm
oh my bad I read cow haha

here is a stinger on a 50s jeep

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 12:28am
Joe, they come from the rock crawling crowd.

In a downward roll (think going down ledges) instead of an 'end over end' roll where it might just fall flat on the top (if so equipped) the stinger is SUPPOSED to kind of roll it to one side or the other as a pivot point.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 1:25am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Joe, they come from the rock crawling crowd.

In a downward roll (think going down ledges) instead of an 'end over end' roll where it might just fall flat on the top (if so equipped) the stinger is SUPPOSED to kind of roll it to one side or the other as a pivot point.

Thats it! 
Thats what i was going for. I do plan on taking it offroad

jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 1:27am
Sent these to cowboy also but my jeep has no numbers!.... Ouch

jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 1:33am

wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 2:22am

Sent these to cowboy also but my jeep has no numbers!.... Ouch

The second pic made me laugh more than the first, The small holes above the coil on the firewall are where the tags go. A 46 will have 2 tags which you can buy on e-bay or Walks ect and stamp the numbers off the title on the blank tags. rockroll, thanks for the info, interesting Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 2:50am
What's funny about it?  Nomatter i have the title and cowboy pointed me to where the numbers are. 

wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 3:06am
By second pic I meant the one on the hog. Joe W
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 3:21am
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

By second pic I meant the one on the hog. Joe W

Lol oh! I thought i did something dumb on the jeep. Besides the chrome air filter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>