Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

48, 46 CJ2A's in eastern CT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CT48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 48, 46 CJ2A's in eastern CT
    Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 7:05pm
Hi from CT. Long story short, my son has heard my stories of using my uncles WW2 1942 in the woods behind my parents house back around 1963 when I was 12 years old.. I had told him how it went great even if there were no roads, as it was so tiny, it would go around trees and obstacles and was a blast to drive..

Fast forward to present, my son decided he wanted a flatfender Jeep to use for outback fishing trips on old trails.

He first bought a 48 in this website's "For Sale" forum last January, and it was a New Mexico Jeep that had a late 70s Buick V6. Well, as you know, we sometimes buy parts Jeeps...and he found a late 46 in a junkyard that had been there for 40 years...

He had planned on only using the frame and fenders and grille, but somehow fell in love with the idea of having a stock flathead four Cj2a to only use around his future "farm land", sort of like what you'd use a Gator or Side-by-Side ATV for.

I will add more pics of both Jeeps and two other flatfender chassis' he also recently bought....So, this post is just to see if I am successful with uploading pics. I hope this one pic of the junkyard 46 works. Let me know if it works on your end, as it does show on my "preview". :)

We are in Mansfield CT, in case other members are nearby.

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 7:13pm
I do see your photo.  Looks like a winner!
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 7:39pm
There are a few folks here in CT.  I'm over in the western part of the state.
CT48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CT48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 7:50pm
Thanks... It's in pretty poor shape as it was a NorthEastern plow Jeep. It looked like junk to some local people, but as I have over 5 decades of sheetmetal & mechanical "experience & tools", we just could not part it out after seeing that it survived this long.

I'm doing some metal fab on the drivers side for a couple of days while waiting for the new clutch to get here tomorrow. This 46 lost it's engine and seats while in that junkyard, but my son just found a CJ2A complete rolling chassis with a motor that was not stuck.

The motor will likely be installed by Thursday I hope.

I'm doing the metal work now because the drivers floor is beyond rotted out, and there is no way to put some sort of seat in to be able to yard test the 46 drivetrain.

I'll take some pics of the messy chaos by late today.

Here is a pic of the white New Mexico 48 when we were picking it up in upstate NY last January..
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 8:24pm
Hello from 06812... I like your Jeeps Thumbs Up Cant wait to see more pics of the 46.
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 9:18pm
Joseph, Welcome from Old Saybrook.... We're just finishing up a 46 rebuild that came out of the woods in Wallingford. It should be on the road this spring. Good luck!!!
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 11:00pm
Greetings from Douglas, MA ('bout an hour), welcome to the page Thumbs Up  Also glad you decided to not shred the '46 Clap
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
CT48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CT48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 11:08pm
Some metal work from past 2 days. I had to replace the lower part of the body here, as the floor must be welded to the sides. You might be able to see where a past owner overlayed a screwed on patch panel over the original side. That was better than if they welded or brazed it on.

This Jeep will be a work truck, so I am not wanting to get carried away, but I am trying to do fairly good/straight butt-welded patches in case my son Joe wants to make the Jeep look nicer in the future. I replicated the original type vertical seam in the doorway, and made the water drain hole too.

Below, here is the first inside piece to be made to get started on making the floor pan. It supports the front of the cargo floor, and drops down to the front floor pan. This part was originally long enough to go across the entire body, behind the seats. I decided to make just this side for now, as to replace the whole part would require the tub to be removed.

It's better for me to leave the body on, so I can keep the tub sitting on the body mounts correctly, and keep the tub from getting out of shape.

You can see the welded nut that is for the seat mounting that sits on the front edge of the cargo floor.

Here is a pic of the 46 in my small work bay. So I used the hood as a table. :) Also you can see the original grille guard that I found under junk in the passenger side floor. I confess it took a while to know what is was.

Last 2 pics for this post are the donor engine and the chassis it came from. The engine was not stuck, but had no compression on any cylinder due to crud on the valves. I have an old valve and seat grinder, so we pulled the head and ground all the valves and seats.

I could tell from the crud on the pistons that it really needed rings, but Joe decided to just do the valves to test run it. It runs so nice that it can idle even lower than a Model A Ford. We got lucky that the donor chassis had a leak free radiator and the engine runs cool. even with cardboard in front of the radiator. We need a new thermostat and wanted to see if we could get it up to temp by blocking the radiator.

The donor 2A chassis that the motor & radiator came from. The intake manifold was broken at one flange, but there was the original intake & exhaust in the 46. But the 46 one had a broken exhaust manifold and the 4 bolts to hold them together were rusted badly. I put it in my woodstove for 45 minutes and got all 4 bolts removed. LOL
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2020 at 1:57am
Thanks for sharing all your pictures and progress. 
That sheet metal work is awesomeClap
Looks like under the green it’s original color was Normandy blue. 
Good find on the grill screen. 
Keep up the good work. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
CT48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CT48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 1:00am
Spent today tackling the worst panel on the 46, the drivers side floor. I have no idea why it was so far gone, but the passenger side is fine? How is that possible?..lol

I decided to not make a fitted cardboard pattern, and just try to go by measurements to every possible place. I'm not sure if that wasted time as I had to correct one 90 degree bend flange at the rear of it, where it fits to the cross support for the cargo floor. I was able to fix my screw-up and have it look OK. :)

I did look up a repro floor a few says ago, but the ones I saw would not go far enough up along the trans tunnel, so I went with 18ga homemade floor. All of the various complicated bends are a nightmare to bend in the 4 foot box/pan brake.

Here is getting closer to the final fitting late today. I still have some shaping of the new floor to do along the entire trans tunnel. Then I can do final trimming of the old floor along the tunnel.

I almost hate to post the following pics of just how rotted this floor is. This is why some local people thought the 46 was too far gone to try saving. But, once this floor is done, all the rest of the metal fab on other areas will be easy.

Once I do the final shaping and trimming along the tunnel, then I will remove the floor to build & install new hat channels first...and then I can weld the new floor in.

The new clutch arrived late today, but I can't put the engine back in yet, as I need the room to work on the forward end of the new hat channel tomorrow.

I did pull the trans drain plug out to see if it had water...it did have some, despite the fact that this Jeep had a half cab since new, and that roof should have kept water from getting into the shift tower?

I then pulled the trans top cover off, and was surprised to see no rust in there. Gears are not chipped, and syncros look fine. If it was all rusted, I would have pulled the trans out now before installing the engine.

Below, are pics of the other parts chassis which is a CJ3A frame and a 70s Buick V6. I have no idea why they used a U-joint with the stock steering box. The white New Mexico 48 has U-joints on it's Buick V6 swap, but that's because it also has the Chevy/Saginaw steering box mounted way up front.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 3:09am
My thought on the driver floor being rusty is because it was a plow jeep, the driver was always tracking snow inside. 
Getting in and out with snow on your boots leaves a lot of moisture/ water that collects under the gas tank. 
Nice parts jeep. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Mhovey46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mhovey46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 1:38pm
Welcome to the page! Im over in Westbrook. I spotted both the junkyard 46 and that original rolling chassis on the local listings and hoped someone would save them. Im glad they went to a good home! It looks like you’re not afraid to dive right in and get things done. You will be on the road and having fun in no-time!  
-Matt

CT48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CT48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Mhovey46 Mhovey46 wrote:

I spotted both the junkyard 46 and that original rolling chassis on the local listings and hoped someone would save them.  

We took the trailer to that northern Mass wrecking yard, despite being told that a local guy was going to get there first to look at the Jeep. Lucky that he passed on it, so my son made a package deal offer on that one, and a car for me. So, he was at $400 plus towing fuel for the 46, but sold the half cab for at least 100, and got 60 for the plow without the hand pump that was bolted next to the tunnel. We have not found seat frames, and have not bought 600x16 tires yet, but the whole project likely will be $1000 total or less.

I got sidetracked today, as I decided to remove the rusted solid Master cyl, and remove/repair the frozen clutch adjuster on the cable. Easier now, and with the cylinder out, I could weld the front part of the floor hat channel properly. Strange damage to the flat plate that the master cylinder bolts onto. The rear bolt hole area of that plate was bent badly. No visible reason for that bend to even happen, as it's solid thick metal. It was not easy to get at to get it straightened. Glad I did this before the engine goes in.

I did get all 3 pieces of the hat channels welded in late today. Floor pan install tomorrow. I am getting worn out.. as I am working alone until my son gets back from a diving trip in the Fla Keys. lol
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 1:58pm
Hi CT48, I have some seat frames if you get stuck... They are not in the greatest condition, but judging by your work, you could make them work.... Progress looks great Thumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
CT48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CT48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2020 at 10:34pm
Some good news..

The good news is that after playing phone tag for almost 2 weeks with former original Willys Jeep Dealership that I had hoped to get some NOS T90-C gears from, I was told yesterday that I needed to go there in person as "we found -some- of what you need".

The place is hardcore oldtime garages chock full of old/new/parts, old Jeep Willys wagon in one indoor area, lots of memorabilia and vintage Jeep toys, photos, etc. Wow. And, old time 3 generation family still owns the place.

I hit it off really good with the Son of original owner that had opened the garage (in the 1930s, said the woman who looked up my part numbers).

Anyways, they had a used T90 partial transmission with the C input & cluster gears, (only used from 1963-to-1971) to make the 1948 T90-A with it's V6, to be able to crawl slower in the woods. They also had a Jeep NOS C cluster gear!

I also brought a list of things we'd need for the 46 and 48, so he gave me an extended tour of many areas in different buildings and also outside to look at a rough 2A.   In one room of shelves where he said the "older stuff was", he lifted up a grille laying flat on a higher shelf, to show me something on it. I was shocked to see it was the early 2A and had the bullet shaped parking lights that Joe really likes.

I got it dirt cheap, and it's not rotted after being indoors for decades. We also needed just one patina chrome headlight rim as we lost one on the trip back from NY with the 48. (The 48 grille's park light areas were cut out for huge truck lights, and the Yellow parts grille has modern motorcycle park lights)

He showed me a small area on a shelf with some small random NOS 2A parts, but I had no time to look at them. He said he had lots of NOS parts until putting them on the internet, and he said they sold fast

I'll see if they will let me take pics for you guys when I go back with my son.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2020 at 3:08am
Wow!
That sounds like an amazing place.
Thanks for sharing....I could almost picture it. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2020 at 11:12am
I've been trying call them as well...PM me the number you used so I can see if it matches the one I have Wink
LOL

ETA: ^^^sarcasm!^^^

Edited by mbullism - 11 Jan. 2020 at 1:21pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
CT48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CT48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2020 at 2:06am
A good weekend for progress as Joe finally got scheduled for a Saturday off, except he knew he'd get called in for snow/ice work by late in the day. But he did get his engine back in before he had to leave at 2pm. I continued on a bit, and also Sunday.

He was here today and we knew we'd get to see this 46 move in it's own power for the first time in at least 40 years if we finished a few things.

A member here sent me a pic that he took of it when it was still in the wrecking yard, sunk in the dirt for decades:

Here is midafternoon today,...it's now alive and running great.

the thing we wanted to know, is how well it could slow crawl without using the gas pedal, even though it has the oversized tires from the 48. It is amazing, and the steering is so light/easy and no slop in the center bellcrank or steering box.

So... out into the woods he went:

He drove around quite a bit, and later he wanted me to try it. After I did, he asked if I relived my childhood.....meaning me driving my Uncles 42 in the woods as a kid. It did feel familiar. :)

He finished the day by removing some screwed on patches, and cut off one brazed corner patch on the right side, to save me time when I make some new panels this week.

Fun day when you get to see our efforts actually pan out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>