Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '48 CJ2A #204853, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'48 CJ2A #204853, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2016 at 2:20pm
Wow, it been a long time without updating my project page!

Work has been crazy, lots of travel, and I have other hobbies too. I took part in a 100km non-stop self-supported self-navigate mountain running race in late November, which took 27.5 hours to complete... needless to say that took some training to prepare, and the training takes lots of time. But I made it and feel a huge sense of achievement for that.

Luckily my project has not stood still in the meantime. Any time I have had a few hours, I'm into the garage like a shot!

I have put my springs together with my home made spring clips, and this means I could get my axles back onto the frame and get to a rolling chassis again. This really felt like a milestone to me.

I have got my bell crank rebuilt and on the frame, then I decided it was time to paint and clean up my engine!

This is how it was in October:

And this is how it looks now. I still have to put the head gasket on and some of the extras like the water pump etc, but I think it is looking good!

I am waiting on a new fibre timing gear from Dave (Damaryxz) and a host of other parts that he put together and shipped over for me before this engine can go back onto the frame. Dave has really helped me a lot and I owe him a world of gratitude.

The brake MC and pedals are rebuilt and on the frame, new brake lines bent and installed, and I am busy now with the Ross steering box. I really hope that all my parts arrive before Christmas so that I can use some of my holiday time to make a serious dent in this rebuild! I really would like to get this frame driving by the end of 2016!

I'll try and update posts more regularly throughout the holidays.

Cheers,

Mike

1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2016 at 2:29pm
If you didn't put new copper washers on the output banjo bolt of the master cylinder, do it now. I've tried to get by on several of my Jeeps with the old copper washers and suffered having to go back. Especially if you use Dot 3 which eats paint. Wink Looking good! John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2016 at 6:08am
Looks like you have the dirty part out of the way and smooth sailing ahead. Making great progress and before you know it, you will be the envy of the South Africa with your Willys.
Phil
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2016 at 7:40am
Thanks Phil,

Kind words. Yes, a lot of the dirty work is done and many components are complete and ready for bolting together. Tranny and transfer case included.

I am learning that this is a frustrating time because a few parts you are waiting for can hold up the reassembly of a whole system. Two examples:
- I am waiting on freeze plugs for the engine which are in the shipment that Dave has sent me. Until these arrive I can't put many of the engine components back on the engine. Same goes for a replacement fibre timing gear in the same shipment.
- I am waiting on a NOS clutch throwout bearing also in the same shipment. Until I get this I can't couple the tranny and tc to the engine.

On the upside I did get an unrelated parts shipment yesterday, which contains my new clutch disk, so I can at least assemble my flywheel, clutch disk and clutch pressure plate. Just to put things in perspective, I ordered this on 5th October and it arrived yesterday! There are various parts of the project that will keep me going through December, but MAN, I have had to learn patience with this project.... LOL

More photos and updates to follow through December...

Mike

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2016 at 8:41am
Mike

I can relate to your postage issues, I think for my 8yr restoration I spent 7 years standing next to the letter box .

All good things take time, Jeep looking great.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 7:50am
Well, the update that I can report is that my consolidated parts package came in on the 24th December! My girlfriend knew I had been waiting for this for months and tied a bow around it and put it under the Christmas tree. It was honestly the best present ever.... so exciting!

The sad news is that I only got about 4 days off over Christmas due to work commitments, so had limited time to work on the project. But, I did manage to get some things done:

Freeze plugs are back in the engine, new fiber timing gear is on, head is on, all gaskets in and sealed up, and the peripherals are mostly back on. The oil pump is correctly indexed to the camshaft which it wasn't before, and the distributor is correctly pointing to 5 o'clock at cylinder #1 when it should be.

I discovered that the brass bushing in the head to accept the temp gauge probe was not right, when I did a test fit with the temp probe! Thanks to many members on this forum for their offers of help, including sending drawings to get one made here in South Africa. Adrian even offered to send one from New Zealand! I am constantly blown away by the helpfulness of members on this forum, and this from people I have never met. In the end I was able to order one from Walcks and have it sent to doctor friends who are American and were back in the US for Christmas, returning to South Africa in the New Year. It is now back here with them, I just need to pick it up.

I have been fiddling and learning about my NOS Carter WO 636SA. News from Scoutpilot is that the lack of patent numbers on the bowl means that it was made by Carter for Willys of France immediately after WW2.

My transmission and transfer case are back together, after a small issue with the rear bearing spacer length, which was causing the input and main shafts to bind up. I had a thread going on the issues, which I eventually solved by shortening the spacer by 1mm. Read about it here:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/transmission-mainshaft-endplay_topic39215.html?KW=

Here they both are, all buttoned up and ready to go back in.

I had a frustrating time with the front brake S-bends. I had bent the rest of the lines myself as shipping them from the US is prohibitive, but these looked complicated and seeing as they are small I had shipped a set over from the States early on in the project. It was an item that I had ticked off as "got the parts, simply have to install them." Shouldn't have taken more than 10 mins, right? Well, how about the part that you have ordered and had sitting in the parts cupboard for 2 years doesn't fit! Angry No matter how I twisted and pushed and pulled the s-bends, the bends were just too big and one bend was hitting on the brake backing plate while the other bend was hitting on the kingpin bearing caps. They were simply too big! Another case of new parts simply not fitting!

So in the end I had to make my own anyway, with tighter bends. Mine on the left, bought parts on the right...

This was a PITA! After bending them I discovered that there was not enough space to get the nut on and double flare the ends! So I had to cut the right length of straight pipe, put 2 nuts on, double flare both ends, and then bend the tube with the nuts on! But I eventually got it right and was pleased with the results. It took me 8 hours the make the first one and 10 mins to make the second... These are the unexpected things that can add hours and even days to your project!

Just the right amount of clearance, and everything fits as it should on both sides... Big smile

So the current status is that the brakes are in and plumbed, although not yet filled with fluid and bled.
The engine is ready to go back in, as are the transmission and transfercase. The clutch is all here (new driven disk, NOS pressure plate and NOS throwout bearing). Let's just hope there are no more unexpected fitment issues! I hope to get the engine, flywheel, clutch and T90&D18 in this coming weekend, provided I can borrow an engine crane to do the heavy lifting.

Wish me luck!

Mike

Edited by JeepSaffer - 17 Jan. 2017 at 7:58am
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 12:27pm
Nice job on the S-bends brake line. Good luck with the rest of your project.

Giles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 12:28pm
Oh and I forgot... I also finished up the Ross steering box. I ended up using more than a full pack of shims from Walcks on the top. Luckily I had a second pack on hand! Has anyone else used more than a full pack? Kinda strange that they should sell a pack than is less than what you need to set the bearing preload...? Confused

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 5:06pm
Nice work Mike!

Regarding the S-bends. I have found them to be a pain to fit even when I am putting the same one back on after taking the front end apart. I usually will not tighten down the backing plate (or the wheel cylinder if it is off of the backing plate) until after I have the S-bend started into the the threads on both ends.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2017 at 10:15am
Thanks Stan, yes, I tried loosening the brake cylinders a few turns, but it didn't help much. Maybe I could have done it if I took the whole backing plate off? Seems that making my own was the easier way to go.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2017 at 10:33am
So this past weekend I managed to borrow an engine crane, and I got some work done!

It is always a big step when an engine goes back into a jeep after a frame off restoration!

This is how I started the weekend:

Then came this:

...then this...

...and finally this

It's great to get things back on the frame, and start making some space in the garage again (although it may not look like it!)

I'm really looking forward to getting the rest of the parts on.... kinda got the feeling that i'm making good progress now!

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2017 at 5:44pm
Its looking very sharp Mike, well done.
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2017 at 12:57am
Beautiful work Mike.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2017 at 8:40pm

Always nice work, You must be seeing the light at the end of that very long tunnel

Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2017 at 8:45pm
Thanks Adrian, Tim and Phil. The encouragement means a great deal...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 7:30am
So....

Another day in the garage this past Sunday, and some more progress.

I got my repaired transmission cross member brackets drilled out to match the holes in the frame, so the transmission is now held on the frame once again, and not supported on a jack Big smile

I also mocked up the steering gear, front fender and grill to check some clearance issues, but happily all looks fine! I do need some final adjustments on the exhaust though.

I have also been working on some of the small dash gauges and lights, restoring originals. Sometimes the smaller items are even more rewarding than the big ones to repair and restore! No pictures, sorry...

The mock up with the grill and fender was exciting, because it allowed me to see the light at the end of a LONG tunnel. I can't wait to be driving this car one day. Cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 8:48am
It's been a busy time over the last few weeks.

This is what I have been working on:
  • Exhaust system - There were more holes than I realised, including in the muffler, so I have basically had a new exhaust made. This was quite a challenge because my Jeep is in my garage and immobile, so they exhaust shop had to make up the exhaust using the old one as a model. It sounds easier than it is! They basically had to make up a jig to get all the angles right. Happily, with some minor adjustment, they seem to have it right. I now have a new exhaust!

Included in this saga was me having to drill out the stud threads that had stripped in the manifold where the header flange attaches. I was gong to install an insert, but was worried about how much meat would be left after I drilled out enough for the insert. In the end I simply drilled out the 3/8" threads and tapped 7/16" UNF instead. It seems to work fine! Not original I know, but only the jeep police would know... Wink 
The muffler hangars have since been sorted out but I don't have a photo of this. It's all painted with ultra high heat paint to try and stop the rusting in the future...

• I did solve my temp gauge bushing in the cylinder head" saga. I won't write up about it here, there is a thread on it on the forum. 
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/walcks-temp-gauge-probe_topic39262.html

And here is the end result:

• Shocks are all painted and installed.
  • Thermostat installed
  • Front and rear TC yokes installed with propshafts, so that meant I could seal up the gaskets and fill the Tranny and TC with oil

Diffs also filled with gear oil. Note the original ground strap also installed....
  • Radiator fins straightened and radiator, fan and fan belt installed.

• I primed the oil pump using a 50ml horse syringe into the oil pressure pickup, and got my first leak Unhappy  But once I had figured out what was wrong, it was a relatively easy fix. Read about it here: http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/copper-washers-on-oil-pump-cover_topic39905.html

This past weekend I was actually in a position to complete some temporary wiring and crank the engine. Just the final torque of the head stud nuts.... and then that sinking feeling on the final torque sequence as one nut went soft Dead
Sadly it is the stud that is stripped and not the nut. Faced with a re-gasket and replacement of the offending nut I went ahead and fired her up anyway - AND SHE RAN... for the first time in 2 years! Super exciting!!!

So, that means I have got the following right and working well: no leaks, (oil, fuel or anywhere else), timing good, dizzy good, spark good, NOS carb is good and working, fuel pump and fuel lines working, radiator in, start motor working, good cranking (so good engine ground).

The only bad is the head which has to come off, and the front right corner stud which has to be replaced. That means I also need another gasket! I am going to try and get one of the copper ones if I can.

Well, that's my summary... and I see that a big parts shipment is sitting in Joburg for me already, courtesy of damar2yxr (Dave). I am super excited to get that with most of the parts I need to complete my rebuild...

Til next time, thanks for checking in...

Mike
Sarge 46 CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 1:28pm
Wonderful progress Mike! And congratulations on your successful engine run! It must feel so good :)
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>