Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

47 jeep project, updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2018 at 2:48pm
There are times in life where you just have to try everything you can...
then toss a coin anyway to decide. LOL
1946 CJ2A 14098
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 3:39pm

finally got everything in to rebuild my front axle. this thing is HEAVY... i had to carry it about 4 yards by myself into the shop gonna sand blast some stuff and re-paint it black.

thought about polishing the diff cover also 
also i noticed that i didn't have any axle hub keys?? thought that was weird 
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 4:05pm
A friend of mine made this handy stand from an engine stand for working on axles.  Something like this might make life a little easier for you.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 5:00pm
oh wow nice, i like how you can still turn it. 
i ran out of floor jacks so i had to use these blocks lol
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 8:09pm
No keys on the front axle the hubs are turned either by the drive flanges or the locking hubs not a key like the rears.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

No keys on the front axle the hubs are turned either by the drive flanges or the locking hubs not a key like the rears.

ohhhhhhhhhhh... there's a key slot in the axle that's why i mentioned it

thank you for that info 

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 10:02pm
There is a key slot on the front hub. It is for the bearings.
uncamonkey
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

There is a key slot on the front hub. It is for the bearings.

so nothing go's there? all of my diagrams ive printed online don't show anything that i can see  

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 12:20am
There are slots that fit into them so the adjustments on the bearings don't change much.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 1:01am
  There's a keyway or slot on the spindle, not in the axle or in the hub. The two washers that go in with the nuts that control bearing adjustment have tabs that fit into the slot so that they can't turn.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

There's a keyway or slot on the spindle, not in the axle or in the hub. The two washers that go in with the nuts that control bearing adjustment have tabs that fit into the slot so that they can't turn.  BW

oh yeah! lol i forgot about that makes sense now.. thanks for that

jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 1:55pm
front axle is near done, all new bearings, seals, backing plates, brakes... 
i was only going to do the brakes and happen to do all of everything else 

side note does something go here to hold the brake line inside this bracket? there was nothing there when i took the old one off i don't believe?  

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by jasonbass jasonbass wrote:

side note does something go here to hold the brake line inside this bracket? there was nothing there when i took the old one off i don't believe?  

This is the one that Walcks sells. Most of your local auto parts places stock them, but the kid behind the counter probably won't be able to find it.

https://walcks4wd.com/clip-brake-hose.html
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by jasonbass jasonbass wrote:

This is the one that Walcks sells. Most of your local auto parts places stock them, but the kid behind the counter probably won't be able to find it.

are they different then the other clips that go on the back? in pic two you can see i have a new one on the inner of the brake hose.  i have a bag of those in the shop but i couldn't get one to slide onto it, its like theirs to much metal in the bracket to slide it in. 

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 3:15pm
As far as I know, the clips are pretty much universal. They might differentiate a little bit in style from one to another, but I don't think there is much real difference in any of them. I usually give them a little tap with a hammer to get them in. 
Smarter people than me might know differently.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

As far as I know, the clips are pretty much universal. They might differentiate a little bit in style from one to another, but I don't think there is much real difference in any of them. I usually give them a little tap with a hammer to get them in. 
Smarter people than me might know differently.

thats how i normally install them, theirs just no room to slide it down. ill get a better pic later might have to just run without them 

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 6:29pm
Stay away from the ones sold by Crown. I bought some and they have no spring in the metal after putting them in once the second time they wouldn't hold at all.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Stay away from the ones sold by Crown. I bought some and they have no spring in the metal after putting them in once the second time they wouldn't hold at all.

AH ok, thats what i have lol 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>